Stardock CEO: Demigod Beats Piracy

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Abedeus said:
Is there even a demo version? I would like to try that game out, but I don't want to pirate it.
There is no demo yet, so if you want to know now without blindly buying something you can't return, you're looking at piracy

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
Nurb said:
Abedeus said:
Is there even a demo version? I would like to try that game out, but I don't want to pirate it.
There is no demo yet, so if you want to know now without blindly buying something you can't return, you're looking at piracy
In my book, that's the only legitimate rationalization for piracy. And even then, it's only good if the person actually deletes the game off their hard drive after say, a week. Unfortunately many people who "just download it to see if it's good" end up keeping the game, and not buying. I'm not sure why demos have suddenly become the exception rather than the rule, at least on PCs.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Liverandbacon said:
Nurb said:
Abedeus said:
In my book, that's the only legitimate rationalization for piracy. And even then, it's only good if the person actually deletes the game off their hard drive after say, a week. Unfortunately many people who "just download it to see if it's good" end up keeping the game, and not buying. I'm not sure why demos have suddenly become the exception rather than the rule, at least on PCs.
Right, so having a demo would solve a bit of piracy right there. Though my favorite quote on the subject is from one of the best articles i've read:

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/pc_game_piracy/

if you pirated the game to try it out because there wasn't a demo, it cost developers money due to a potentially lost sale. But if you decide to not buy it because you can't try it out, the developers are too stupid to care, so that potentially lost sale is immaterial. The ultimate question here - which the PC game industry avoids like the plague - is "Look, do you want me to buy your game or what?". The usual response is to inform the consumer that games are non-essential, and then subsequently complain about the dwindling sales in the PC game market when people who already know that games are non-essential decide to stop buying them because of all this bullshit. For all the hot air about piracy, people in the industry are remarkably prone to telling people to fuck off if they don't like it, as though the industry doesn't mind losing a customer anywhere near as much as they mind not being able to force people to give them money.

This is a large part of why the discussion on the matter is fruitless. Instead of actually looking at what the consumer wants (a demo) and going "Maybe we should've worked harder at giving players a way to evaluate the game we want them to drop $50 on", the response is "If you don't want to buy a game at full price sight unseen, then tough shit!" as if the consumers are suddenly the ones damaged the most by that lost sale. Way to score one for the health of the industry

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:
Shouldn't the headline be that companies have been blowing the threat of piracy way out of proportion?

I'm guessing the point the guy was making is than the game wasn't a failure because of the high levels of pirated copy's being played.
102,000 people stole this game, you don't find that a bit extreem? I mean thats around $400,0000 they will now never get.

That said I do agree that DRM is not helpful.
So, I've said it a billion times on here. I've just checked out from the library Marlon James's new book "The Book of Night Women." Now, I'm pretty sure it's pretty safe to say this book will be checked out from a library one hundred thousand times. Is that going to prevent Marlon James from being on the best seller list. I don't know. I think just the fact that the story is kind of gratuitous is going to do that, but I'm sticking with it for now. So, is that extreme?

And you're saying it's $400,000 (you put an extra zero) they'll never get? How do we know that at all?
My mistake, I did put in a extra zero.
I'm not saying the company has lost that much money, I'm saying thats money they will never see. Why would somebody steal something then pay for it?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:
Shouldn't the headline be that companies have been blowing the threat of piracy way out of proportion?

I'm guessing the point the guy was making is than the game wasn't a failure because of the high levels of pirated copy's being played.
102,000 people stole this game, you don't find that a bit extreem? I mean thats around $400,0000 they will now never get.

So, I've said it a billion times on here. I've just checked out from the library Marlon James's new book "The Book of Night Women." Now, I'm pretty sure it's pretty safe to say this book will be checked out from a library one hundred thousand times. Is that going to prevent Marlon James from being on the best seller list. I don't know. I think just the fact that the story is kind of gratuitous is going to do that, but I'm sticking with it for now. So, is that extreme?

And you're saying it's $400,000 (you put an extra zero) they'll never get? How do we know that at all?
I'm not saying the company has lost that much money, I'm saying thats money they will never see. Why would somebody steal something then pay for it?
I'm sorry... What? They didn't lose the money, but they'll never see the money. Marlon James is never going to see my money. Is that wrong?

I'm trying to make this very clear: The people who normaly get money from the sale of Demigod will not get money from the 100,000 people who priated the game.

They might get some, but more than likely they won't.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:
Knight Templar said:
Ragdrazi said:

I'm sorry... What? They didn't lose the money, but they'll never see the money. Marlon James is never going to see my money. Is that wrong?

I'm trying to make this very clear: The people who normaly get money from the sale of Demigod will not get money from the 100,000 people who priated the game.

They might get some, but more than likely they won't.
Right, but, first of all, in this case they got more than enough to be declared a success, and, secondly, as in the case of my increasing Marlon James name dropping, how do you know those people would have ever purchased anyway?

But my point is indeed they might not have sold 100,000 copys to these people, but now they won't.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Ragdrazi said:
Oh good lord. There isn't a building big enough to contain your ego, is there. Son, I'll respond to you in what ever way I deem fit. For next time you quote me, please get the fuck on up over yourself.

You seem confused as to the definition of the word "apathy." On one hand you're saying the pirates don't care one way or the other, and then on the other hand you go ahead and say they do care and are easily motivated by spite. You're not right either way, but please, please do enlighten the class. Which one do you actually think, chronobreak?
First of all, I take offense to you calling me "son". The way you respond to things, such as "What?" and "Um... no?" make you seem very petty, and any validity of your argument may be ignored because of your attitude. Yes, I have a big ego, admittedly, because I have done and continue to do many great things, and have built a fine reputation on these forums. Also, I may have come off as big headed due to my posting style, but please don't get into an e-pissing contest with me, because I'll turn the damn world into an ocean.

That being said.

I may have confused you a bit, but I choose to not change a thing I said, as they are both right, as not all things have absolutes, friend. Yes, pirates don't care if the devs of a game get any money, because they're stealing in the first place. Explain how that isn't right if you will. I've never met someone who pirates games and then goes out and buys them.

Also, I did not say anything about being motivated by spite, however I was saying they would be motivated by the challenge presented by a man saying he beat them. This is the same for all revolutions, big or small, and the pirate community have very large ego's, in thinking they can't be stopped. I've witnessed it firsthand. Some pirates like to wave around the fact that they steal, and practically dare people to do anything about it. Sound familiar? Look at the Pirate Bay. So are you saying these people just... don't exist?

I'm sorry for derailing this thread, as well. I harbor no ill will towards you, "Ragdrazi", and wish you pleasant posting. I've said all I need to say, for fear of further derailing the thread, but feel free to respond! Goodnight!

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I feel bad for the poor bastards that had to work through their holiday just because GameStop is operated by nincompoops. (Yeah, I went there.)

The game actually looks kinda sweet. The fact that less than a quarter of the players were legit saddens me to no end.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Dys said:
I have a pirated version of demigod and will buy it as soon is it gets a real release in Australia. Although I have only played it once at a lan, which the CEO seems to think is ok (a friend bought it online), I no doubt would count as one of those pirates. You're welcome to call me hypocritical but the last time I rushed off to buy a game on release it was broken (DoW2) and I couldn't play it for several weeks because of game breaking bugs, demigod still has no servers so I'll sit on my pirated version for lanning only until this is fixed.
Why not buy it online?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Glefistus said:
Pirates don't steal, they copy that floppy. Also kind of on topic, is demi god any good?
Reviews say it's good but unpolished and online (the real meat) is busted. It lacks a tutorial, and the Pantheon isn't working right, but when you can get in there it's deliciously simple and yet complex.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Miral said:
Dys said:
I have a pirated version of demigod and will buy it as soon is it gets a real release in Australia. Although I have only played it once at a lan, which the CEO seems to think is ok (a friend bought it online), I no doubt would count as one of those pirates. You're welcome to call me hypocritical but the last time I rushed off to buy a game on release it was broken (DoW2) and I couldn't play it for several weeks because of game breaking bugs, demigod still has no servers so I'll sit on my pirated version for lanning only until this is fixed.
Why not buy it online?
I'd much rather have a box and artwork for my hard earned money, not to mention running servers with which I could play the game.

shial

Jan 5, 2009
You're wrong. I pirate every single game I buy, because I don't feel like dealing with DRM. Instead, I purchase the games, leave them to sit in this cardboard box next to my bed gathering dust, and play the pirated version. I refuse to download Secucrap onto my computer, but at the same time, support anyone who provides me with entertainment. Don't make sweeping generalizations, please.

It proves everyone who downloaded THAT game is an asshat pirate. Not all.
"You use that word but I do not think it means what you think it means"

You have a valid, legit copy/license to the software. Your not running off extra copies for other people. Its not piracy. Piracy is when somebody takes something that is not theirs to begin with. You already own it, it IS yours.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
vdgmprgrmr said:
Thus, I will never pirate a game from Stardock. They're too nice for me to play their games and not give them money.
I even buy their stuff even if it doesn't really suit me.

I bought Sins of a Solar Empire, and the expansion, and I just havn't been able to get into it, but I love the concept and its fun, i just don't do multiplayer.

I'll probably pick up demigod, but it is just too connected to the online experience.

They should sell the game for 45 and the lifetime impulse activitation code for $5. Package them together in the box for normal price. Keep the pirates off the gameservers without the need for copy protection.

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
I really have a lot of fun playing demigod. Stardock also gave everyone with a legitimate copy of the game a coupon for 50% off a 2nd copy of Demigod to give to friends. They are a very classy company and I'm quite glad I spend the cash monies to buy the game.

There are problems with the game and some balance issues with the gods, but overall the game is fun. They are constantly making improvements to it between GPG and Stardock there is content coming. They are promising a really special single player "campaign" but won't reveal what that entails. I think they are doing an excellent job supporting Demigod.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
oliveira8 said:
Mromson said:
oliveira8 said:
Mromson said:
I disagree that Internet should be required to play a LAN game - though using a day0 patch to turn LAN on is perfectly fine. I love the no-DRM policy of Stardock, but I do wish they would be less hostile against piracy. Piracy is here to stay, so embrace it and you'll make even more money.
I don't think Companies that make games then those same games are pirate's bait, thus making low profit is something they want to embrace.

No company in its right mind is going to say "Piracy is okay". Cause its not
If Hollywood had it's way, we'd never be able to record anything from the TV - cause they'd "lose sales."
Your logic IS MASSIVELY FLAWED! Hollywood and the movie industry makes money by airing movies on cinemas, selling the rights to TV networks, DvD sales and other crap.

Gaming developers make money from selling games!

The movie industry has many places were to pick up money and I'm not counting merchandising and publicity.

The gaming industry only has one main place.
Just because the gaming industry hasn't been smart enough to expand their source of revenue doesn't mean that we should all cater to that.

But in any case, that's not the point. This is about evolution, both cultural and technological. When an advancement like that comes, you can't stop it. You can try to stop peoples will, but that won't change anything beyond getting people pissed off.

Humans adapt to stuff all the time. Even though we try to deny change. My logic says go with the flow, or die. Simply put. I don't pirate stuff, but will back those who do. Cause I don't see anything wrong with it. Everything isn't about money in this world.