Stardock's DRM Solution Is Gooey

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Well, A lot of this basically sounds like Steam (from what I understood), only built into the program. The one thing I would really be impressed with if they manage to make it happen is the bit about reselling your games. That's just awesome.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
SmugFrog said:
That sounds awesome. I have loved Stardock's approach to gaming ever since I found Galactic Civ II.

My biggest complaint about online-verification DRM though is for military members (like myself) that are deployed without an internet connection to a personal computer. For example, on a ship, I might pick up a game to play on the ship and not be able to play it until I get home or to a friend's house.

This almost happened to me when Half-Life 2 came out; if it had been released on-time, I would've bought it when we were in Hawaii - then I would have had to hold onto it for a few months without being able to play it because of the online verification. I would've been so pissed.
That is the whole point of Goo. Once you validate your purchase once, you will never have to have an internet connection to play the game. In fact the only time I forsee needing an internet connection with Goo is for updating/patching the game, and uninstalling/reselling the game.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
The reselling bit really does sound great. What really makes it cool to me is that it appears to be a backend program like Windows Live (One that launches along with the game) rather than a frontend program like Steam. (One that launches first, then launches the game from within itself)

That way, you don't need to wait for Goo to start before you can play your game, unlike Steam.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
This sounds way too good to be true... maybe Stardock is trying to rule the world some way or another... sneaky bastards.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
So... I can just wipe the Goo off of my games and then hand it to somebody else?

Great idea, now let the jokes roll.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Soo, their new "solution" is to bundle a copy of Impulse(which, with the exeption of it's improved offline mode is worse then Steam in every way)? Yea having the same aplication installed 20 times is obvious a better alternative to manualy downloading it once.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Goo sounds like a nice step for games. Waiting to see where this stuff winds up going.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
so Steam without the retarded having to download the same thing multiple time and various unknown errors. Hurray?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
StarDock have always been very good for this kind of thing, looking out for the customer not themselves, they came up with the 5 rules too, which stated no DRM.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
Isn't Stardock infamously known for its DRM fucking up your computer? As in, when people were complaining about Securom, people said at least it isn't as bad as Stardock?

No thanks, I'd rather not have Goo mucking up the internal workings of my computer. I'll stick with Steam.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Azeban said:
Isn't Stardock infamously known for its DRM fucking up your computer? As in, when people were complaining about Securom, people said at least it isn't as bad as Stardock?

No thanks, I'd rather not have Goo mucking up the internal workings of my computer. I'll stick with Steam.
That's StarFORCE, a shitty DRM company that makes shitty DRM. They actually posted warez of some of Stardock's games on their website after Stardock said some things about them.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Somethingfake said:
Interesting idea. Stupid name.
True.
Be interesting to see which idea works out better, "GOO" or Valves magic new system. This does sound interesting but using Steam, installing and having multiple copies for backup does sound simple and easy.

Time will tell I guess.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
LoopyDood said:
oliveira8 said:
Out4Blood4 said:
Out4Blood4 said:
oliveira8 said:
Out4Blood4 said:
oliveira8 said:
Out4Blood4 said:
Hmmm... Interesting. I am a hardy Valve and STEAM fan myself, but my brother plays Sins of a Solar Empire, and likes it a lot. However, he despises STEAM.

Mainly because he doesn't have enough memory to run Half Life 2, which he bought after seeing me having so much fun. I keep telling him that he needs to delete all his old Oblivion files and Rome Total War files in order to make room for the game he wants to play NOW.
Or just buy new hardware. xD
In this economic crisis? I think not!

Unless I make my Custom Computer (which I have yet to do), there will probably not be any purchases.

Our situation is quite ironic.
I have 3GB of RAM, he has 2GB. I have an Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE, he has an Nvidia GeForce 7600. He can play Oblivion on higher qualities than me, without having to make exterior alterations. I bought the OJ Box, played it, loved it and baked the cake (although I could not find any suitable needle injectors from any legal suppliers). I let him watch me, but I would not let him use my account (as per STEAM user agreement, and my fear that he would mess everything up). So when I came home one day to find him playing Half Life 2 (he was staying home sick) I got pissed and banned him from my room. He then decided to buy Half Life 2 for himself.

It didn't work out. He doesn't have nearly enough memory for it. It crashes at the end of each level due to loading the next level. I had to teach him to use the console to jump to a new map. He still cannot play it properly because he won't get rid of old files.

Oh yeah, I rented my computer out to him last week, so that he could play Rome Total War on my computer (because he FINALLY got sick of his screen glitching like crazy; 2 dimensional polygons obscuring the battlefield to the point of a screenshot looking like a work of Pablo Picasso) in return for playing his copy of CoD4.
Hmm..Thats odd 2GB of memory and it cant run Half Life 2? That seems more of a classic problem of a computer in dire need of a Hard Drive defrag. OR dust cleaning. Just try to ninja defrag his computer and the game should run fine.
Dude, my brother's hard drive has probably got only 1GB of space unfilled. He would never defrag if I told him to. Like I said, he has his hard drive full of old files from games that most of today's youngsters have never heard of (like Rage of Mages).

I have 128GB of space unused.
Yeah he just needs to defrag and clean the disks...smack him up real good and say the advantages of computer cleaning.
1) He would not listen to me.
2) He would throw a shoe at me.
3) He would throw the second shoe at me after I explained how pathetic his attempts at violence were.
4) After laughing a bit, he would walk out of his room, pick up the shoes, walk back into his room, sit down, and throw the shoes at me again.

Oh yeah, sorry Keane if we are getting too off topic here.
Like he said, ninja defrag! You might not convince him to do it himself, but it would be pretty easy to do it while he's away.

Out4Blood4 said:
Maybe we should stop quoting each other so much...?
What? You don't love getting a little message saying you've been quoted, like the one you're probably reading right now?
Um, lemme get this straight, 2 gigs of ram, 1 gigs of free space, awesome hardware, and he can't run HL2? Dude, that's impossible.

Here are the specs I played HL2 from start to finish: 512 MB DDRI RAM, 1.7 Ghz AthlonXP, GeForce 2 MX400 (later GF 4 MX440) and barely 1 gig of free space. Yea, I was playing on LOW settings, but it ran like a charm, no stuttering, continuous gameplay...

So there must be some more serious wrong with that computer of yours. Check the drivers and do a memtest.

mrhertz

Jan 6, 2009
Well I´m not against DRM. Im happy with Steam´s solution, and im quite comfort with it.

People who are AGAINST, are those who never worked on any software. If they did, they would know the importance.

Anyway this looks like a twisted way of implementing a DRM. That comes a better way, instead of Spore´s sick issue.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I like stardock.

Impulse was a bit late to the party, and I am one steamy gamer these days.

Azeban

Sep 27, 2008
LoopyDood said:
Azeban said:

That's StarFORCE, a shitty DRM company that makes shitty DRM. They actually posted warez of some of Stardock's games on their website after Stardock said some things about them.
My mistake. I would highly recommend that they change their name, though, if they plan to get into the DRM business. Unconscious associations with pure evil can kill any business venture.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Azeban said:

I do beleive you`re thinking of starforce which to this very day i can`t get off my computer