Starfield - No Man's Bethesda

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, it can't be a worse bait and switch that NMS, which I definitely bought based on hype.
Ironic, because No Man's Sky has more going on now with its updates, than whatever Starfield has to start with.

Reactions: gorfias

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ironic, because No Man's Sky has more going on now with its updates, than whatever Starfield has to start with.
Ah yeah, absolutely cannot fault the follow-up work that the team behind NMS put into it for free, and I've never really felt they deliberately did a bait and switch, they were just so caught up in what they thought they'd achieved that they convinced a lot of people. I think it suffers from the proc-gen issue (I'm sure I've already seen mentioned in this thread) that everything is different in a way that makes everything feel the same.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm slightly fucked off with it because some other games I want to play more announced a delay in their release dates in case they were completely overshadowed by the marketing blast around it.
They could probably have just gone ahead with the releases in retrospect ....

I just want a game that's engaging enough and long enough to play as my 'winter game'. Though it's boiling here today so not really thinking about my winter game.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Ah yeah, absolutely cannot fault the follow-up work that the team behind NMS put into it for free, and I've never really felt they deliberately did a bait and switch, they were just so caught up in what they thought they'd achieved that they convinced a lot of people. I think it suffers from the proc-gen issue (I'm sure I've already seen mentioned in this thread) that everything is different in a way that makes everything feel the same.
I don't think that's what happened with NMS. I think that at least some of the updates they released subsequently were always supposed to be there. However, they had a massive flood that destroyed almost everything they had, including most of the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of issues but it is sad how much better the tech in the game actually is and how little Starfield reacts to player actions.
Not much of a difference considering how broken Cyberpunk came out a launch, and both titles are overpriced and over hyped. At least Starfield is somewhat functional right out of the gate. I know CB works now, but that only further proves my point why these games shouldn't be rushed, and crush is super unnecessary and not worth risking the lives of people for a shitty/broken product at launch. As we've seen Starfield is not immune to this either.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think that's what happened with NMS. I think that at least some of the updates they released subsequently were always supposed to be there. However, they had a massive flood that destroyed almost everything they had, including most of the game.
Yeah, while one can (and should)) critically eye Sean Murray hyping up their next game.

There was the flood thing. Sony pushing them as a big AAA game rather then a quaint 10 man indie game or whatever it was. And obviously 7 years and like 40 expansions later now with nary a paid DLC or microtransaction in sight I'd say they've kind of earned their praise back. They also never did the "well, we know its underwhelming but here's our 14 month roadmap of stuff to try and entice you". Prettymuch just went to work, apologized and started firing stuff off.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
They could probably have just gone ahead with the releases in retrospect ....

I just want a game that's engaging enough and long enough to play as my 'winter game'. Though it's boiling here today so not really thinking about my winter game.
What sort of games are you into?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
What sort of games are you into?
Lots of things for a few hours unfortunately. I always think I'll enjoy management sims like Rimworld or Civilization, and I do for a bit. I did enjoy BG3, though I can't see myself doing another playthrough, and I'm kind of burned out on that type of game for the moment (I've also recent completed the first Solasta campaign). I never play online games

I could play Cyberpunk again I guess, I did enjoy that (though it was very short of what was promised), though I will very likely just buy Starfield (or maybe play NMS!)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm slightly fucked off with it because some other games I want to play more announced a delay in their release dates in case they were completely overshadowed by the marketing blast around it.
It's not just Starfield. This has been an insane period for hyped game releases. Balder's Gate, Armored Core, Bomb Rush Cyber Funk, Blasphemous 2, Mortal Combat, Cyberpunk 2077's expansion all out in late August/September. Plus people are still playing Diablo 4 and Final Fantasy 16.

If I had a planned release day during this period I would move it, especially if it was an RPG. Too many things with similar audiences could cannibalize each other's sales. I imagine that the hype for Starfield would be even bigger if Balder's Gate hadn't basically eaten it's lunch with everyone who isn't an Xbox fanboy.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Yeah, while one can (and should)) critically eye Sean Murray hyping up their next game.

There was the flood thing. Sony pushing them as a big AAA game rather then a quaint 10 man indie game or whatever it was. And obviously 7 years and like 40 expansions later now with nary a paid DLC or microtransaction in sight I'd say they've kind of earned their praise back. They also never did the "well, we know its underwhelming but here's our 14 month roadmap of stuff to try and entice you". Prettymuch just went to work, apologized and started firing stuff off.
It helps a ton that they put in everything in NMS that they promised to when it was being shown off. What happened was people started whining that Hello Games promised a bunch of stuff that, if they were to actually watch the development reveals they never actually promised.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of issues but it is sad how much better the tech in the game actually is and how little Starfield reacts to player actions.
Good god, is it 2014? I swear those graphics from Starfield look like they jumped straight out of Fallout 4. This is what Bethesda was working this whole time? Just Skyrim in space, and with about the technical impressiveness of a PS3 title to match? Just kidding, I knew exactly that's what it was from the jump. God, Bethesda really have become the well past their prime rock stars who still think they've got it (ie. Motley Crue) of the gaming industry. I bet Microsoft is just banking on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra with them, which is why their games still get hype. All the while not recognizing that if you're trying to compete in the Grand Prix with a 1999 Toyota Corolla, you're just going to get weird looks and laughed at. Games have evolved so much since their heyday and done what they do better. God, games have evolved so much more since those games came out! What are Bethesda even doing here anymore?

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TBF, I think the noise would've woken the guy up anyways, but I'm glad some good things are coming out of this game. Glad him, his wife, and their cat are safe

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

TBF, I think the noise would've woken the guy up anyways, but I'm glad some good things are coming out of this game. Glad him, his wife, and their cat are safe
Yeah okay reddit settle down.

I've made the decision to play with a "no encumberance" cheat enabled, because the weight limit is absolutely disgusting and it makes exploration suck because you never wanna grab anything because you'll just get overweight and running becomes a pain. So fuck it, I'm cheating and the game can huff paint.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I've made the decision to play with a "no encumberance" cheat enabled, because the weight limit is absolutely disgusting and it makes exploration suck because you never wanna grab anything because you'll just get overweight and running becomes a pain. So fuck it, I'm cheating and the game can huff paint.
Yeah ever since Oblivion I always made sure to give myself a ridiculous amount of carry weight on every Bethesda game I've played. Because FUCK THAT NOISE!

It really makes no sense if you think about it; You could be carrying 15+ different rifles, a nuke launcher, several grenades, ammo, and some clothes without zero problem. But add a fork there, and all of a sudden now you are over-encumbered?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah ever since Oblivion I always made sure to give myself a ridiculous amount of carry weight on every Bethesda game I've played. Because FUCK THAT NOISE!

It really makes no sense if you think about it; You could be carrying 15+ different rifles, a nuke launcher, several grenades, ammo, and some clothes without zero problem. But add a fork there, and all of a sudden now you are over-encumbered?
The core issue with it is that the game wants you to explore and not only just explore but also scan and collect a bunch of resources on every planet. But at the same time it's so quick to bog you down with weight. So that makes the game basically unplayable unless you completely ignore an entire aspect of the game, and in this case it means you just stop exploring and stop looting because it's not worth the hassle.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The core issue with it is that the game wants you to explore and not only just explore but also scan and collect a bunch of resources on every planet. But at the same time it's so quick to bog you down with weight. So that makes the game basically unplayable unless you completely ignore an entire aspect of the game, and in this case it means you just stop exploring and stop looting because it's not worth the hassle.
More time spent shuttling crap back and forth means more "play time" for Bethesda to brag about including in their game.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland

Inventory weight limit is one of those staple mechanics that makes less and less sense as time goes on. It feels like it's an old concession to "realism" that originated in TTRPGS, which ultimately serves little to no point in a CRPG. The most influential RPG series of the last 15 years, Dark Souls, did away with it entirely just after Demon's Souls, and no one has ever asked for its re-implementation. The biggest RPGs that have still had it (let's say Witcher 3 and Baldur's Gate 3) give you so much inventory space as to make it completely negligible. So the fact that Bethesda are still doing it, with the exact same system no less, speaks volumes about just how out of touch they are.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK

Bag of holding mod, as essential as the UI mod for Skyrim IMO.