State of Play

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I agree. If you're a more casual gamer who wants in on next gen but is only really interested in playing the major (multiplayer) games like your FIFAs, Maddens, CoDs, GTAs and whatever the flavour of the week is, then a Series S/X with Game Pass is a really compelling deal. If only two of those games you'd have gotten day one anyway are also day one on Game Pass, then the sub just paid for itself. Wait no, since games are now $70, it's actually a little cheaper. And as a bonus you can easily try games you probably wouldn't have bought otherwise. That's really compelling, and while I'm not into Game Pass, I can think of many friends who game who would be.

In a sense, you could even say PS5 is the only system on the market this gen that doesn't have a unique and compelling selling point. Switch has portability. Series S/X has Game Pass. Even Stadia has it's 'play on any internet-connected device with a screen' schtick, Google cocking up everything that could be cocked up aside.
It’s basically the same as it’s always been. PS5 basically has the PlayStation branding behind it, and the eventuality of awesome first party games. Oh, but now maybe the controller is cooler than it’s ever been too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In a sense, you could even say PS5 is the only system on the market this gen that doesn't have a unique and compelling selling point. Switch has portability. Series S/X has Game Pass. Even Stadia has it's 'play on any internet-connected device with a screen' schtick, Google cocking up everything that could be cocked up aside.
Too bad the Stadia sucks, is failing, and still dying a slow, painful death. You also have to make sure you have the best internet possible, otherwise it's going to screw up. Even with the best internet, it can still screw up and not little properly. It just now added a search bar. I freaking search bar. It took 17 months for Google to put a search bar in for stadium!

The only gimmick the PS5 have are those stupid feedback triggers. Most of which are hindrance instead of a major help. I'll be turning those off when I get my PS5. The only other unique gimmick the PS5 has are more "cinematic/movie" games. Which I wouldn't call all the great, if that's all you're going for and shutting out the smaller studios. Being ungrateful And kicking them out because they don't make all the money in the world, despite making tons of money over the years, being loyal, and getting the job done. The All or nothing, go big or go home attitude will bite them in the genitals and butt at some point.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
See, Gamepass is a great deal, and I don't think anyone is really going to dispute that.
Gamepass is undoubtedly a good deal, if you haven't played those game before, or you have a habit of replaying old shit.

That's the point i've made over and over on this forum. Everyone brags about how great of a deal that Gamepass is, but remember that those game already sold at full price before. So it's a double-dipping subscription service to have the ability to play those games again, or for the first time if you missed them. And there is ultimately no denying that it is a good offering.

But the only reason why it's such a good offering is because without Gamepass, Microsoft literally would have fucking nothing on their console. If I recall correctly the only new Xbox Series X "exclusive" (we'll pretend PC doesn't count for now) is The Medium which was an okay walking sim. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

In a sense, you could even say PS5 is the only system on the market this gen that doesn't have a unique and compelling selling point.
Except for actually having exclusive, new, good games on it. Consoles don't need gimmicks, they need games. PS5 and the Switch are the only systems currently offering new things that you can only get on their systems.

Frankly if Xbox doesn't start pumping out bangers this generation. I don't see Microsoft bothering to remain in the console market for the PS6 era unless they just want to bleed money for no reason.

Also in terms of your game's count. The PS5 has all the Ps4 titles, plus some PS2 games off the store, plus all upcoming PS5 titles. Which will only continue to expand. Not to mention those numbers are inflated by titles that are cross platform. Technically i guess only the Nintendo handhelds and the PS3, truly offer real baffling numbers because those titles weren't on everything else thanks to cartridges and lack of disc based competition in the PS1-2 era.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The only gimmick the PS5 have are those stupid feedback triggers. Most of which are hindrance instead of a major help.
Bro no disrespect, but you haven't played with the controller yet. Those new controller features are freaking awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bro no disrespect, but you haven't played with the controller yet. Those new controller features are freaking awesome.
Depending on the game. For certain action games like Devil May Cry 5 where you need to Max act or rev Nero moves, it's a nightmare. And what I heard from Pat and Woolie as far as the Resident Evil 8 demo, the triggers are more of a hindrance with the certain setting where you can shoot it like an actual gun. Causes too much delay in between the shooting. So for some games it works and for certain others it doesn't. Either way, I will have almost no use for it when I get my ps5.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Depending on the game. For certain action games like Devil May Cry 5 where you need to Max act or rev Nero moves, it's a nightmare. And what I heard from Pat and Woolie as far as the Resident Evil 8 demo, the triggers are more of a hindrance with the certain setting where you can shoot it like an actual gun. Causes too much delay in between the shooting. So for some games it works and for certain others it doesn't. Either way, I will have almost no use for it when I get my ps5.
I didn't have any issues with the way the RE8 demo played. I found the resistance helped me not miss shots, or shoot accidentally because the action has to be more deliberate. The resistance on the triggers is noticeable but not something that really gets in your way.

Not everyone will like it I guess, but like most things it's just something to get used to for some and it may take more people more time to get over that hump.

For generations of gaming we've not had a controller be as interactive or immersive as this. So people are going to have to get used to it and if they can't it usualy can be turned off, but doing so ends up leaving you missing out on one of the features of next gen play.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For generations of gaming we've not had a controller be as interactive or immersive as this. So people are going to have to get used to it and if they can't it usualy can be turned off, but doing so ends up leaving you missing out on one of the features of next gen play.
I am happy for you, but I feel like I'm not missing out on that much. If some games do it well, fine. As long as people get the option to turn it off if it does not work out or they don't like it. That's all that matters to me. That's the end of the day I just want to sit on my ass and use a regular controller. If I need a specialized controller or turbo controller I will ask for it. Because I got a special one for my Switch. Several different types in fact. All the more useful than the joy-cons.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Those new controller features are freaking awesome.
As someone who has turned off controller rumble in every game that I have played for the past 10 years, the PS5 controller does really interest me. I've always seen rumble as a gimmick, but i'll be interested to see how I feel about this.

Quick question, though - what is the battery life like? I've seen articles claiming that it can be as low as about 7 hours.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Quick question, though - what is the battery life like? I've seen articles claiming that it can be as low as about 7 hours.
I have never really tested it, as it's rare I get to play for that long in a single session. I always plug my controller in when I go to bed so *shrug*. Now with my new set up on my desk, I don't really play with the controller unplugged anyway. So I'm really the wrong person to ask.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As someone who has turned off controller rumble in every game that I have played for the past 10 years, the PS5 controller does really interest me. I've always seen rumble as a gimmick, but i'll be interested to see how I feel about this.

As far as battery life goes, I've heard nothing but great things from everyone. I've checked some forums and heard some stuff on youtube, but the batteries seem to last long enough. Definitely longer than the PS4 controllers.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
As far as battery life goes, I've heard nothing but great things from everyone. I've checked some forums and hurt some stuff on youtube, but the batteries seem to last long enough. Definitely longer than the PS4 controllers.
I feel like that is definitely true. The controller when I've used it off the charger lasts much longer than the PS4 controllers. Which for me only ever got maybe 4-5 hours of use out of a full charge. But I know I've at least used the PS5 controller longer than that one a couple of weekend occasions.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
You guys laugh but I am already out of space for my PS5; main storage.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You guys laugh but I am already out of space for my PS5; main storage.
Do you have any PS4 games installed on it? If so, consider moving them to an external SSD. Digital Foundry did some testing and found that for PS4 games there is no advantage to keeping them on the internal storage.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like that is definitely true. The controller when I've used it off the charger lasts much longer than the PS4 controllers. Which for me only ever got maybe 4-5 hours of use out of a full charge. But I know I've at least used the PS5 controller longer than that one a couple of weekend occasions.
On PS4 I usually play for 2-3 hour stretches and get 3-4 of those in before it hits one bar (Light bar set to dim but full rumble). Then I just charge it in sleep mode. Same goes for my 7.1 headphones. Usually alternating between charging the two. I’ve never had a controller or headphones literally “wear out” from battery charging personally, so it’s still preferable to the extra weight and inconvenience of buying batteries every month or whenever.

If DualSense gets better mileage with the haptic stuff on then yay DualSense.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On PS4 I usually play for 2-3 hour stretches and get 3-4 of those in before it hits one bar (Light bar set to dim but full rumble). Then I just charge it in sleep mode. Same goes for my 7.1 headphones. Usually alternating between charging the two. I’ve never had a controller or headphones literally “wear out” from battery charging personally, so it’s still preferable to the extra weight and inconvenience of buying batteries every month or whenever.

If DualSense gets better mileage with the haptic stuff on then yay DualSense.
If I remember correctly I played through and beat Miles Morales completely without having to charge the controller once. Which was about 9 hours of play give or take. Back when I first got the console I was less concerned with keeping the controller charged because of new system excitement or whatever. But don't quote me on that.

I'm one of those people who literally never seems to have problems with consoles and batteries, whereas other people see widespread problems somehow so I don't really know.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Do you have any PS4 games installed on it? If so, consider moving them to an external SSD. Digital Foundry did some testing and found that for PS4 games there is no advantage to keeping them on the internal storage.
My ps4 games are on a external hard drive. But my ps5 games can't be.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But my ps5 games can't be.
Yet.

I don't know what Sony's problem is, but they've promised those features "soon". Maybe they need to make their own external SSD's for the PS5 before it will work due to the nature of the required data transfer for the games to load properly. And if that's the case, then the chip shortages are going to only cause further delays of that.

IIRC Digitial Foundry or another tech channel spoke at length about the special read/write system in place on the PS5's harddrive which is how these new games load almost instantly, and that is why you can't just stick your games on any old hard drive you want. Ultimately it's to protect the user experience they want the user to have. So until they can create, or other 3rd party drives can figure out the data transfer, then they'll have to limit external storage to ps4 games only because those games don't care so much about how the data is read and loaded.

I would imagine that the supply shortage is likely the biggest reason as to why we can't install an extra internal drive, or use an external drive (special or not).