Staying at home is the norm... What are you reading?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Australia
Read some stuff:

Doctor Who: The Legends of Ashildr (4/5)

Star Wars: Boba Fett – Man with a Mission (2/5)

Halo: Blood Line (4/5)

Halo: Escalation – The Next 72 Hours (2/5)

Halo: Escalation – Exposure (3/5)

Halo: Escalation – The Janus Key (3/5)

Halo: Escalation – The Glass Horizon (3/5)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Finished After Dark by Murakami.
This is my third novel by the author and I think I'm picking on a trend here: these are all just strangers spontaneously having candid conversations, right? With a vague sense of danger hanging around in the back? Moody atmosphere with a jazzy soundtrack literally timestamped into the pages of the book? And a smattering of magical realism at a crucial point of the plot? I think that covers all of them.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Australia
Read some stuff:

Halo: Renegades (3/5)

Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2020 (3/5)

Sonic the Hedgehog: Volume 8 – Out of the Blue (4/5)

Aliens: Rescue (3/5)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
Kinda sad that Boku no Hero seems to be speeding towards a finale. I think so much more could have been done with the concept and the characters, but the author just kept wasting time with pointless fluff arcs. I guess the manga and anime world will just have to keep searching for Naruto and Bleach's replacements.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Kinda sad that Boku no Hero seems to be speeding towards a finale. I think so much more could have been done with the concept and the characters, but the author just kept wasting time with pointless fluff arcs.
I just know this as the crap my girlfriend ships on AO3. Apparently half the fandom is people writing smut about different characters taking it up the ass. Says she anyway.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
I just know this as the crap my girlfriend ships on AO3. Apparently half the fandom is people writing smut about different characters taking it up the ass. Says she anyway.
No, she's right. My girlfriend is the same, she started reading it way before me but dropped out after maybe a year. But of course she still read steamy fanfics about her favorite ships.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 31, 2021
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
My reading list is kinda mixed (not counting textbooks)

I am currently working through a 75 hour audiobook collection of Sherlock Holmes, currently the sign of four part of that collection.

Along with that I’m also re reading the Lincoln Lawyer series written by Michael Connelly

For my manga I’m reading:
All the weekly Shonen jump chapters (today they axed on I was enjoying which ticked me off)
The last chapter of attack on Titan (when ever it gets released)
Cardcaptors clear card arc
Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective
Blue exorcist
seraph of the end
Twin stars exorcists.

Honestly the list for manga goes on, I think I got about 30ish on the go right now haha.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Just read Tarzan the Untamed, and lots of racism and sexism in this one. Also, OtT evil Germans which ended the series' popularity in Germany, though he was a writer in the US writing in 1919, not surprising he wasn't fond of Germans. And the "twist" at the end you should have seen coming from the beginning.

Starting Tarzan the Terrible, and it's starting off with him meeting some strange non-human person, learning the language and being told about a dodgy king, a princess, conflict and...yeah, back to the classic ERB here.

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Country
Canada
My reading list is kinda mixed (not counting textbooks)

I am currently working through a 75 hour audiobook collection of Sherlock Holmes, currently the sign of four part of that collection.
Sherlock Holmes is good, but he's a little annoyingly perfect. There are only two kinds of mistakes Sherlock Holmes ever makes; the first is when he makes a mistake (breaks something, stumbles, etc.) and later it's revealed that it actually was not a mistake at all and it was instrumental to catching the culprit. The second is when he makes some trifling error in his impossible deductions that no normal person could follow let alone call an error and that doesn't actually prevent him from catching the culprit.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 31, 2021
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
Sherlock Holmes is good, but he's a little annoyingly perfect. There are only two kinds of mistakes Sherlock Holmes ever makes; the first is when he makes a mistake (breaks something, stumbles, etc.) and later it's revealed that it actually was not a mistake at all and it was instrumental to catching the culprit. The second is when he makes some trifling error in his impossible deductions that no normal person could follow let alone call an error and that doesn't actually prevent him from catching the culprit.
You hit it perfectly on the nose, he is a bit to perfect but honestly that’s one of the reason I had this urge to read his stuff again, with all the randomness going on lately in the world it’s been nice to dive into his perfect (and let’s be honest more then a little cocky) world.

Also there have been a couple of manga’s that have been drawing influence from the Sherlock Holmes mythos that I have been reading lately, so it’s been rather interesting to see what the manga authors/artists interpretation has been compared to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Brisbane
Dust of Dreams
I heard this one was a sidetrack... and it is. But, then I don't think you've understood was Erikson does.

Its interesting though. The politics between each group was fascinating and well fleshed out. Could not care about the Snake at all. I started skimming because it was going nowhere.

I actually finished month ago but couldn't write anything. The last bit with Tool was so dumb. It doesn't fit the character. Also he forgave Toc and saw the manipulation but still did what he did? For a person who does motivating so well, Erikson failed here

Onto the final chapter of this series...