Staying at home is the norm... What are you reading?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Brisbane
Join the club. :(

Actually, to be fair, it makes sense. There's a hell of a lot of novels in the world, so the chances of us being able to read and comment on the same thing are much lower when compared to other forms of media.
I tend to read a lot of these comments... but a lot I just dont read so I cant comment back.

This is partially due to the fact I still haven't finished Malazan series. Partially due to having kids and not having time. Partially due to me playing games more than reading

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Brisbane
Is this

Well what could be done to fix that, if you really want to be discussing the books you read is to start a book club of sorts and agree to read the same books and discuss them.

TBH I haven't been posting in this thread because I've been reading political theory more than anything else and I seriously doubt anyone here wants to hear about "How Pacifism helps the State" and shit like that.
I second the idea of talking about political theory books, if you have the inclination

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
Australia
Doctor Who: Twelve Angels Weeping (4/5)

TAW is one of the best, if not THE best, Doctor Who novels I've ever read. The only reason it isn't 5/5 is that because it's technically a collection of short stories, some of them are better than others, so the ones that are average drag down the absolutely excellent ones to the rating. But yeah, it's good. Considering that it's twelve stories written by one person over 6 months, each of which is drastically different in tone, it's kind of astounding that it's as good as it is.

So, yeah. There's twelve stories, each of which is themed around a DW villain species, with the exception of a Time Lord detective story and one focused on The Master. The Doctor features in some stories, but is never the focus of them (except maybe one, which plays out like a regular episode). Some of the stories are easily stand-alone, and could be read without any knowledge of the setting. Like I said, the tone varies a lot, and we get everything from humour, to noir, to a heist story, to space warfare, to supernatural horror, to psychological horror, to space opera, to murder-mysteries, to, well, everything. And most of it's done quite well.

So, yeah. Definitely a worthwhile read.