Stealing From the Next Generation

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I understand exactly what you're saying Bob, and as usual I agree with you. I hate seeing things I enjoyed as a kid be turned into some dark gritty suckfest.
The Dark Knight is the only thing I could say wasn't bad. I wouldn't let my kids watch it though.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
While I agree with you moviebob, I'd like to see a Pokemon game, not necessarily darker, but without a character who literally says:

"Would you like to join Team Rocket? We're a group of evil do-ers who steal pokemon and want to rule the world! So how about it?"

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
And now he will have a new Thundercats cartoon...

It does NOT look like a happy animation. ¬_¬

You know what? I wanna see a Lighter and Softer version of Hellraiser. Just to see if they know the reverse process.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Elesar said:
Scooby and Shaggy were always strung out on meth. And the new Battlestar (which is what I assume you're referencing) is only about 10,000 times better than the original. Not joking.

In all seriousness, you have a legit point. Trying to rework things that were inherently childish into adult concepts is going, oh how to put this gently, blow. So I agree, to a point. I just want you (and less you because I assume you know this) and everyone else to recognize 2 things:

1) Aiming a story at children is going to restrict your art. Are Wall-E and Up good films? Fuck yes, I loved them. Will they ever have as much brilliance and meaning oh what are my top 3 adult films, say Godfather, Blade Runner or A Clockwork Orange? No, never. Not their fault, but simply aiming it at a younger audience means you have to sacrifice some artistic merit. Want an example from the same director? Look at the difference in quality between Ponyo and Princess Mononoke. (And I liked Ponyo before I hear it).

2) You have to recognize what are already kind of adult themes. People assume that comics are inherently for kids, and that's not ENTIRELY wrong. But it's not entirely correct either. Batman, for example, is not an inherently childish concept. It is, when you strip away a lot of our assumptions, about a 10 year old kid who watches his parents die and, again boiling away a lot of stuff, goes completely off the wall crazy, dresses up like a Bat and starts punching criminals. Is it silly? Yes. Are there already adult concepts and stories working their way in? Oh yes.

Just some food for thought.
I hate to ask, but why are so many people fond of the A Clockwork orange film? The novels were much better. In-fact to this day I still dislike the American who decided to cut out the final chapter of the book and leave it to were Alex is still the same old douche bag he was before. So why is you all enjoy reading a book/watching of a movie with no actual Character development?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I agree completely! In fact I would gust as soon have the things I enjoyed as a child NOT grow up with me.

darknight910

Apr 15, 2008
Though I'd probably lose my collective mind if such a situation would ever befall the Pokemon universe, I'm all for trying to make the series a bit more relevant to an older audience, at least the possibility of a spin-off series like how Capcom split the Mega Man series with the original series and the X Series for older players (or I suppose you could say younger audience as they were easier then their counterparts). It seemed like Nintendo was going to go somewhere in that direction when they made Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness but nothing else happened of it.

Though I'd never wish a series like Pokemon to get all "grim n' gritty", I'd love to see the series go along to have the much more of a story behind it other then "here's your first Pokemon, collect the rest of them and fight a bunch of dudes along the way. Maybe a gang or two as well, I don't know." I'd love to hear a definitive explanation as to why Pokemon exist, who thought of capturing them in small hand-held devices and to have a "gang" that seemed like an actual threat (I know that Team Galactic was attempting to destroy and remake the universe and all that but it's kind of hard to take them seriously with what they wear and also once defeated give the "Next time gadget, next time!" speech).

My feeling is that Nintendo should have a separate series based in a Medieval fantasy setting, with humanity not having the technology or manpower at this time to tame the creatures on mass. The four island nations of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are in an uneasy trust with one another (Or maybe they're NOT island nations but were part of a larger continent at one point *hinthintnudgenudgeatdeeperbackstory*) with trade and commodities put on a stand still, allowing the player to start off at any of the island nations to call his own.

Your character would be a kind of Pokemon Hunter, a warrior whose job it is to keep the areas around town settlements and cities safe from the more vicious monsters, selling their fur, meat, horns and etc. for profit, starting off like a typical J-RPG scenario and during your first journey into dungeon to stop one of the first big bad Pokemon, you come across a magical artifact that looks to have existed either long before your time that when activated, binds a Pokemon to your whim, the game turning back into the regular Pokemon formula with a twist as combat is now always like the Double Battle feature from Ruby/Sapphire accept that the second Pokemon is your character.

As you travel through the world, you'd be viewed differently by the various people you meet and help out. Some welcome such an ability, even picturing ways to profit from it or even mass produce it (*hinthintnudgenudgeatdepperbackstory*)while others view it with contempt, finding the ability to make all but the strongest Pokemon do exactly as you will unnatural and unethical. However, as your journey continues, both to stop a potential all out war between the four nations as well as gathering a collection of Pokemon for study by a zoologist, you are joined by other "trainers", those who spent much time with certain types of Pokemon to join your party, dividing the Pokemon you own to your allies so that they're grow stronger under their care and to battle along side you. Now tell me that doesn't sound awesome!

Tl;dr version: I want Pokemon to be more like Jade Cocoon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNpRWHXzNiM

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Normalgamer said:
I hate to ask, but why are so many people fond of the A Clockwork orange film? The novels were much better. In-fact to this day I still dislike the American who decided to cut out the final chapter of the book and leave it to were Alex is still the same old douche bag he was before. So why is you all enjoy reading a book/watching of a movie with no actual Character development?
Well my love of the film A Clockwork Orange was essentially irrelevant to my point (my point being that certain stories need dark content), but given that Stanley Kubrick is both my inspiration and my favorite director, I can't let that go unchallenged, so I suppose I should respond.

Primarily (and ignoring for the moment that at the time Mr. Kubrick was living in Britain), the main reason the final chapter was "Cut" was because when he wrote the screenplay he had only read the American version which did not feature the 21st chapter. The second problem, and much more relevant, is I felt the final chapter actually detracted from the story. It felt forced, like the author had decided to make his point at the expense of a coherent character. There was no reason for him to randomly decide to give up violence, except that the author wanted to make his point. Plus, from a purely filmmaking standpoint, there is no reason to continue it past the menacing voice over in the last scene, and adding something past that in a visual medium would have detracted from the impact

The reason I'm so fond of A Clockwork Orange in film form is that it is so effective at what it is. It shows violence in brutal and realistic form with the intention of shocking it's audience, and in that respect it is a rousing success. I was bored throughout the entirety of the Saw series and A Clockwork Orange scared me more than any other film I have ever seen. So that's why I love it. You're entitled to your opinion, but that's mine, in brief.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
MovieBob said:
Stealing From the Next Generation

Geeks grow up, but that doesn't mean the things they love should.

Read Full Article
It doesn't mean it can't either. You hated Revenge of the Fallen yes? I don't suppose the giggling 8 year olds every time the most disgusting line of dialogue was uttered brought you any comfort? You know, the kids that thought Mudflap and Skidz were funny? Transformers went from pureley episodic stories to sometimes 2 and 3 part stories and finally got a full blown animated movie. That was growing with its fans. A series that survives long enough escapes it's quick buck market and finds a loyal fanbase. Many things until they reach this point are a goddamn commericial for "buy the new thing".

Transformers is a good example cause it has done both for many years successfully. New series come out pretty often, they're catered to the youth of thier time. But just as Batman doesn't owe me growing up, the series doesn't owe us Robin, or any other manner of Funning up for that matter. The Dark Knight series is darker and that works, but I love the series because of its good writing, cast, cinematography and story. Its a well done movie. Thier creative vision doesn't lend itself well to shoehorning in a little kid that knows acrobatics fighting crime in his colorful circus outfit.

If the creators want to make thier characters for kids forever then they're welcome to it, but that's a fickle audience not everyone wants to play for. Look how many new series come out for kids every year. Do they really need Transformers, Superman, and Wolverine too? I mean come on kids are stupid, they're currently paying 3 bucks a pop for packs of rubber bands that are vaguely shaped like animals, and thier dumber parents aren't slapping them.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
I like Mario the way he is now, but Bowser is a joke and i think that he should be more threatening because that would make him more satisfying to beat, and princess Peach should definetely be more affectionate because that would make it more of a prize to complete the game. She's just like Bowser, a joke, an excuse for Nintendo to make another Mario game. I would rather see her be killed by Bowser and the game consists of Mario going after revenge. But then again, that would be a tad stupid.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Note that kid-friendly source material doesn't necessarily mean rainbows and butterflies. The '90s cartoons of X-Men and Batman tackled mature themes head-on while still being pitched to the Saturday-morning-preteen audience segment. By the end of episode 2 of X-Men, one X-Man is tortured, one is dead, and one is in jail, and Jubilee's parents have disowned her. And they still had room to spend 30 minutes fighting giant robots.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
I think his "Case and point" is summed up in this fan-made Flash. It's more of a "Michael Bay's Super Mario Bros", a so-hard-core-it's-gay remake of the game's elements.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/527393

Now tell me, do you want your parents, friends, and (most importantly) Kids having to grow up with Mario being like this, or would you rather them get (more or less) the same Mario you grew up with?