Steam Boasts 7 Million Concurrent Users Over Thanksgiving

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Been with Steam since 2003, though only actively so since a bit over a year ago when I switched back to PC gaming through bundles and extremely cheap games.
Sure as hell hasn't disappointed me and I deeply regret spending so much money on non-exclusives for my PS3.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
balberoy said:
The only backdrop is the maintanance cost I have to fight for, to keep the PC up to date. (2 or 3 years back in parts for that matter....)
Really. The computer I built before this one is a 8800GT, 4GB RAM, 3GHz-ish dual core machine. It was mediocre when I built it back in 2005. It still runs almost every game on at least medium, if not high settings. I could honestly still be running it and not be much worse off than with my current machine. Keeping a PC 'up to date' costs around zero dollars unless you go for the bottom shelf crap every time you upgrade. Having to upgrade you PC every year or to 'keep up' hasn't been true since the millennium shift.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
albino boo said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I remember in threads about PC gaming that mentioning the massive numbers of users on steam, especially active users, when compared to even Xbox live is met with a "That seems dubious/ pics or it didn't happen"

Hopefully this will put to bed the notion that Steam is some kind of niche service when compared to services with slightly more aggressive marketing. Consoles have bigger individual launches because games tend to have a more 'flavor of the month' aspect to them or have become one of the only staple games a certain audience buys (See the "Call of duty, Madden/Fifa" cycle).

Steams user-base is more diverse, less homogenized and a bit more scattered but that dosen't mean it is any less huge.
The big difference is that console users only have Xbox live and PSN. Most PC users have accounts on several services. I have 256 games on steam, 10 or so on origin and 20 odd on gog. PSN and Xbox live being the only game in town means they are worth more revenue. This is what steam is aiming for with its steamOS
There's been no indication that they are aiming for that. Newell has indicated several times that steamOS will be open. I seriously doubt you will not be able to download linux games directly from Humble Bundle or other sites. Even if he was lying, you can definitely install a different distro of Linux on your PC or SteamBox and then use any storefronts that are available on Linux including the standard Linux version of Steam. You'd also get any advantages that Valve's Linux push might bring (ie, better drivers, more Linux games).

What Valve is aiming for is an OS alternative in case Microsoft shuts down third-party "app stores" in a future version of Windows. Having your business completely hinge on one of your competitors playing nice isn't a good plan.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
albino boo said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I remember in threads about PC gaming that mentioning the massive numbers of users on steam, especially active users, when compared to even Xbox live is met with a "That seems dubious/ pics or it didn't happen"

Hopefully this will put to bed the notion that Steam is some kind of niche service when compared to services with slightly more aggressive marketing. Consoles have bigger individual launches because games tend to have a more 'flavor of the month' aspect to them or have become one of the only staple games a certain audience buys (See the "Call of duty, Madden/Fifa" cycle).

Steams user-base is more diverse, less homogenized and a bit more scattered but that dosen't mean it is any less huge.
The big difference is that console users only have Xbox live and PSN. Most PC users have accounts on several services. I have 256 games on steam, 10 or so on origin and 20 odd on gog. PSN and Xbox live being the only game in town means they are worth more revenue. This is what steam is aiming for with its steamOS
Well, considering a Steambox is just a special PC, you can install other services like Origin or Uplay on it if you'd like; the point of SteamOS is not to lock down the market.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I'm surprised that more people aren't jumping to Steam. Steam sales make games cheaper than your average cup of coffee. For $60 you can buy 10-12 games sometimes. And the best thing of all, they're not used games. They're brand new, because they are digital.
Oddly enough, of the sale games from majo publishers, most of the ones I've seen are rivaled by sales of new, physical stock.

It's almost like it being digital is complete superfluous.

Hell, it's used as an excuse to keep the games more expensive year round because there is no need to depreciate for shelf real estate.

I just don't get this line of thinking, praising someone for cutting their arbitrarily high prices every so often to toss you a bone.

lancar said:
The notion that "PC gaming is dead" has been put to bed countless times by now, yet somehow it always gets back up.
Oddly enough, "PC Gaming is dead" is something I see predominantly from people refuting it. It's like "The War on Christmas" or really, any other strawman used to attack a notion that has little to no real support.

Scrumpmonkey said:
How fortunate, then, that there were articles from last year talking about Steam overtaking XBL. One really only needed to point to articles on gaming news sites such as this one to demonstrate it.

...Of course, few people did, which is a real pity. Steam proponents seemed more interested in the dogma of the claim rather than the actual evidence behind it. And honestly? I don't think this is going to change. People have the right to be skeptical, especially when the 'evidence' given isn't links to news, but "shut up, that's why" statements.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. But I fear, like Adrian Monk, I'm incredibly neurotic I'm not.

blackrave said:
So we have this information, but still no info regarding numbers of digital sales?
What a shame :/
Nothing wrong with companies being on the honour system.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Clovus said:
There's been no indication that they are aiming for that. Newell has indicated several times that steamOS will be open. I seriously doubt you will not be able to download linux games directly from Humble Bundle or other sites. Even if he was lying, you can definitely install a different distro of Linux on your PC or SteamBox and then use any storefronts that are available on Linux including the standard Linux version of Steam. You'd also get any advantages that Valve's Linux push might bring (ie, better drivers, more Linux games).

What Valve is aiming for is an OS alternative in case Microsoft shuts down third-party "app stores" in a future version of Windows. Having your business completely hinge on one of your competitors playing nice isn't a good plan.

clippen05 said:
Well, considering a Steambox is just a special PC, you can install other services like Origin or Uplay on it if you'd like; the point of SteamOS is not to lock down the market.
Android is open but how much money do Google take from the google play? SteamOS is going to come with steam built in and they will take a very high market share of all sales on SteamOS, or do you believe that Valve and google do things out of the kindness of their heart. They are both business and they are not going to spend $500000 plus without seeing a return on the bottom line

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
albino boo said:
Clovus said:

clippen05 said:
Android is open but how much money do Google take from the google play? SteamOS is going to come with steam built in and they will take a very high market share of all sales on SteamOS, or do you believe that Valve and google do things out of the kindness of their heart. They are both business and they are not going to spend $500000 plus without seeing a return on the bottom line
The point still remains that on Xbox and Playstation, there is no competition at all in regards to digital distribution. You either use their online market or you don't use anything. Sure, Steam is likely going to have the majority of the market share of steambox/steamOS users, but at least Steam ALLOWS competition. And I'd reckon that the reason that Steam would have such a good marketshare on SteamOS/Steambox is because they are, I don't know, the cheapest priced with the most features, not necessarily because it is installed by default on SteamOS. Internet Explorer comes installed by default on all Windows PCs, yet is it the most popular Web Browser out there? Nope, so your point about coming by default does not hold true to all accounts. In the case of Steam, as I said before, they will have high marketshare not because its forced (its not), but because they offer the best service.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
clippen05 said:
The point still remains that on Xbox and Playstation, there is no competition at all in regards to digital distribution. You either use their online market or you don't use anything. Sure, Steam is likely going to have the majority of the market share of steambox/steamOS users, but at least Steam ALLOWS competition. And I'd reckon that the reason that Steam would have such a good marketshare on SteamOS/Steambox is because they are, I don't know, the cheapest priced with the most features, not necessarily because it is installed by default on SteamOS. Internet Explorer comes installed by default on all Windows PCs, yet is it the most popular Web Browser out there? Nope, so your point about coming by default does not hold true to all accounts. In the case of Steam, as I said before, they will have high marketshare not because its forced (its not), but because they offer the best service.
Valve are company and they do things to make money. They have bet their money on the hope that they will have an even higher market share than they do now with steamOS. They wouldn't spend a cent on it if they didn't think it would make them more money than they are now. Its the same model that Google use with android, get other people to build the hardware and license the O/S and make a profit on sales.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
albino boo said:
Clovus said:

clippen05 said:
Where did I say anything indicating that Valve is doing this "out of the kindness of their heart"? Of course Valve is doing this to make money. Although, I think the main goal is to not end up losing insane amounts of money. If MS declares that all purchases have to go through the MS App Store in Windows 9, Valve could be in a very terrible situation if they don't have access to an alternatvie platform.

But, yeah, obviously Valve has big plans to be in everyone's living room, and they definitely would prefer if you buy all your games from them. That's not really comparable to PS and Xbox. You indicated that Valve aim to be "the only game in town", and there is just no indication that's true. No one's denying that Valve want to make money.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Clovus said:
Where did I say anything indicating that Valve is doing this "out of the kindness of their heart"? Of course Valve is doing this to make money. Although, I think the main goal is to not end up losing insane amounts of money. If MS declares that all purchases have to go through the MS App Store in Windows 9, Valve could be in a very terrible situation if they don't have access to an alternatvie platform.

But, yeah, obviously Valve has big plans to be in everyone's living room, and they definitely would prefer if you buy all your games from them. That's not really comparable to PS and Xbox. You indicated that Valve aim to be "the only game in town", and there is just no indication that's true. No one's denying that Valve want to make money.
I refer you this post I made earlier
albino boo said:
clippen05 said:
Valve are company and they do things to make money. They have bet their money on the hope that they will have an even higher market share than they do now with steamOS. They wouldn't spend a cent on it if they didn't think it would make them more money than they are now. Its the same model that Google use with android, get other people to build the hardware and license the O/S and make a profit on sales.
Also
To me that sounded like you were ascribing an altruistic intent, if that is not the case then I apologize.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
I got into steam just recently, and next year, my wife will also be jumping aboard. Just too convenient not to as pc gamers.
Fyi join the family sharing beta so you can share games with eachother. I did it with my cousin and it works great. Of course if you and the wife plan to play the same game at the same time its best to buy your own copy each. :)

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Steam Boasts 7 Million Concurrent Users Over Thanksgiving
This bodes very well for Valve's upcoming Steam Machines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128156-Valve-Unveils-Steam-Machines-Hardware-Beta-Coming-Soon], as having such a healthy install base is sure to make the initiate a success.
I'm not quite sure how this bodes well for steam machines. All this means, if I'm understanding correctly, is that a lot of people have Pc's capable of playing games. That doesn't mean that many people will buy the Steam Machine. Given how many people have already bought the new consoles, I don't know what market exactly Valve is trying to reach.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
7 million concurrent users? Kinda puts that whole billion dollar Obamacare website in perspective doesn't it?

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
GAunderrated said:
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
I got into steam just recently, and next year, my wife will also be jumping aboard. Just too convenient not to as pc gamers.
Fyi join the family sharing beta so you can share games with eachother. I did it with my cousin and it works great. Of course if you and the wife plan to play the same game at the same time its best to buy your own copy each. :)
Yeah I am considering it. A remake of kingdom rush is coming to steam, my wife was into that for weeks on end. An account upgrade unlocking everything was one of the best things I ever brought her.

Coop stuff is what we are very interested in.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Also another question I want to ask, are these active accounts of just any account that has ever been registered? I've seen people on steam and psn who haven't been online in years and most likely never will be again. Also take into account psn was free so there certainly were people who made multiple accounts. Same with Steam.

t850terminator

Nov 21, 2013
Who's the idiot who keeps saying PC gaming is dead?
Its not, neither is console gaming,
And gaming will never die.
YAY.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Anyone who wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving by playing a round of Civilization: Colonization was unfortunately outta luck, as the Steam version has inexplicably stopped working and they refuse to acknowledge it's their problem.

Therein lies the problem of having thousands of games and millions of users to cater for: at some point your tech support is just going to resort to patronising copy-paste messages.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BigTuk said:
Seriously though. It's funny, Steam is DRM obviously but... as far as DRM goes, it's the most tolerable I've come across.
The best thing about Steam, isn't that the DRM is tolerable, it's that Steam's success deters the much, much worse DRM a lot of companies WANT to push on us. It's still the most practical defense against that ugly always-online future that they want to force onto the market.

I definitely know that Ubisoft, Acti-Blizzard*, and EA want it. All three of them have pushed for Always Online platforms in the past, and thankfully, it hasn't taken hold as a long term model or standard outside of games that require it (MMOs).

(*D3's attach rate is abysmal, despite its impressive retail sales, though that was just the Diablo brand's value at work. Notice how Blizzard was quick to brag about 14 million sales, but has completely clammed up about usage statistics. And this coming from the same company that's been only too happy to brag about WoW's usage over the years.)