Steam, or the impulse buyer's greatest dream/worst nightmare.

Sep 14, 2009
Jayemsal said:
During summer and winter sales, Steam becomes Bane to my wallet's Batman.

Otherwise, they're lucky to get a Skyrim DLC purchase from me.
same here, haven't bought a damn thing that wasn't on super sale, and i look at most DLC now a days and am disgusted with the prices.

off topic, what is up with your avatar being "uptown girl"?

if i remember that right, billy joel right?

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
Jayemsal said:

same here, haven't bought a damn thing that wasn't on super sale, and i look at most DLC now a days and am disgusted with the prices.

Its a .gif I made of the shot of them singing into their tools, it seemed silly to me.

It doesnt function properly on this site for some reason.

Oh Billy Joel, you so silly.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Woiminkle said:
The only thing Steam has done to me is make me completely unable to pay full price for a game. I can't do it. Knowing that in less than 6 months an opportunity will arrive for me to get what I want for half price or less means I can no longer justify paying 50 - 60 euro on a new release. I'm frankly astonished at the amount of people that still buy games on day 1 when a sale in a matter of months will see the game significantly discounted.
I concur. At this point the only genre of games that are day 1 buys for me are fighting games because if one waits for the price to drop then one gives up too much of a competitive advantage to ones peers.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
Kururu999 said:
My best piece of advice for sale junkies new to steam is to make use of the wishlist. Make a list of things you actually want ahead of time, and then only get things that are on that list. Also that Deus Ex deal is hilariously good, don't feel bad about it at all.
This is extremely good advice, and now steam will actually email you if one of the games on your wishlist goes on sale.

Sep 14, 2009
Jayemsal said:
gmaverick019 said:
Jayemsal said:

Its a .gif I made of the shot of them singing into their tools, it seemed silly to me.

Hah yeah thought that's what it was. Sadly, the only reason I know that is from "uptown Marv" on YTMND (if you don't know the site, then my apologies for introducing you to a massive procrastination site)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The way I see it, the $3-$5 isn't too much money to throw at a developer, indie or Triple A, just as a reward for completing a game that is competently designed well enough to be on Steam. I also prefer to have the games on hand for $3-$5 than to have the $3-$5 on hand. As such, Steam hasn't been a curse, but the library I've collected as a result of that mentality is.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I got the THQ Humble Bundle, knowing for a fact that my laptop, with its subpar graphics card, can't run any of them. I'm counting on actually having a good PC at some point. till then, the other Humble Bundles are serving me well, as well as sales, like when I got Bastion for about $3.

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
Steam sales are a curse. I will openly admit to being a Steam Sale addict, I have over a hundred games in my library. How many of those have I actually played? Probably no more than 20.

Luckily (in some respects) my laptop is currently inaccessible and I am struggling financial which means I have stopped spending and will be playing rather than buying any more games.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Theres plenty on Steam that I want to buy, but can't bring myself to buy it. Little bits add up, and theres rent and bills to pay. The curse of growing up really.

I still prefer boxed copies to DD, the install times are a lot better. Case in point, I bought Far Cry 3 off steam and it took 13 painful god awful hours to download and install. My friend got the physical copy and installed it within 20 minutes. I'm not arsed about "ease of access" or "convienience" with not having to go out and all that, at least when I'm out I can pick up a copy of a game and then head for a couple of pints afterwards.

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
Jayemsal said:
gmaverick019 said:
Jayemsal said:

Hah yeah thought that's what it was. Sadly, the only reason I know that is from "uptown Marv" on YTMND (if you don't know the site, then my apologies for introducing you to a massive procrastination site)
I...I had a paper to write today!

You monster.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Best deal? Probably STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl for $2 (pretty sure it was $2, it was years ago). For how awesome it was and how much I played it, definitely worth it.

untamedwaters

Feb 19, 2013
OMIGAWD WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?! Deus Ex whole collection is under $12. That is AWESOME! I wanted to play it and that's cheaper than used copies of just HR in my area. I may have to jump on this and I really wanted to buy Deus Ex too after Yhatzee's review.

And not to mention The fall out collection being six bucks and Amnesia being five. I love steam...