STEAM SELLS BROKEN GAMES!

Slater McLeod

Jun 1, 2011
Never before has a publisher gotten away with such widespread distribution of essentially flawed/unplayable software. Steam needs to take responsibility for the product it deliver to gamers, how can we advance gaming if major publishers are knowingly distributing games that do not work on modern systems, and making the gamers do all the work to find MODs to fix them. Sometime a mod does not exist and the game sits 'on the shelf' a digital waste of money.

examples:
Max Payne ($10) - broken audio in key scenes
commandos: behind enemy lines ($5) - broken audio and save/load features.
full spectrum warrior(15$)- crackling audio (ruins game experience)
most Rockstar games have obvious major flaws (+$30)
Sega games are prone to crash, and many more..

These games are being sold in part of recent sales packages, and they have completely broken game features right out of the box. Is that fair to gamers? I know these are older titles, but it is absolutely steam's responsibility to fix games to be compatible with windows 7 and modern hardware BEFORE selling them.

I love the concept of steam, and that is what makes me so mad about this. Steam is supposed to be representing pc gaming, and their magic '1 click' service delivers you a broken game? Steam, this is a SERIOUS PROBLEM. FIX THIS NOW, or give us our refunds.

ScrubberDucky

Feb 17, 2011
I understand where you're coming from, and please don't take this as hostility, but.. those are the games' faults, right? Steam distributes, it has no part in porting, development or patching of said games.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Uh, dude most PC games have bugs. In fact pretty much every game is buggy, patching them is not the retailer's job, its the publisher's

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Are you sure these problems are occurring to everyone? you know, it could just be your computer.

Personally i've had no major problems with steam like that. Lucky me i guess.

Whyso

May 8, 2011
this is probably a serious issue and it would need to be fixed but these are smaller sort of games with little attention (except rockstar obviously) and you sometimes have to take murpheys law into account i guess. so its an issue but not a serious issue (and who actually buys from sega anyway?)

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
So you're blaming the distributor for selling games that have bugs the developers left accidentally?

You do realise that all games have bugs and it's not the distributor's duty to play test every game in search of any possible bug?

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
That's just he way pc gaming is dude, there is no standard hardware so all games have bugs and glitches, learn to deal with it or buy a console. If you want working games try good old Games.com they make sure all their games are modernised :)

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Steam doesn't have the responsibility and, in most cases, the right to tamper with the product that they sell. Valve is responsible for the games that Valve makes and/or publishes. Steam is just their storefront. If they are delivered crap, then they can't make gold bricks out of it. So calm your rampant sense of entitlement and go rile against the owners of those titles.

But hey, nobody's forcing to actually know what you're talking about, right?

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
In 90% of the cases these problems are on the users end.
Also raging about Valve isn't hold in high regard around here, In Valve We Trust. ( for good reasons )

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Most of the issues don't originate from Steam. Some do, but the kind of stuff you're reporting is usually present in the boxed version as well.
If you want to avoid potentially broken games, go visit the forum section for a game you're interested in and see what things people are reporting. If there's people with unresolved issues, especially for people with similar hardware, don't buy.
And, uh, the end of your post makes me think you want to try and complain and make a difference. If so, this is NOT the steam forum or support system.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
Well Steam can be at fault if they are distributing a version that is corrupted somehow. But theres no way to know if its their version that is broken or if its the game itself that got there that way. Or maybe its just the file you got, in which case you can just redownload.

Valeran

Apr 1, 2010
Slater McLeod said:
Steam needs to take responsibility for the product it deliver to gamers,
No, they do not. They distribute the games, they do not develop or publish the games. Many errors are typically on the user-end, but even those that aren't, also aren't the fault of Steam.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
I've never had any of those problems. But at the end of the line Steam is a distributor. You wouldn't complain to Game stop because you have compability issues, much less ask them to FIX the game instead of the developer. I think you got your priorities way wrong.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Reminds of this FOX NEWS coverage of "Portal 2 promoting hate against adopted (or something, i'm paraphrasing).

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Hmmmm....

Made account just to whine: Check
Complaining about something so obvious even grandparents could work out why the problems are occuring: Check
Complaining in a website that has nothing to do with the source of the complaint: Check

Yup. Think we got a troll here. Move along, nothing intelligent to read here.

Alternatively: GO TO THE STEAM FORUMS. I'm sure they'll greatly appreciate your input........

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

SENSATIONALIST TITLE IN ALLCAPS?
Check.
First post?
Check.
Fundamental lack of understanding concerning the systems involved?
Check.

Either a silly person or a troll. Nothing to see here.

EDIT: Wow. Someone ninja'd me in a frighteningly accurate manner. Get out of my head, you!