Steam Summer Sale 2016 After Action Report

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
There was also another game that I wanted that I can't seem to find again - it popped up in my que and I clicked away instead of putting it on my wishlist, and apparently it wasn't tagged very well since I just can't seem to track it down again. It was an RPG similar to Final Fantasy though, with hand-drawn graphics using the RPG Maker engine. Which... really doesn't narrow it down, come to think of it.
I might be able to help. I've played way too many RPG-Maker games on Steam, maybe I played the one you're looking for.

Do you remember anything else about it? Like, was there maybe some steampunk involved? Was the logo of the publisher/developer an unicorn? Did you notice a lot of original assets?

If I had to guess, it might have been Last Dream, a game in the style of the early Final Fantasies, but with a fairly open world and a boatload of optional puzzles.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
NPC009 said:
Wrex Brogan said:
There was also another game that I wanted that I can't seem to find again - it popped up in my que and I clicked away instead of putting it on my wishlist, and apparently it wasn't tagged very well since I just can't seem to track it down again. It was an RPG similar to Final Fantasy though, with hand-drawn graphics using the RPG Maker engine. Which... really doesn't narrow it down, come to think of it.
I might be able to help. I've played way too many RPG-Maker games on Steam, maybe I played the one you're looking for.

Do you remember anything else about it? Like, was there maybe some steampunk involved? Was the logo of the publisher/developer an unicorn? Did you notice a lot of original assets?

If I had to guess, it might have been Last Dream, a game in the style of the early Final Fantasies, but with a fairly open world and a boatload of optional puzzles.
While an interesting looking game, that wasn't it sadly. I'm kinda convinced it just doesn't have any tags on it - done full searches of the RPG, Adventure, Action and RPG Maker tags and haven't found it. I remember it was like... 10 bucks on special though, that might be the avenue I'll have to pursue to find it.

God dammit Game Developers, tag your beautiful-looking shit so I can find it easier, since Steam Ques don't let me go backwards for whatever stupid reason.

EDIT: I will say I remember it made a big deal about having 5 party members (only 3 active) and had 15-20 hours of content though. I couldn't describe art styles to save my life, but it was a lot more... fanciful than the usual RPG Maker fair. Kinda like a flatter version of Transistor or Child of Light.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
I remember it was like... 10 bucks on special though, that might be the avenue I'll have to pursue to find it.

EDIT: I will say I remember it made a big deal about having 5 party members (only 3 active) and had 15-20 hours of content though. I couldn't describe art styles to save my life, but it was a lot more... fanciful than the usual RPG Maker fair. Kinda like a flatter version of Transistor or Child of Light.
Sounds like it might be a game that was translated from Japanese. The doujinshi games that are brought over to the west often just more original assets than the typical RPG Maker game. They also tend to be a little more expensive (15-20 bucks). Either that, or it's one of those faux-retro, kickstarter funded RPG that just kind of look like they're made in RPG Maker.

It's not The Sacred Tears TRUE or Machina of the World Tree, I think. Right price point, wrong content.

Maybe... Celestial Tales: Old North? Doesn't match the number of party members (Celestial Tales is more about have a story told from six different perspectives), though.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects? No, probably not, the selling point of that game is that it was originally developed for an old Sega console...

Wait, was it perhaps The Amber Throne? That's definitely giving off a Child of Light vibe.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
Haven't bought anything, might pick something up last second, but there's nothing too interesting to me that I don't already have, be it on Steam or somewhere else.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Uft.
-Europa Universalis IV -?8.74(brace ourselves lasses and laddies, we're going into the danger zone)
-Max Payne 3 -?3.74
-Party Hard -?2.49
-Punch Club -?1.74
-GTA IV Complete (IV + Episodes)-?5.99 (which, on reflection, I am kind of regretting, since the port runs about as smoothly as Maoist China)
-Kindgom- ?3.49
-The Long Dark -?5.09 (really enjoying it since I like real-life survivalism a bit too much as an idea, although some of the mechanics are stupid as all hell, like how you do not warm up by running around or how animals aren't automatically startled by gunshots)

All in all, that brings the total to: ?31.28

It hurts ;_;

Although at the same time I did get about ?2-?3 discounts from all the leftover steam credit I got from trading cards, so that brings it to about ?28 overall.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
NPC009 said:
Wrex Brogan said:
I remember it was like... 10 bucks on special though, that might be the avenue I'll have to pursue to find it.

Sounds like it might be a game that was translated from Japanese. The doujinshi games that are brought over to the west often just more original assets than the typical RPG Maker game. They also tend to be a little more expensive (15-20 bucks). Either that, or it's one of those faux-retro, kickstarter funded RPG that just kind of look like they're made in RPG Maker.

It's not The Sacred Tears TRUE or Machina of the World Tree, I think. Right price point, wrong content.

Maybe... Celestial Tales: Old North? Doesn't match the number of party members (Celestial Tales is more about have a story told from six different perspectives), though.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects? No, probably not, the selling point of that game is that it was originally developed for an old Sega console...

Wait, was it perhaps The Amber Throne? That's definitely giving off a Child of Light vibe.
Yeah, Amber Throne was the one! For some reason it just wasn't showing up in any of the Tags (including the entire RPG library!) for me, no matter what I searched for. Thanks!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Mount and Blade bundle, Deus Ex bundle, Stanley Parable, Please Don't Touch Anything, CSGO, Chivalry Complete and Fable Anniversary.

Didn't buy anything under like, 70%. I tried to avoid games that I only kind of wanted, cause I don't exactly have a ton of spending money, but that's also why I had to actually buy something so I'm not hungry for games down the line.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Hoo boy, spent way more than I expected to, or meant to...

RWBY: Grimm Eclipse - ?7.49
South Park: The Stick of Truth - ?5.99
Salt and Sanctuary - ?12.23
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - ?5.59
Stories: Path of Destinies - ?7.69
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - ?2.74
Heathfire - ?1.59
Seraph - ?7.14
Quake - ?1.99
Enter the Gungeon - ?8.79
ARK: Survival Evolved - ?12.64

Steam Credit earned from cards: ?4.54

Total: ?69.34 (?73.68)
Total Value: ?133.99

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I did alright this year, I got a bunch of little games I'd been keeping on eye on but not got round to buying and then suddenly they all went on sale...

I got:

Environmental Station Alpha
Titan Souls
Torchlight II
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Stardew Valley
LISA (the Painful and the Joyful)

For a grand total of: GBP27.10 Not bad at all.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Dragon Ball Xenoverse (plus season pass)
Walking dead Michome
Banner Saga 2 (to later find out it was coming in XBOX gold, but hey at least I can import my save)
Dead by Daylight
Final Fantasy XII, XII-2 and Ligthning returns
Alien Isolation
A new beginning
Broken Sword 5
Resident Evil remaster

Quite happy with my purchases this time around, in previous years I always felt I got something that I would probably never play.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I buy less games every year it seems, in spite of wanting games more now. The sales always feel very meh and I think part of the problem is that I already own so damn many games(234 by now I believe).
Anyways, I picked up Tales of Symphonia, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate(fucking trainwreck that title), Final Fantasy VI and Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. Also bought Ryse: Son of Rome, but refunded it quickly. Thought it would be worth 5 euro, however I was mistaken.

Final Price should've been around 37 euro, I think.

Sep 24, 2008
DanielBrown said:
I buy less games every year it seems, in spite of wanting games more now. The sales always feel very meh and I think part of the problem is that I already own so damn many games(234 by now I believe).
I mirror this sentiment, and it's also because it's new pc time for me. Back when I bought my gaming laptop, a gtx 760 smoked things. Now, I'm chugging along with Street Fighter V. Batman Arkham Knight is made easier with the frame drops (although that could just be the game itself), and sometimes DOOM just crashes on me. I look at Witcher 3 and wonder what could be.

I'm waiting for a gaming laptop to drop a Nvidia 1080 or 1070 and that will be my last high end gaming laptop. I plan to get a killer gaming PC rig and every three years or so buy a medium end laptop.

... Why, yes, I am very clear you didn't ask for my life story. However, it does factor in that the sales don't seem that great when you know that you have to wait for months before you can actually play it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I spent about...$45 this year which is probably more than last year. There are a lot of classics that I needed to catch up on so I figure this was as good a time as any to do that. So, here's my damage report:

Broforce
Detective Grimoire (I don't remember what this is)
The Ultimate Doom
Doom 2: Hell on Earth (it took me about 2 days to figure out how to run Brutal Doom but I got it. I need some new BD-mods now though. Also Master Levels for Doom 2)
Dungeons of Dreadmore (I don't remember what this is)
Goetia
Ironcast (my most wanted)
Knights of Pen & Paper +1
Mini Metro (Probably my most played game since purchase)
Rogue Legacy (I've been missing out)
The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2 (these must be the remakes...very pretty but I haven't quite wrapped my head around them yet)
Tales of Maj'Eyal

Then there were some Sega Classics I picked up...specifically I think I got bundle number 2 and 5. Only one had an Alex Kidd (Enchanted Castle) and one of them had 3 Phantasy Star games. One of them had Kid Chameleon and Streets of Rage 3...just a bunch of Sega games that I haven't played before and wanted to catch up on for really damn cheap. I think I did well this year! I would have grabbed Axion Verge if it dipped below $10 and I kinda regret not getting Dropsy or Hotline Miami 2 but at the moment I've got enough to occupy me.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Rabish Bini said:
Picked up a few things:

-Age of Empires II: HD Edition
-Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
-E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
-LISA the Joyful (DLC for LISA the Painful)
-Pathologic Classic HD
-Psychonauts
-Suits: A Business RPG

Might pick up one or two more things, not sure yet.
Oh, EYE Divine Cybermancy. I liked that game and also disliked it at the same time. And I cant tell you why

OT: Dragon's Dogma
To the Moon
Keep talking or Boom
Shadowrun HK

@ $40US

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Didn't buy too many this year

Angry Video Game Nerd:ASSimilation
Evoland
Frankenstein:Master of Death
Halo:Spartan Bundle
Kung Fury:Street Rage
Plague Inc
Star Wars:Rogue Squadron 3D
Torchlight
Torchlight 2

?39.71 in total

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:
Dungeons of Dreadmore (I don't remember what this is)
It's a roguelike dungeon delver. It's pretty fun - emphasizes on humour. The skills you can get are hilarious - the effects of some schools are somewhat random in what they give you. And I don't mean "each skill can have varying effects that are determined by chance", no, each skill line has well defined skills. It's only the unifying theme is best described as "dream logic". For example, you can cast Maths as magic which has teleportation, buffs, damage and curses in store. Magical Law, on the other hand, is...well, pretty much neither magic, nor law, in actual terms of what it does, however, all of the descriptions kind of use the theme - for example, one of the abilities allows you to (basically) use telekinesis. Why? "Long arm of the law", that's why. You can also cast Rune of Objection to reflect a debuff onto an enemy. And so on, and so forth.

I found it quite fun. The gameplay is quite decent, too - nothing "amazing", that hasn't been done before, but well presented and put together. It's top down and 1 move = 1 turn - a lot of skills have cooldowns, too, and some require mana which you regenerate (somewhat slowly) per turn as well. Other than that, go around, kill stuff, get loot and try not to die. Oh, and in the beginning, you can choose any skills you want (up to...8? 10? somewhere there), so you don't really have classes, as such - you can happily pick and mix wizard skills like Blood Magic and Necronomiconomics with warrior skills such as Berserker Rage and Killer Vegan, in addition to rogue skills of the likes of Assassination and Paranormal Investigator. Or you can stick to one category - it doesn't really matter. The nature of the oddball skills means that a some can compliment each other regardless of which "class" they come from.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I bought around 56 games for 7 bucks.

Or 54 games for 5~ bucks if you only include games from bundles. The non-bundled games I got where Brutal Legend and Painkiller. Can't be arsed to list all other 54.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
trunkage said:
Rabish Bini said:
Picked up a few things:

-Age of Empires II: HD Edition
-Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
-E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
-LISA the Joyful (DLC for LISA the Painful)
-Pathologic Classic HD
-Psychonauts
-Suits: A Business RPG

Might pick up one or two more things, not sure yet.
Oh, EYE Divine Cybermancy. I liked that game and also disliked it at the same time. And I cant tell you why
Yeah that's the general consensus of the game, brilliant in some departments and horrid in others.

I'm a sucker for flawed masterpieces though and couldn't say no :)