Steampunk 360 Controller is a Real Key-Turner

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I have to admit that the more steampunk-ified things I see, the less impressive they seem. I read this, looked at the controller, and thought "is this really necessary?"

I have nothing against steampunk, but it seems to be the default go-to for modders.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
In all honesty, I think a light brass finish instead of wood, different font on the ABXY buttons and no text on the sticks would make it look much better. Also, I feel like the ABXY buttons stick up too much. I actually don't find it that aesthetically appealing, save for the grips at the bottom and the key, which do look very nice. The idea of a Steampunk controller is cool, so props to the creator for doing that.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I don't get the attraction to steam punk. That controller is fucking ugly, you'd have to pay me to use it.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
I don't even OWN an X-box and I want one. Not that I'd spend a thousand dollars on it, but still. WANT.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
For $1000, I'd like real wood and brass. The wood would smooth out and mellow with age and proper oiling, and would look absolutely beautiful. Not that this isn't also lovely, mind. But you'd need the Xbox to go with it - using this with a plain old Slim? That's just aesthetically wrong.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
That is very fucking cool. But a thousand bucks? For fake wood and brass? No, that's not happening.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Susan Arendt said:
For $1000, I'd like real wood and brass. The wood would smooth out and mellow with age and proper oiling, and would look absolutely beautiful. Not that this isn't also lovely, mind. But you'd need the Xbox to go with it - using this with a plain old Slim? That's just aesthetically wrong.
I agree, not only that but I can't see the bit you plug a headset into on the bottom, it looks like it's been covered. So it looks like you wouldn't be able to sit and talk to your mates in party chat, bragging about how cool it looks while using it. That kinda sucks.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Wonder why the last picture shows a different keyhole thing than the other pictures.

But anyway, I'd love a real wood version, but for paint that'll simply peel off, I'd see the value drop with every minor scrape - scrapes that would actually just improve the look of a real wood controller.

Yeah, it's not enough to paint something and glue on some bits and call it $1000 worth... there is a market out there for custom controllers, but I fear that the market is made up of people who'd really rather make their own.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
It looks pretty I'll give it that, but $1k pretty? Nah.
Not to mention, as has been said before, it's not even real wood and brass, so why such a high asking price? I don't doubt that someone with to much disposable income will buy it... As much as I wish it were otherwise. From my experience on the internet, you could slap a $1k price tag on a turd, and manage to sell it by claiming it is 'unique' and 'one of a kind'.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Cheshire the Cat said:
Fake wood? Pah. Real wood and brass or nothing. I leave the wood grained plastics to peasants.

But seriously, real wood and brass of that would be fucking awesome but still not worth 1k.
You got to factor in the cost of materials plus the man hours involve making the mod.

Customs are not cheap. My last controller mod bumped a $175 Mad Catz Xbox 360 Chun Li TE-S to a $500 custom arcade stick.

Vrach said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's a beautiful piece, but a thousand bucks for a game controller? Good luck with that.
Not much needed when you're selling a unique item really, it's not like they're mass producing this stuff. It'll get sold sooner or later and I'm guessing sooner - money is not a barrier for everyone (not saying it isn't for myself, just that there are people out there with that kind of disposable income and a passion for gaming/steampunk)

OT: Looks pretty cool, the key is the absolute best part :)
Agreed

Sewer Rat said:
Not to mention, as has been said before, it's not even real wood and brass, so why such a high asking price? I don't doubt that someone with to much disposable income will buy it... As much as I wish it were otherwise. From my experience on the internet, you could slap a $1k price tag on a turd, and manage to sell it by claiming it is 'unique' and 'one of a kind'.
Calling it awful is an opinion not fact. There are many people in this thread who would get this controller right now if money was not an issue.

surg3n said:
Wonder why the last picture shows a different keyhole thing than the other pictures.

But anyway, I'd love a real wood version, but for paint that'll simply peel off, I'd see the value drop with every minor scrape - scrapes that would actually just improve the look of a real wood controller.

Yeah, it's not enough to paint something and glue on some bits and call it $1000 worth... there is a market out there for custom controllers, but I fear that the market is made up of people who'd really rather make their own.
You would think so. Sadly the market is filled with people who knows next to nothing about mods. It is reason why the maker of this Pad thinks he can sell it for a grand.
Get_A_Grip_ said:
That looks hideous...
And really uncomfortable and awkward to use. D=
No more or less than your normal POS Microsoft brand Xbox 360 controller.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
I'm not sure I'd drop a grand (if I had it!) on a Fable 3 controller. Maybe something in the range of about £40 or so.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
darksakul said:
Sewer Rat said:
Calling it awful is an opinion not fact. There are many people in this thread who would get this controller right now if money was not an issue.
I never said it was awful, I just said the asking price was far to high. Hell, I want it, I just think it is an unreasonable price for what it is.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
I was really excited until I saw the price.
Damn you, lack of disposable income! *shakes fist*