Steam's First Indie JRPG Is a Hit

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
$20 was well on the steep side, I'm sure they could've impulsed alot more people if they'd lowered the bar a little, but then I don't think people realise quite how much game is crammed into this deceptively small package. It's been fun for me :) Good Luck Carpe Fulgur!

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
If I wasn't so queued up with dungeon crawlers as it is (seriously, I find this more a dungeon crawler than straight up JRPG) I'd be totally be going through this game right now. But this story does make me happy as it's kind of showing that there can be a degree of success in translating lesser known titles from overseas and bringing them to a new audience.

Still, much fun times from the demo will be making this a purchase for me, just don't know when I can get around to playing it through.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
RougeWaveform said:
TsunamiWombat said:
If you have a high tolerance for "japanese" stuff and anime, you can enjoy this game. It has more standard anime cliche tropes then you can shake a baseball bat at, and it's humor is only occasionally amusing, but the gameplay it's set over is solid 'Sim' mechanics, and the dungeon gameplay is an interesting diversion. The game at least, doesn't take itself too seriously, with dozens of self referencing gags.

Mind, I only played the Demo, so I don't know how repetetive the game might get. Also, it is HARD to make that first gold deadline..I dunno if it gets easier, but I had to sell like a MOFO to get it done and was left with absolutly nothing. Then the Demo ended.
During the full game, if you fail a deadline then it goes into this "It was all a dream!" bit and the story starts over but keep all your items and level. It's an interesting mechanic later on and thank god there's a skip button.
Oh, so your SUPPOSED to fail?
Well I got to where Tear wanted 500,000 and she said that was the last one, though there seems to be a lot more to the game. So the devs certainly expect the players to fail a couple times I assume. Making that much isn't really difficult later on, you just have to keep track of your days.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cool.

Not my kind of game, but it's always nice to hear of an indie doing well.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
AxCx said:
BobisOnlyBob said:
That's fair enough, I suppose, although the demo can be downloaded here [http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/downloads.htm]) for free, too. It's also purchasable from Impulse or GamersGate... Impulse uses a Steam-like download manager. I don't think GamersGate does.

I'm curious to know why you're opposed to Steam, though. A lot of the initial problems it had are gone, it's not a resource hog (and can be easily disabled), and insofar as "DRM" goes it's the single most liberal download manager I've ever used... it's still a form of DRM though, so you're welcome to object to it in that regard, as well as anything I've missed.
I dunno, just dont like having all my games tied to another program. I want to play this game, I dont need or want another service to do so. I really dislike games making me jump through a bunch of hoops just to start it.

Thanks for the links though, I might check it out if I get round to it. And if I do, ill be sure to comment again with my impressions of the game.
No DRM demo fully available - the full game's without DRM on GamersGate too.

I played it for about forty hours until it became a bit much. So that's about half a dollar per hour - money well spent.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
GamesB2 said:
I don't like Steam
THIS IS MADNESS!

OT: Doesn't really sound like my thing but I'm glad they could break through. Digital distribution (Steam's version of it at any rate) is a god-send.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I actually played the demo for this game. I wasn't too sure what to make of it in all honesty. I can say that for me at least, it felt tiresome and boring. The only fun part was going into dungeons and acquiring items, then selling them. Though the actual buy and sell process wasn't nearly as fun as I had hoped. I turned it down, because while the RPG elements were alright, the core game play of buying and selling items just felt repetitive. The story seems to be an interesting aspect to say the least, but I'm afraid, not enough to encourage me to buy the game itself.

Switchblade1080

Apr 5, 2011
I'm surprised that this thread doesn't have someone yelling Yayifications!!

Ahem....its sad that Extracredits never read this article, it would've attracted more customers.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
I wanna get this, I really do!...But I hate Steam. Firstly, it doesn't work with Linux. Secondly, "Offline Mode" never works for me. (My internet connection is crap.) Thirdly, I really hate how you HAVE TO INSTALL it for some games. I bought L4D a long time back for about 25$, but I couldn't play it for over a year. Why? Because I needed an internet connection to install it. WELL I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION AT HOME. BLEEH.