Stellar Blade (formally Project Eve) - Korean Sci-Fi Bayonetta/Nier: Automata/Sekiro Edition

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And that's just off the top off my head.
How dare you say Frank West is ugly. That's a handsome man! HE COVERED WARS!!!!

If you're refering to the usual characters deemed "ugly as all hell" by those crying 'ugly on purpose', then you ARE demanding all female characters look like Eve/cater to your specific beauty standards. Here's something that might be shocking though; there's people who don't find Eve's design beautiful or appealing. There's even the notion that a woman in a game doesn't necessarily need to be sexually attractive, you know, like how male characters don't necessarily need to be sexually attractive.
I disagree here, Eve exists as sort of a hyper beautiful embodiment. However most female characters are not like that. The reboot Lara Croft is not an exaggeration of female appearance for example. Samus Aran is another basic level example and exceptional because she's pretty much covered in endogenous battle armor the whole time (except that shitty game nobody wants to talk about). Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Princess Peach, characters that are "pretty" but not hyperized the way people pushing for Uggoes would suggest. Not to mention that the people who made these complaints and set all this garbage in motion in the first place do not play these games nor have they ever played games of any kind, it's just grifters pulling social agenda scams on publishers and businesses and who the fuck knows how they pulled it off.

Eve and Bayonetta are exaggerations, but they are by no means the goal. There is a difference between a generally attractive character, and a character that just looks like shit. Also monster characters are just outright except from this because the monster thing itself serves a different fantastical purpose.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I disagree here, Eve exists as sort of a hyper beautiful embodiment. However most female characters are not like that. The reboot Lara Croft is not an exaggeration of female appearance for example. Samus Aran is another basic level example and exceptional because she's pretty much covered in endogenous battle armor the whole time (except that shitty game nobody wants to talk about). Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Princess Peach, characters that are "pretty" but not hyperized the way people pushing for Uggoes would suggest. Not to mention that the people who made these complaints and set all this garbage in motion in the first place do not play these games nor have they ever played games of any kind, it's just grifters pulling social agenda scams on publishers and businesses and who the fuck knows how they pulled it off.
Like I said, specific beauty standards. Not all women in games need to abide by them. And even when they do, like in the case of Aloy, Mary-Jane, the new Lara Croft design, and the main character in Star Wars: Outlaws, they're still labeled uggoes.

And the whole 'you don't actually play games' argument can just fall off a cliff. The people crying 'ugly on purpose' all play games, I'm sure. That doesn't make people who never play games and call them out for being full of shit any less wrong.

Eve and Bayonetta are exaggerations, but they are by no means the goal. There is a difference between a generally attractive character, and a character that just looks like shit.
Which characters would those be? The ones that look like shit?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which characters would those be? The ones that look like shit?
You already listed it. Mary-Jane in Spider-Man 2 is a perfect example. She is much....plainer? Than how she even looked in the first game. Which btw was not exclusive to her, because Peter looks uglier to his face widened out a bit as less symetrical. It's just far more noticable on MJ because her model is drastically different than in the first game. MJ in the first game was not a hyper attractive woman either, she was pretty normal.

For a more clearer example you can look at what just happened with Pokemon Go. People made their own avatars in that game to be whatever they wanted, and it was removed for what reason?

That being said, I'm gonna play Stellar Blade and suffer through it's shitty story and mid-combat just to stick it to people mad about the game. I wonder if something like this has happened fairly recently.....

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
As for the rest, everybody has their points, but Dreiko or those shate his mind said, but can we please just focus on the actual game. This conversation has been done enough times already.

Yes.

Here's the two things I'm wondering about the game as the reviews are coming out, in response to the two major points:

1- The story is poop
2- The combat is great

Well on the first one, sure- one thing I adamantly believe is that the vast majority of video game stories are kinda shit. Ok whatever. But kind of related in my mind at least is- how much attention would this game have got last year when there were so many beloved hits? And I mean attention good or bad outside of gamergate2, just regular as a game.
I see this game as this year's Lies of P in a way- easily comparable in style to other popular games, with its own derivation of a now-familiar formula of that third-person action combat parry thing. Lies of P managed to stand out in a stacked year due to its execution and style that offered both nostalgia (Bloodborne!) and novelty (Pinocchio!). Is Stellar Balde getting a lot of attention because there's no Baldur's Tears of the Armored Starfield? There's not even the B-tier level of action games like Immortals of Aveum or Atomic Heart.

Now here it would be fair to correct me because I don't keep a memory of everything. But so far this year the Big Games Everyone Is Talking About that come to mind are Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth and Balatro, neither of which fit in Stellar Blade's lane.

Ok the combat- a lot of the reactions to the demo and the early reviews were a big fat MEH (including from yours truly). But now reviews are pretty glowing about that which suggests that the game gets better with new abilities, or that one acclimates to its implementation. This makes it more likely for me to check it out later on sale.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You already listed it. Mary-Jane in Spider-Man 2 is a perfect example. She is much....plainer? Than how she even looked in the first game. Which btw was not exclusive to her, because Peter looks uglier to his face widened out a bit as less symetrical. It's just far more noticable on MJ because her model is drastically different than in the first game. MJ in the first game was not a hyper attractive woman either, she was pretty normal.
And how is 'plain' ugly? And like you said, it's not exclussive to her, yet she certainly got picked out as the ugly one compared to Peter and Harry, huh? And what about Black Cat and Rio, who look perfectly fine? You'd think what with that agenda Insomniac was pushing they wouldn't forget to make them into a couple of hags. Yet they didn't. Almost like reactionaries are either jumping at shadows or farming outrage.

That being said, I'm gonna play Stellar Blade and suffer through it's shitty story and mid-combat just to stick it to people mad about the game.
I think I'll just play games I actually like, but if you want to suffer through a game because some people hate it, be my guest. I'm staying the fuck away from Starfield and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League no matter how pissed off idiots are at PROUNOUNS or Sweet Baby Inc.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Now here it would be fair to correct me because I don't keep a memory of everything. But so far this year the Big Games Everyone Is Talking About that come to mind are Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth and Balatro, neither of which fit in Stellar Blade's lane.
This year really looks like it's going to be really dry for hype releases to be honest. A couple of okay-ish games that we know of right now like Paper Mario, but unless something gets announced outta nowhere 2024 is gonna be pretty flat for gaming. Which usually happens right after you get a year of monster releases like 2023 was.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That being said, I'm gonna play Stellar Blade and suffer through it's shitty story and mid-combat just to stick it to people mad about the game. I wonder if something like this has happened fairly recently.....
So like, 6 people on twitter? Gotta say, as I follow a lot of the people "mad at Stellar Blade", the chief fanservice complaint is that she's basic. Dull. With a fair number of stupid outfits

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This year really looks like it's going to be really dry for hype releases to be honest.
Not really. AAA, yes. Everybody in the middle or Indie? No. I got a nice lineup. By the way, Alone In The Dark Reboot 3 came out a few weeks ago. Most people like it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
By the way, Alone In The Dark Reboot 3 came out a few weeks ago. Most people like it.
I've heard nothing but bad things about that reboot. I even think IGN gave it like a 4/10, not that they are the authority on anything but still.

With a fair number of stupid outfits
There is a playboy bunny and school girl outfit. So that's like all I need tbh.

But the BEST outfit by a huge mile is the Teddy bear.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I've heard nothing but bad things about that reboot. I even think IGN gave it like a 4/10, not that they are the authority on anything but still.

There is a playboy bunny and school girl outfit. So that's like all I need tbh.

But the BEST outfit by a huge mile is the Teddy bear.

I wanna be…yourrr teddy bear
Combo chain around my neck
And bleed me everywhere
Oh let me be (oh let him be!)
Yourrr teddy bear

Reactions: CriticalGaming

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some people like it and some people don't, but the reception has been mostly good from what I heard. They gave it a four and I don't trust them. They never have a good or consistent ratings so they don't count for anything.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And I find it hard to believe that anyone fantasizes about being a ugly boring normal ass person.
Playing Saints Row 3 in coop with my friend.

My friend's character: What if Jessica Rabbit got breast implants? Boob slider all the way to the right.

My character: Dude with a fucked up face and broken nose and big dumb mutton chops who talks in a British accent.

It's totally fun to play as an ugly character sometimes, and it tends to be more thematically appropriate. If I'm playing a crime game as a gang boss I'd rather my character look more like Wilson Fisk than Stripperella.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It is normal, but these female characters are usually NPC's because the core component of video game entertainment is fantasy. And I find it hard to believe that anyone fantasizes about being a ugly boring normal ass person.
Are you telling me they fantasize about being large-breasted women in skintight clothing?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Are you telling me they fantasize about being large-breasted women in skintight clothing?
Daily! I've even said this before, but in every game that gives me the option I'm picking the female options. Skyrim, Saints Row, MMO's, whatever, if given the choice I'm the chick everytime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Daily! I've even said this before, but in every game that gives me the option I'm picking the female options. Skyrim, Saints Row, MMO's, whatever, if given the choice I'm the chick everytime.
That's you and other people (nothing inherently wrong with it of course; your choice), but not every single person on the face of the Earth. Once again, you don't speak for everyone.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's you and other people (nothing inherently wrong with it of course; your choice), but not every single person on the face of the Earth. Once again, you don't speak for everyone.
Correct, but neither do the people demanding the appearance changes. So If I dont have the right to say these ugly ass characters are stupid and I hate it. Then they don't have the right to say that they hate the supermodel characters. There are two sides of this, and if one doesn't have a right to complain than neither does the other.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Correct, but neither do the people demanding the appearance changes. So If I dont have the right to say these ugly ass characters are stupid and I hate it. Then they don't have the right to say that they hate the supermodel characters. There are two sides of this, and if one doesn't have a right to complain than neither does the other.
I don't hate the ugly characters, or the supermodel characters. I hate when they're advertised as a feature. If the main bullet point on your game is "look at the hot lady" my brain is immediately putting it in the X-Blades folder.

1714069718587.jpeg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You should have started with that in the first place instead of talking like you're speaking for everybody else and assumed so. Still doesn't change the fact that you got more people on the crazy Ultra right side complaining about "ugly or intentionally ugly" female characters compared to the people complaining about a super bottle. Most people are in different at worse when it comes to supermodel characters. The two sides of this thing is bologna though and barely ever comes to that. Conversations over cuz I've already made my case in point a thousand times over.

I don't hate the ugly characters, or the supermodel characters. I hate when they're advertised as a feature. If the main bullet point on your game is "look at the hot lady" my brain is immediately putting it in the X-Blades folder.

View attachment 11061
That game makes the early Oneechanbara games look good or decent by comparison.

Fair. Being sexy does not mean you don't also have to be a good game.
And that's because 90% of them are crap. And there are people that still have not learned from this.