Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on Late Show - Update

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on Late Show - Update

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Really? Surprised CBS would choose Colbert, in light of the recent calls to cancel the Colbert Report.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Vedrenne said:
Really? Surprised CBS would choose Colbert, in light of the recent calls to cancel the Colbert Report.
The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are right-wing nutjobs that are ticked off he's making fun of Republicans, CNN News, and Fox News. It's not all too hard, honestly, and even the Daily Show's John Stewart does it too.

I'm glad Colbert is getting a more main-channel show....however, it will mean he's going to be hounded by censors more and more.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Seems like a downgrade to me. His current show is amazing, and I don't see how stepping into Letterman's show is going to be anything but 'meh'. When was the last time anyone heard anything interesting coming from Letterman, compared to Colbert? Must be one heck of a raise.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one. Can't wait for the inevitable #colbertisthedevilblahblahblah response that is likely to ensue.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Vedrenne said:
This implies that the Cancel Colbert shit had any credibility whatsoever.

Either way I'd be interested to see what Colbert makes of it. I don't see him going Colbert Report 2.0 on it, so it'll be interesting to see him host out-of-character.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Vedrenne said:
Eh, I feel like the cancel Colbert BS is a little overblown - people make a big deal of it in the media, but in reality no really give a damn.

That said, I can't help but feel like this is a step backwards for Colbert - I mean, yeah its pretty prestigious to take over for Letterman, sure - but I really can't help but feel like shows like that are getting less and less relevant - while shows like the Colbert Report are becoming more so ...

Dunno - just seems odd to me.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Coreless said:
Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one.
Considering this could effectively end The Colbert Report, the people who were running with #CancelColbert would probably see it as a win.

I dunno, I find myself skeptical. I had to check the date on the article to make sure it wasn't from April 1.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I think I'd rather keep watching The Colbert Report. I seriously doubt he'll keep the persona for the new show. With the different format, he'll be doing a much more standard "monologue". Maybe he'll reinvent the format, but I doubt it. Good for him though.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Oh well, I guess this means Colbert isn't running for president, then.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Does this mean that we'll finally get all of those T's at the end of repor(t) that he said he was saving from the first episode?

vid87

May 17, 2010
I can't tell if this is real or not - it effectively insta-kills a popular (despite recent crap) long-running show and sends a valuable star to another network. On the other hand, as much as I love him, CR was essentially a different-flavored Daily Show, to the point where I've seen them run the same stories and opinions on both; it seems a bit redundant. Also, as much I'd like it to be true and believe he would knock it out of the park, is late-night really much of a thing anymore? I know the two Jimmys are supposedly doing well, but isn't it more about web-friendly skits than the monologing and publicity guest speakers?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I had a real good feeling about Colbert taking over. I wonder if he'll keep up his wacky persona, or tone it down a bit.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Shjade said:
Coreless said:
Lol this is priceless, those humorless morons that supported cancel colbert are going to s**t a brick with this one.
Considering this could effectively end The Colbert Report, the people who were running with #CancelColbert would probably see it as a win.

I dunno, I find myself skeptical. I had to check the date on the article to make sure it wasn't from April 1.
Colbert is the Colbert Report, without his unique brand of humor and delivery it would have have never achieved the same appeal. He will no doubt bring that same kind of humor to the Late Show and probably take it a step further since now they are directly in the spotlight.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Colbert was just about the only show that stayed funny during the writers strike if you remember that far back. I think he may be able to do something with network late night, but his audience immediately gets 10 years older and more set in there ways and beliefs. I don't think his ratings will be great.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
Vedrenne said:
The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are right-wing nutjobs that are ticked off he's making fun of Republicans, CNN News, and Fox News. It's not all too hard, honestly, and even the Daily Show's John Stewart does it too.

I'm glad Colbert is getting a more main-channel show....however, it will mean he's going to be hounded by censors more and more.
Huh? Are we watching the same outrage because I'm pretty sure I just watched the internet SWJ "can't take a joke" movement try to get him cancelled. Look up #CancelColbert.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
What a waste. The colbert report is great. I couldn't care less about the late show or the tonight show.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
Actually the people calling out to cancel his show are SJW LEFT-wing nutjobs that don't understand the concept of SATIRE and are too humorless to see that Colbert is actually on THEIR side (which made this whole meltdown even more amusing to me). Wing nuts come from both directions.