Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on Late Show - Update

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Coreless said:
Colbert is the Colbert Report, without his unique brand of humor and delivery it would have have never achieved the same appeal. He will no doubt bring that same kind of humor to the Late Show and probably take it a step further since now they are directly in the spotlight.
No no, Colbert plays Colbert on the Colbert Report; he isn't actually that person. I don't think that stage persona would translate to The Late Show's venue very smoothly.

Brendan Davis

Jun 6, 2011
Nowhere Man said:
Deathfish15 said:
The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are right-wing nutjobs that are ticked off he's making fun of Republicans, CNN News, and Fox News. It's not all too hard, honestly, and even the Daily Show's John Stewart does it too.
Actually the people calling out to cancel his show are SJW LEFT-wing nutjobs that don't understand the concept of SATIRE and are too humorless to see that Colbert is actually on THEIR side (which made this whole meltdown even more amusing to me). Wing nuts come from both directions.
It was picked up by both conservatives and liberals. Started by a liberal, and pushed by conservatives like Michelle Malkin.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
I have a feeling I'm going to miss him more on the Colbert Report than I'm going to enjoy seeing him on The Late Show

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
This isn't quite as bad an idea as Conan O'Brian taking over from Jay Leno was. But it's still a bad idea.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
deathmothon said:
Colbert was just about the only show that stayed funny during the writers strike if you remember that far back.
Plus he's always incredibly quick on his feet during the interviews.

Colbert might be getting sick of playing the villain; he's said in the past that he doesn't want his kids to watch his show because they'll get a false idea of who their dad is. Maybe he just wants to be sincere for once in his career? :)

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
Vedrenne said:
Really? Surprised CBS would choose Colbert, in light of the recent calls to cancel the Colbert Report.
The only people who are calling to cancel Colbert Report are left-wing nutjobs who use colbert report to boost their publicity to make more money so they can support their racist views.

I'm glad Colbert is getting a more main-channel show....however, it will mean he's going to be hounded by censors more and more.
fixed it
O.T. I might watch at least one episode just to see what colbert brings to the table

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Brendan Davis said:
It was picked up by both conservatives and liberals. Started by a liberal, and pushed by conservatives like Michelle Malkin.
Ah. well, that further proves my point.

I used to enjoy Letterman back in the day but he's been phoning it in for years now and even he's aware of it. As much as I'd love to see Colbert take over I can't picture him not doing his Colbert Report persona. His reaction to #cancelcolbert was epic and I look forward to seeing how he responds to this CBS thing.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
vid87 said:
I can't tell if this is real or not - it effectively insta-kills a popular (despite recent crap) long-running show and sends a valuable star to another network. On the other hand, as much as I love him, CR was essentially a different-flavored Daily Show, to the point where I've seen them run the same stories and opinions on both; it seems a bit redundant. Also, as much I'd like it to be true and believe he would knock it out of the park, is late-night really much of a thing anymore? I know the two Jimmys are supposedly doing well, but isn't it more about web-friendly skits than the monologing and publicity guest speakers?
Zacharious-khan said:
No no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO!!!! If we lose the Colbert Report over this I will be sad as fuck
Oh I have a feeling the 11:30 slot on Comedy Central isn't going to get away from Stewart anytime soon. Look out for the Mandvi Update, or better yet they bring John Oliver back from HBO and give him his own show there. And besides who says that an hour long Daily Show would be a bad thing?
I'm sad to see the Colbert Report end. In my opinion it was always the more biting of the two shows. Colbert was merciless with guests without being a bully, but he was always looking for that zinger not just to argue his point effectively like Stewart does with his guests.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Ferguson wasn't interested in moving up, then, or did CBS just give him the shaft?
He has repeatedly stated over the years that he is not interested in the job, but who knows what really went on behind the scenes. Definitely nothing as sneaky and underhanded as Jay Leno's twin sagas with Letterman in the 90's and Conan a few years ago.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
It will be interesting to see Colbert try something new, I'm sure he can nail it. I suppose there's no chance he can do both shows? :)

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
As much as I like the Colbert Report and have been a loyal watcher since the first season, I have to say it is maybe getting a little long in the tooth. Personally I think it's best if the show ends BEFORE it starts to become really old and tired, and I imagine Colbert himself is probably getting a little tired of the character as well. I think his tongue-in-cheekiness will translate well to The Late Show, and he won't even have to move time slots!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
McGuinty1 said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Ferguson wasn't interested in moving up, then, or did CBS just give him the shaft?
He has repeatedly stated over the years that he is not interested in the job, but who knows what really went on behind the scenes. Definitely nothing as sneaky and underhanded as Jay Leno's twin sagas with Letterman in the 90's and Conan a few years ago.
Knowing Ferguson, he probably really wasn't interested. His current time slot allows him far more creative freedom from censorship than the earlier slot Colbert is taking would, and attracts a somewhat younger audience that better suits his bizarre personality. He's never struck me as the sort of guy who would compromise his vision or sense of humor in exchange for a traditionally more desirable schedule.

P.S. Thanks

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well, it stinks that we will lose the Colbert Report now. On the other hand, the Late Show could be funny again. All well, I'll always have Jon Stewart.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
That's too bad because I really liked the Colbert Report. I liked his persona because, as opposed to Jon Stewart, it allowed him to seamlessly mock ridiculousness on both the right and the left and it made him come across, almost ironically, much more moderate than many of his comic peers.

The late show will certainly benefit from his brand of over the top humor but I will definitely miss the Colbert Report. I know he won't be in "character" any more, but I hope his style doesn't change too much. Hopefully he can make the late show something I would enjoy watching and the loss of the Colbert Report won't be as hard felt.

Merteg

May 9, 2009
I echo the opinion of several other people on here. I love the Colbert Report and watch it every single day and it really is one of the funniest and most informative shows out there. I do not think his character or the show is getting old in the slightest. I have been watching since day 1 and it has been nothing but entertaining.

This just feels like a demotion. The Colbert Report and Colbert himself are very, very popular with my demographic of young adults while I feel these "Late Shows" really are not. To go from spreading some serious insight into our political system and talking with authors and journalists who wrote very thought provoking books to transition to talking to a bunch of vapid celebrities? I understand that this job may have more "prestige" and Colbert was "honored to be on Letterman," but if you ask anyone my age they do not care one bit about Letterman while Colbert has a lot more influence to them.

All that being said, I wish him the best and will delay judgement. I will tune in to his new show and hopefully he will succeed. It just seems like such a shame.