Steve Jobs' Last Words: Oh wow, Oh wow, Oh wow

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
TheAceTheOne said:
Aprilgold said:
TheAceTheOne said:
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:
I hope it was uttered in pain and agony, the selfish prick.
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? Did he ever personally hurt you? Did he ever cause someone's death or something?

Holy fuck, show some respect for the dead.
My thoughts exactly. Ain't good to be talking shit about the dead... Just in general.

Respect 'em, even if you think they're jerks.

I'd like to think his life flashed before his eyes and he saw all the cool shit he's achieved and was impressed by the potential one man can have and the things one can achieve.

Or something like that.
So its not OK to hate on Hitler then? You know, all that genocide shit, yeah, lets just drop that and respect him for his mustache.

dude. the holocaust was a lie, didnt you get the memo? never happened. also, triceratops isnt a dinosaur and pluto isnt a planet. ;)

The dead should be remembered for what they were, not for what we would like to think they were.
There are exceptions to the "respect the dead" thing I said. Hitler's one of those exceptions.

Hitler's one of those guys it's okay to hate. And comparing Hitler and Steve Jobs? Holy shit, that's... I can't even express my thoughts coherently about that comparison! I'm fairly certain Jobs didn't try to exterminate an entire culture of people, didn't set up concentration camps (Strict working conditions don't mean concentration camps), and didn't wage a war against many countries. Go ahead, fact check me on that. I'll give you a second.

Back? Hi again. What'd you find? Am I right?

But we aren't talking about Hitler, anyway. We're talking about Jobs. And yes, Jobs may have been a jerk, but he did further technology and was a pretty successful guy.

I'll agree with your point as to whether the dead should be remembered for what they were, and I'll concede that Jobs may have been an ass at times. But he also tried to make the world a little bit better through technology, and if you ignore the strides he made in the fields of business and technology, you'd be doing an injustice to him.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
dbphreakdb said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
If you have billions of dollars? Yes.
If I don't wanna run or donate a charity, that's my right (i'd much rather take a homeless guy out to a meal than give him money that could possibly be spent on something else, then give him money when he's actually done eating).

No, Steve Jobs wasn't some saint. Yes, he could be rather.... ugly, personality wise. But maybe, we could put a bit of human decency out there and leave the man alone.

OT: Maybe he finally saw the equation that led to 42.
That's fine too. You're still helping someone in need. What I'm saying is, Jobs had the means to do a lot of good, and he didn't do shit. That's what I don't like about him. As for leaving him alone, I'll leave him alone when people stop hailing him as a saint to all technology.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
maybe internal pain from whatever vital organ failing...thats my best guess. I hope I never have to feel the pain of Cancer. I'm very Lucky...

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
hiks89 said:
I don't donate to charity, should I die in agony?
Nah, you don't have a mind blowing source of income that could be used constructively.

I guess it's just something that we as a society think that celebrities or 'billion dollar babies' should do out of respect.

Like, playing at a breast cancer awareness concert or supplying the money for a new wing in a hospital so it's named after you.

Unless you do it too much.

*Ahem*
Oprah.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
TacticalAssassin1 said:
ImmortalDrifter said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
Arsen said:
Sigh.

Sooooo many atheists.
Sigh.

Sooooo many anti-rationalists.
That's a very well hidden insult you have going there. Odd, I don't seem to see him insulting you...
Great, you won't see me insulting him then.
But we DID just see you insult him so your comment doesn't really make any sense.

bruggs

Jul 29, 2011
He clearly passed through the light at the end of the tunnel, saw white as far as the eye could see and thought, "This must be a mac store".

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with you? Did he ever personally hurt you? Did he ever cause someone's death or something?

I imagine the comment was fueled by the fact that Mr Jobs was extremely wealthy and never bothered to do anything good with it. The man never performed a philanthropic act in his life.

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
Chelsea O said:
Xangi said:
Trull said:
I like to think he saw god. It makes a lotta sense. Well, assuming he's atheist (and apparently he's an asshat so he prolly is)
Wow dude, way to stereotype there. I'm assuming you're a religious type, so you should stop violating that (child/woman/goat/baby female goat/Lower-Caste peasant) and pray to (God/Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah/Buddah(if you're mahayana)//whatever deity you're constructed for yourself) that he'll (forgive/enlighten) you so you won't (go to hell/be re-incarnated as a grape/be trapped in samsara forever) because of your blatant insults toward a group of people that have likely not done anything to harm you in your entire life.

Not very nice when other people do it, is it?
i would get mad too,but that guys name is trull,and we can guess what he may well be.
Holy crap, I completely missed that!

*facepalm*

Now, if only he actually WASN'T trolling, that would be hilarious.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Marter said:
Obviously, it was the name of his sled when he was a child.

OT: He saw Apple being run by his great, great grandson who was overseeing the subjugation of the last pocket of resistance on the planet. World domination, in a matter of a few decades will at last be within his companies grasp!

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
CarlMinez said:
Hyper-space said:
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:

The dude exploited a loop-hole in california law to be able to park in handicap-spaces. He denied a long-time Apple employee stock options because he could. Then there's This ugly business of him using his money and resources to game the system when it comes to organ transplant using something called multiple-listing.

Dude was a dick.

EDIT: Oh and the Foxconn factories which Apple used to manufacture iPhones.
Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs was the only wealthy man in history who has used his resources and means to get the medical treatment needed to save his life. And just look at his other sins; handicapped parking, denying an employee stock options, yeah I guess you're right, the dead man doesn't deserve any respect.
Well, as much respect as the employees at Foxconn, that is, none. You do know that Foxconn had an immense problem with suicides right? and that using factories with inhumane working conditions is still unethical as shit, despite other rich people doing it too...right?

Saying that "oh every rich guy does it" doesn't help his case, or make him entitled to any more respect. The dude was an asshole, pure and simple, who used what is akin to slave labor in order to increase his profits.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Hyper-space said:
CarlMinez said:
Hyper-space said:
ZeroMachine said:
Mad Stalin said:

The dude exploited a loop-hole in california law to be able to park in handicap-spaces. He denied a long-time Apple employee stock options because he could. Then there's This ugly business of him using his money and resources to game the system when it comes to organ transplant using something called multiple-listing.

Dude was a dick.

EDIT: Oh and the Foxconn factories which Apple used to manufacture iPhones.
Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs was the only wealthy man in history who has used his resources and means to get the medical treatment needed to save his life. And just look at his other sins; handicapped parking, denying an employee stock options, yeah I guess you're right, the dead man doesn't deserve any respect.
Well, as much respect as the employees at Foxconn, that is, none. You do know that Foxconn had an immense problem with suicides right? and that using factories with inhumane working conditions is still unethical as shit, despite other rich people doing it too...right?

Saying that "oh every rich guy does it" doesn't help his case, or make him entitled to any more respect. The dude was an asshole, pure and simple, who used what is akin to slave labor in order to increase his profits.
You defended someone who hoped that Steve Jobs died in agony.
Because Apple hired Foxconn as a supplier?

Do any other Apple employees from upper management deserve to die in agony as well? How about Dell, Microsoft, Sony, Nokia, Hewlett-Packard, Nintendo? Do employees from these companies deserve to die in agony? (At least Apple set up its own team of suicide prevention experts to work with Foxconn and offer guidance for further improvements.)

Yeah, I?m honestly curious because you seem to be pretty indiscriminate about who you curse. You are likely to have bought the products from any of these companies, thus indirectly supporting Foxconn, so by your standards, I guess you deserve to die in agony as well.

If this is starting to sound ridicules, it?s because it is. I sure as hell didn?t like Steve Jobs, but I still have the decency in me to respect the dead man and his mourning family enough not to insult him a few weeks after his death.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
Xangi said:
Chelsea O said:
Xangi said:
Trull said:
I like to think he saw god. It makes a lotta sense. Well, assuming he's atheist (and apparently he's an asshat so he prolly is)
Wow dude, way to stereotype there. I'm assuming you're a religious type, so you should stop violating that (child/woman/goat/baby female goat/Lower-Caste peasant) and pray to (God/Yahweh/Jehovah/Allah/Buddah(if you're mahayana)//whatever deity you're constructed for yourself) that he'll (forgive/enlighten) you so you won't (go to hell/be re-incarnated as a grape/be trapped in samsara forever) because of your blatant insults toward a group of people that have likely not done anything to harm you in your entire life.

Not very nice when other people do it, is it?
i would get mad too,but that guys name is trull,and we can guess what he may well be.
Holy crap, I completely missed that!

*facepalm*

Now, if only he actually WASN'T trolling, that would be hilarious.
it would be hilarious,but his post is obvious trolling.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
hiks89 said:
i dont donate to charity, should i die in agony?
If you're worth $8 billion or w/e and you don't donate to charity, you're a dick. Not saying you should die in agony; I wouldn't even wish that on Hitler, but I certainly have little respect for the man.
Why's that? I mean, I get why rich people should donate more then other people, but that's a matter of percentages. How high a percentage of your assets did you give to charity last year? That's what you can claim a moral highground on.
I donated 10% of my income to charity last year, though as a student, that amounted to only $220, if you're curious.

And it's not just a matter of percentages. It is a tremendous sacrifice for a poor person (not saying I'm a poor person, btw, but there are lower-income people who nonetheless donate) to donate 5% of his income to charity; for a rich person, not so much.
It's 5% of his income. That's as big a part of his income as 5% of your income and everyone elses income.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Phuctifyno said:
The nerve endings in his brain were firing as he died, and some random memory of a baseball game popped into his head. It meant nothing...

...until it becomes crucially relevant when the aliens invade.

What a twist!!!
See, Citizen Kane references are great and all, but they're utterly cliché and even people who never saw the movie understand them.

Now referencing SIGNS, that's brilliant.
Thank you.

Signs is, after all, the Citizen Kane of our generation.

Wait, no it isn't.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nudu said:
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
hiks89 said:
If you're worth $8 billion or w/e and you don't donate to charity, you're a dick. Not saying you should die in agony; I wouldn't even wish that on Hitler, but I certainly have little respect for the man.
Why's that? I mean, I get why rich people should donate more then other people, but that's a matter of percentages. How high a percentage of your assets did you give to charity last year? That's what you can claim a moral highground on.
I donated 10% of my income to charity last year, though as a student, that amounted to only $220, if you're curious.

And it's not just a matter of percentages. It is a tremendous sacrifice for a poor person (not saying I'm a poor person, btw, but there are lower-income people who nonetheless donate) to donate 5% of his income to charity; for a rich person, not so much.
It's 5% of his income. That's as big a part of his income as 5% of your income and everyone elses income.
First of all, he donates 0% of his income. If he actually donated 5% of his income, or about $80 million, then no one would have any complaints. Second, if you're going to do % of something, make it % of disposable income or % of luxury spending. It doesn't make sense to ask someone to donate when they can't even cover food or rent. It does make sense to ask someone to donate when they have a fleet of cars and several mansions (not talking about Jobs btw, just the wealthy in general).

I've never understood the obsessive protection of the rich in some people...

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
hiks89 said:

First of all, he donates 0% of his income. If he actually donated 5% of his income, or about $80 million, then no one would have any complaints. Second, if you're going to do % of something, make it % of disposable income or % of luxury spending. It doesn't make sense to ask someone to donate when they can't even cover food or rent. It does make sense to ask someone to donate when they have a fleet of cars and several mansions (not talking about Jobs btw, just the wealthy in general).

I'm not obsessivly protective of the rich. I support occupy wall-street and such, but that doesn't mean that being rich makes you evil, and I think you're being unreasonable. Yeah, he should have given more to charity, but so should most other people.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nudu said:
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
Nudu said:
dyre said:
hiks89 said:

I'm not obsessivly protective of the rich. I support occupy wall-street and such, but that doesn't mean that being rich makes you evil, and I think you're being unreasonable. Yeah, he should have given more to charity, but so should most other people.
He should've given something to charity. "More" implies he gave at least a little.

Of course being rich doesn't make you evil. I didn't say that. Having the means to greatly improve someone else's life at pretty much no personal cost, and choosing not to do so, makes you a jerk. It doesn't mean you should die, or get punched in the face, or anything. It just means I won't respect you much, alive or dead.

Caeltyr

Oct 17, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
Caeltyr said:
See, he had just had a glimpse of his new home in heaven, where -- due to temporary restrictions of space -- he was going to be sharing a room with Moses, who recently upgraded his stone tablets ... to a couple of iPads.

I think my reaction would have been the same.
I'm sorry, I read this and I couldn't resist making this:

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.

Also Moses is a trekkie. Who'da thought?
That is a new kind of awesome. A category has yet to be determined for how crazy awesome that is.

Also, I pegged Moses as more of a Stargate fan.