Steve Jobs Movie Rights Snatched Up

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Steve Jobs Movie Rights Snatched Up

The former CEO of Apple will have his own biopic out soon.

Technology figures have had their fair share of the spotlight in recent years. 2010's The Social Network examination into the birth of Facebook shed a light onto Mark Zuckerberg's personal life, while former Apple computer architect Steve Wozniak was on Dancing with the Stars in 2009. But other than the dramatic retelling of Microsoft's Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in the made-for-TV drama Pirates of Silicon Valley, there hasn't been a depiction of the former Apple CEO in popular culture. Jobs was notorious about restricting how his life was chronicled, but before his death he agreed to let Walter Isaacson - editor of Time - write Jobs' authorized biography. Rumors are swirling around Hollywood that Sony Pictures has put up to $3 million to purchase the rights to make Isaacson's book into a movie.

The biography was originally called iSteve: the Book Of Jobs but such a tongue-in-cheek title seemed to be disrespectful given the recent departure of the subject. Isaacson compiled the 448-page tome now just called Steve Jobs from more than 40 conversations with Jobs before he died and countless questions put to the people close to him both professionally and personally.

Mark Gordon is set to produce the film adaptation and he seems like a perfect choice given his experience with The Social Network and Moneyball in turning non-fiction books into compelling films.

Unlike the people who mourned Jobs last week with tearful vigils and endless Facebook posts, I don't have a sentimental connection to the former CEO, but I respect that he was very good at what he did. I would see a movie based on his life just as long as it had a dramatic hook to it. The guy who made good business decisions doesn't seem like that interesting of a main character to me.

Unless maybe he had dyslexia or something.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/sony-pictures-acquiring-apple-icon-steven-jobs-book-for-feature-film/]

LJJ1991

May 6, 2011
I'm definitely not surprised by a formation of a movie. I'm a little bit shocked that the rights have ALREADY been taken, his death being so recent, and it almost seems a little disrespectful to me, but taking into account that the film probably won't be out for a year or so, I guess it's alright.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Anybody here have any experience breaking into morgues? I want to see if his body is cold yet.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
There's already Pirates of Silicon Valley. It portrays how Microsoft and Apple came to be (and I recommend it to anyone who's interested in this subject), but since it was made before the time Apple let Steve Jobs go (and him coming back to save them later on) I guess there's a potential to making another film about it. I just hope it would stay as objective as possible.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'm sure they could do an amazing Documentary about Jobs, particularly if any of those interviews were films (although I doubt they were). But a Social Network styled biopic? That just doesn't sound like it has much weight to it.

Jobs did lead an interesting life. His forced departure from Apple, founding of Pixar, and eventual return to Apple has its moments of drama . . . . but I don't see how one can put together a movie about making blue fishbowl iMacs, releasing the iPod, or the not-at-all-surprising release of the iPhone.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Doom972 said:
There's already Pirates of Silicon Valley. It portrays how Microsoft and Apple came to be (and I recommend it to anyone who's interested in this subject), but since it was made before the time Apple let Steve Jobs go
No, it mentions Jobs being fired at the end.

That being said, as soon as this comes out, I will watch Pirates of Silicon Valley instead. Marcus Fenix as Steve Ballmer, doesn't get any better.

P.S. Thanks

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Greg Tito said:
But other than the dramatic retelling of Microsoft's Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in the made-for-TV drama Pirates of Silicon Valley, there hasn't been a depiction of the former Apple CEO in popular culture.
Ah yes, Pirates of Silicon Valley. The acting was hammy and it had its fair share of fact-bending (as is the case for just about any movie "based on a true story"), but it was still fairly accurate. It's a guilty pleasure of mine and my favorite made-for-TV movie:
Anyway, it seems tacky to scramble for things like movies rights so soon after Steve's death. The body's only just cooled and people are already trying to make a buck off of it. Oh well, what can you do?

I just hope it stays factual (or at least as factual as one can hope for) and accurately portrays the man and his legacy.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Just like with Michael Jackson, once they die they can't stay fucking dead. It's very sad to see people trying to make profit out of the dead not to even mention the recently deceased.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
If anyone is going to make a Steve Jobs movie, it should be Pixar.
I second this. He helped Pixar become what it is today, it only seems fair.

Although I don't really want a film.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
So is the movie going to include him denying paternity of his child for 2 years of her life, claiming he was sterile then going on to have 3 kids later on in life?

Is it going to include him being an absolute jack ass tyrant to anyone who worked for him? You know, that place that also has a internal task force dedicated to ensuring secrecy and destroying anyone who gets in the way? How Steve jobs has no issues buying off police and raiding suspected journalists houses for evidence of his products?

Is it going to include any mentions of the propaganda filled illegal workforce factories at Foxconn with near inhumane living accommodations and laughable pay that Apple has tried to cover up for years? You know that place where suicide has been a better option than working for the families with workers there?

Is it going to include anything about Jobs and Apples completely un-American beliefs and actions toward free speech and free market place? You know, cause Apple tries it's hardest to control the "App" market and ensure complete censorship to their liking. Funny how hypocritical it all is considering they used to mock and accuse other industry leaders of the same thing...

Lets not forget how Jobs and Apple seem to think it's a swell thing to sue anyone and everyone who even looks at Apple or intends to release a competing product. If you can't beat them, sue them right?

Steve Jobs and Apple should not be idolized. They are a huge step backwards for freedom and human rights. The sheep out there can't see this, and won't admit it though. They will just keep following blindly and ignore facts. Then I'll be flamed for pointing out truth.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
koroem said:
So is the movie going to include him denying paternity of his child for 2 years of her life, claiming he was sterile then going on to have 3 kids later on in life?

Is it going to include him being an absolute jack ass tyrant to anyone who worked for him? You know, that place that also has a internal task force dedicated to ensuring secrecy and destroying anyone who gets in the way? How Steve jobs has no issues buying off police and raiding suspected journalists houses for evidence of his products?

Is it going to include any mentions of the propaganda filled illegal workforce factories at Foxconn with near inhumane living accommodations and laughable pay that Apple has tried to cover up for years? You know that place where suicide has been a better option than working for the families with workers there?

Is it going to include anything about Jobs and Apples completely un-American beliefs and actions toward free speech and free market place? You know, cause Apple tries it's hardest to control the "App" market and ensure complete censorship to their liking. Funny how hypocritical it all is considering they used to mock and accuse other industry leaders of the same thing...

Lets not forget how Jobs and Apple seem to think it's a swell thing to sue anyone and everyone who even looks at Apple or intends to release a competing product. If you can't beat them, sue them right?

Steve Jobs and Apple should not be idolized. They are a huge step backwards for freedom and human rights. The sheep out there can't see this, and won't admit it though. They will just keep following blindly and ignore facts. Then I'll be flamed for pointing out truth.
Looks like someone took a ride on the grumpy train today!

OT: I think it will make a crap movie, and they could have at least waited a few months to do this.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I honestly didn't care for the man and, as weird as it's gonna sound, I didn't know much about him, barely his name, if anything, before his death. The only way I knew he existed was thanks to a Robot Chicken sketch. Sorry, I'm just not into Apple products; maybe that's why. So I'm not gonna pretend I'm saddened at all by his death. Sorry.

At any rate, I'll admit the man did a lot and stuff, but this whole idolization for the guy is getting out of hand. He was not Einstein or Elvis or George Washington. He was just a really smart businessman. If they wanna make a movie about it, fine by me. At least now I'll know who he was exactly. What bugs me is that once someone dies, they obtain worldwide fame based on whatever it is they did while they were alive.
It's redundant because the reason they're famous is because of the things they did. And that's obviously fine. But I get the feeling that if Steve Jobs had chosen to sell churros before he died, people would praise his churros and would refer to them as godly. Just like it happened with Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson and so on. Just look, if Justin Bieber dies tomorrow, people will make a god out of him even if his music is crap.

(Disclaimer: Sorry, Justin's music IS crap. His voice is not that amazing, his music is not innovative and he's not bringing anything new to the table. Not saying I could do it better because that has nothing to do with this; just saying he's not good. Also, I like the word churros)

Wow, that post was all over the place, huh?

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I have a hard time seeing it would turn out good, although I've been wrong a lot before so... But I hope they will show that he was not only the nice guy that some seem to think he always were..

But if they start filming it now it won't be out for a year and the general public will have started to forget he's death... but they probably should have waited a while like a month at least..

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
koroem said:
You, apart from my girlfriend, are my favorite person, suddenly. Anti-apple talk is literally music to my ears. Have you been in any art department in America and not seen it stockpiled with apple shit? It's infuriating. Thank you for your post.

op: Wow, one big fuckin apple ad. No thank you. I might watch it if it were a documentary, but this form is just silly and asking for $$$. Regardless of who it is though, doesn't 'too soon' ring a bell?

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
koroem said:

Just adding fuel to the fire, but I'm just going to point out how in 1997, shortly after he took control back from Apple, he eliminated all philanthropy programs.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
TeeBs said:
Just adding fuel to the fire, but I'm just going to point out how in 1997, shortly after he took control back from Apple, he eliminated all philanthropy programs.
Yeah I didn't mention that one because as far as it in his personal life I feel like it is his own choice. I mean, Bill Gates (the other big not-so-evil computer guy made to appear evil by Jobs and Apple) is giving away billions of dollars and runs a charity. Just shows how greedy and selfish Jobs was. Again it's his choice, but people who idolize him don't seem to take into account basic things like this before saying he was a god among men. pffft.

But the company Apple? Come on, they probably get ridiculous tax breaks from the government, and don't give anything back to the community other then the tights violation crap I outlined above. Those aren't guys I wanna give my money to.