Steve Jobs Raged Over Bungie Acquisition

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Mcface said:
Erana said:
Mcface said:
It worked out. Microsoft got to make some games, and Mac gets to sell to hipsters who are used to paying for overpriced junk from all of their time spent in coffee shops.
Yeah, you've really got me down pat. I'm such a hipster, and I pay $12 for a latte. Yeah, I'm going to go drive my iCar to the coffee shop right now and go hip the place up like crazy. I'll bring my Macbook and totally not run almost all PC games through Wine, and then I'll go rub my iPod all over my face for good measure.
Because that's TOTALLY what Mac users do.

Not really surprising.
sarcasm, learn it

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Not surprised in the slightest Steve Jobs has a reputation as a raging dick.

Okysho said:
Mcface said:
Erana said:
Mcface said:
It worked out. Microsoft got to make some games, and Mac gets to sell to hipsters who are used to paying for overpriced junk from all of their time spent in coffee shops.
Yeah, you've really got me down pat. I'm such a hipster, and I pay $12 for a latte. Yeah, I'm going to go drive my iCar to the coffee shop right now and go hip the place up like crazy. I'll bring my Macbook and totally not run almost all PC games through Wine, and then I'll go rub my iPod all over my face for good measure.

Not really surprising.
sarcasm, learn it
Follow your own advice.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This was back in the days of Marathon, Myth and Oni... where Bungie was consistently creative.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
HBaskerville said:
So 9 years ago Steve Jobs was upset about a competitor. Good thing we are on top of the new cycle. Maybe next we'll get an update on why the Titanic is late pulling into port?
If they ran out of coal for the boilers I'm gonna be pissed. I had some friends coming over on that thing. Sure they can spend a ton of money making it look nice but they can't manage to make it run on time.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
Bungie has a video on their youtube channel where jobs announced halo. oh oh oh how I would have wanted to see jobs' face when he heard they took bungie away.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Okysho said:
Mcface said:
Erana said:
Mcface said:

Not really surprising.
sarcasm, learn it
As user above stated, take your own advice.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Popido said:
If it was first ment for Macs, can I still use the PCElitism card on this one?
It's like the race card if you use it you loose^^ Or the everything a nazi card for that matter.
But yeah bill gates didn't support gaming so it's his fault. He even tris to block flash games from the ipad.
Funny that the best pc version of halo is still on pc with working multiplayer etc.
With it being the reason the xbox sold.
Btw I heard that the xbox (original) couldf output a 1920p signal unless you pal. No wonder Microsift put that much cash behind the system. Do the same with mac steve, then you'll get to complain

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
SantoUno said:
Arec Balrin said:
Well this explains why the first Halo was ok as it started out development as PC-native, then got worse and worse after it became console-native.

It's just more evidence to support the master-race's argument.
You've got to be joking, this isn't the thread for a response as irrelevant as that.

OT: Seeing how popular Halo got, I'm not surprised, it could have sold Macs as much as it did Xboxes.

But then again, how many people would have owned Macs AND be gamers at that time? Not very much I believe.
As a PC player it's relevant to me because Microsoft has been consistent in their assault on a platform which they should support and occasionally still claim they do in spite of all evidence to the contrary. We have more reason to be annoyed than Steve Jobs.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Bungie first approached Microsoft about releasing a version of the game for the new console. Microsoft came back and loved the game idea so much they offered to buy the studio. It is not like Microsoft bought the studio just to spite Apple.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
stinkychops said:
Erana said:
Mcface said:
You used that iPod line before. Quit cheaping out on the wit.

People who buy makes pretty much are spending money for convenience. So you can't exactly act indignant when someone suggests Mactards are too eager to consume soon to be worthless overpriced equipment.
Let's take a look at my track record:
The last PC I had lasted for a year, and I had to reformat the hard drive 12 times. The hard drive was replaced twice, too. The motherboard was also a lemon, and I had to go get it replaced.
The PC before that was my attempt to go, "Hey, I should do the smart thing and build a computer for myself!" The damn thing broke within the first week of my having it. My father then took it and gutted it, taking all the parts for himself. :(
The PC before that was a Dell. It lasted a fairly long time, but it stopped producing audio within the second year of my owning it. It petered out a year after that.
The computer before that died in five months. It was a laptop, and the hard drive just broke one day, apparently. Two different tech guys told us they couldn't fix it.
The computer before that was the first computer that was really mine, and the mother board and power source randomly fried. I don't know the details.

I've also gone through nine cell phones in three years, and 12 MP3 players in five.
I have bad luck with electronics.
I tried Apple out of desperation, and to my suprise, it has worked for me. I've only had to reformat the hard drive twice on this thing, and I've gone over a year now with it. I've been able to get everything I want out of this computer, from art programs to video games, without a hitch. I'm happy with it. It works for me. I'm not saying PCs are inferior by any means. I'm perfectly fine with most people preferring PCs, and I generally recommend people to go for PCs. But Mac works for me.

I have my reasons for preferring Macs in my personal situation. But I really shouldn't need reasons for having a personal opinion if I'm not hurting anyone because of it. I'd just appreciate getting a little bit of tolerance for my personal opinion, rather than be generalized and insulted for it.

Is that really too much to ask of the Escapist?

commodorejohn

Oct 16, 2009
Steve Jobs and Steve Ballmer in a room together having a spat would probably be the funniest thing the computer industry has ever produced.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Erana said:
stinkychops said:
Erana said:
Mcface said:
You used that iPod line before. Quit cheaping out on the wit.

People who buy makes pretty much are spending money for convenience. So you can't exactly act indignant when someone suggests Mactards are too eager to consume soon to be worthless overpriced equipment.
Let's take a look at my track record:
The last PC I had lasted for a year, and I had to reformat the hard drive 12 times. The hard drive was replaced twice, too. The motherboard was also a lemon, and I had to go get it replaced.
The PC before that was my attempt to go, "Hey, I should do the smart thing and build a computer for myself!" The damn thing broke within the first week of my having it. My father then took it and gutted it, taking all the parts for himself. :(
The PC before that was a Dell. It lasted a fairly long time, but it stopped producing audio within the second year of my owning it. It petered out a year after that.
The computer before that died in five months. It was a laptop, and the hard drive just broke one day, apparently. Two different tech guys told us they couldn't fix it.
The computer before that was the first computer that was really mine, and the mother board and power source randomly fried. I don't know the details.

I've also gone through nine cell phones in three years, and 12 MP3 players in five.
I have bad luck with electronics.
I tried Apple out of desperation, and to my suprise, it has worked for me. I've only had to reformat the hard drive twice on this thing, and I've gone over a year now with it. I've been able to get everything I want out of this computer, from art programs to video games, without a hitch. I'm happy with it. It works for me. I'm not saying PCs are inferior by any means. I'm perfectly fine with most people preferring PCs, and I generally recommend people to go for PCs. But Mac works for me.

I have my reasons for preferring Macs in my personal situation. But I really shouldn't need reasons for having a personal opinion if I'm not hurting anyone because of it. I'd just appreciate getting a little bit of tolerance for my personal opinion, rather than be generalized and insulted for it.

Is that really too much to ask of the Escapist?
As much as I hate Mac fanaticism, this isn't fanaticism, it's sense. Mac products are great at just working. They some how just make themselves idiot-proof (Not calling you an idiot Erana). When you need something to work more than having higher, complex functions, then Macs are the answer. After all, how are you even going to miss those higher, complex functions if you can't get the simple ones to work either?

And for the record, I don't hate Macs as much as the people love them like they are the best thing since sliced bread. It's just like how I hate Halo fanboys: you are allowed to love something, but don't say it's the best thing ever if something else did it better, and don't get insulted when some one else points this out.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
mikecoulter said:
To be honest, he was right to be annoyed, but if he cared that much, why didn't he buy them?
Because Apple doesn't have a culture of acquisition. Some people simply don't subscribe to the notion that you should just buy your way into winning.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I remember when that happened. Halo was supposed to be the first major game for OSX which was just coming out. So yeah, I was kind of bummed. It would've been cool as a Mac/PC game and yes, I think they would have been more polished games if they were made that way. It seems like Microsoft might have rushed the rest of the franchise. And yes, I suppose if you're the sort to pull the 'master race card' Macs would count, it's really about a computer vs. a gaming console. I don't think the OS is factor in that argument.
SantoUno said:
But then again, how many people would have owned Macs AND be gamers at that time? Not very much I believe.
Actually quite a few. This was the mid-late '90s. In 1996 Quake hit the PC market and was ported to Mac in early 1997. That game was played on both Windows and MacOS alike by tons of people. One server handled both operating systems with ease. iD did a great job with that one. Then in 1998, Starcraft was released for both Mac and PC, so that continued. In 1999, Quake 3: Arena was released for Mac/PC simultaneously. Unreal Tournament also landed. So yes, at that time there were a lot of Mac gamers.

HankMan said:
Poor Steve Jobs. Instead of Master Chief, he got Justin Long.
Ah yes, but before Bill Gates got Master Chief, Steve Jobs got this guy:
and if you know his story (a cookie for his name) then you know he could most likely curb stomp Master Chief. He had to put up with quite a lot in his games.