Stolen Pixels #146: The Reason for the Season

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Georgeman said:
"Hohoho! Merry Christmas!"

That's precisely how the companies are thinking. Dumping all the games just in time for the Christmas while forgetting the rest of the periods. And you know what is funny? The fact that quite a few games were delayed for the 1st quarter of 2010. There were even more games scheduled for Q4 2009!
Welcome to economics 101:

Lession 1: put product out when there are the most people to buy it (i.e. the holiday season). The spring and fall are the main times you will see public launches for most products, whether it be for Fashion, Movies, or Video Games.

Also: is that shirt availible to purchase? Because if it isn't, I smell a money-making oppertunity, if this thread is any indication...

TheLegend84

Aug 11, 2009
Lets be honest it is only the tip of the iceberg.

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Army of Two: The 40th Day
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Napoleon: Total War
Star Trek: Online

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Not to mention the fact that the common gamer isn't going to have the cash or time to buy all these games and play them, so you're depriving gamers of the opportunity to play your games, and therefore make money off of them.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
TheLegend84 said:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4
My thoughts exactly.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Mullahgrrl said:
Doug said:
How compelling... ;)
Are you compelled?

I'm compelled!
That comment is CINEMATIC. ***ERROR: ROJO ERROR 1216***

EDIT:
TheLegend84 said:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
Bayonetta
Darksiders
Dark Void
MAG
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2
Lost Planet 2
Dante's Inferno

MARCH

God of War III
Final Fantasy XIII
Command & Conquer 4
Really? I'm afraid mine is currently abit shorter:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
(don't know what Darksiders is)
(don't know what Dark Void is)
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2 (maybe)
Dante's Inferno (maybe)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (maybe)
Star Trek: Online (maybe - want to demo it first)

MARCH

Command & Conquer 4 (maybe - depends if EA just go for 'a large number of breasts is our ad campaign' policy or not).
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (probably).

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
So very true. Releasing everything in close proximity to Christmas holidays is not exactly a good tactic. Sure, things like Modern Warfare 2 get a tremendous sale boost, but what about the games that don't get bought as eagerly?

[small]And FYI, if people actually bought a game with biggest number on the end, and if it actually had a number on the end, then A Crack In Time - an eighth istallment of R&C - would be ludicrously successful.[/small]

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Just make January first the official release date for all games. That way we have the entire year to buy and play them, and Bioware has the entire year to release whatever patch makes their latest game work.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I agree 100%. I only buy one of these games at a time, so they're not really cashing in on the Christmas thing.

TheLegend84

Aug 11, 2009
Doug said:
Mullahgrrl said:
Doug said:
How compelling... ;)
Are you compelled?

I'm compelled!
That comment is CINEMATIC. ***ERROR: ROJO ERROR 1216***

EDIT:
TheLegend84 said:

snip list
Really? I'm afraid mine is currently abit shorter:

JANUARY

Mass Effect 2
(don't know what Darksiders is)
(don't know what Dark Void is)
No More Heroes 2

FEBRUARY

BioShock 2 (maybe)
Dante's Inferno (maybe)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (maybe)
Star Trek: Online (maybe - want to demo it first)

MARCH

Command & Conquer 4 (maybe - depends if EA just go for 'a large number of breasts is our ad campaign' policy or not).
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (probably).
My list isn't actually that large. Those are just the games that are coming out in the first 3 months of next year.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
As a game reviewer, I totally feel your pain, Travis!

In the summer, I was totally outta work, nothing to review other than buget bin trash, all I could do is lay on the beach all day sipping cocktails, you know how boring that was?! And now? I barely have time to do my regular job, thanks to all the releases, and I'm afraid I won't have time to spend the holidays with my awesome relatives, who arrive from everywhere and take over the house like the Soviet army. *sigh* I guess it will be a lonely Christmas, just me and all the video games I can play 24/7. Fuck you, publishers!

/sarcasm

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Amnestic said:
No one in Britain wants to go outside during the summer. It's raining.
How's that different from Spring, Autumn or Winter?
Wind Chill. :D

But more seriously: I really hate the summer games drought and the flood at the end of the year, to bad marketing determines release date more than anything these days and the holidays are a great time to sell new shiny stuff.

Allo-Allo-Allo

Apr 17, 2009
seriously? just buy Dragon Age, over 50 hours and im still as hooked as when i first started. It is equal to, if not better than, BG:TOSC. but if you were hoping its not even in the same leauge as Arcanum.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Amnestic said:
Shamus Young said:
When all games are being released on the same date, how are you supposed to choose which ones to buy?
Pick up a case of each game. Throw them at the store clerk. Whichever one concusses him you buy.

Obviously Guitar Hero/Rock Band and any special edition games have an innate advantage for this being that they're larger and heavier.
I've got a better system. Go into any major retailer, hang around the games section, and wait for the biggest, baddest-looking biker dude you can find to walk by. Shove him forcefully into the game shelves. Whatever game he picks up to beat you senseless, that's the game you'll want to buy... once you get out of the hospital, of course.

[small]Mind you, there is a small but non-zero chance that you could find yourself beaten to death with Hello Kitty Island, which means that you will be condemned to an eternity of being Satan's spitoon. Seriously, it's in the New Testament, look it up.[/small]

Also, Shamus? That shirt design. Escapist store. Please to be making it happen.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Stolen Pixels #146: The Reason for the Season

When all games are being released on the same date, how are you supposed to choose which ones to buy?
You lost me at ODST (which was September 22nd, hardly 'Holiday' season).

On a personal stance; you buy what you like. Someone who prefers Ratchet and Clank's platformer adventuring might not enjoy the brutal FPS combat of Modern Warfare 2 in the same way the co-op zombie apocalypse might not appeal to either of them.

From a reviewer stance; well, no-one's asking you to review them all but then that's why we have more than one reviewer in the world. Once you segment the games by platform you see there's a lot less to go through. You don't have to review them all at once after all.

Jer_LRR

ENN Reporter & Photoshop Wizard
Sep 30, 2009
Compelling comic ... and shirt -- though we may have to have a custody battle, should you ever produce it for real-real ;).