Stolen Pixels #147: Naked Greed

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Ever since Aerith (Aeris? You all know who I'm talking about), I've tried to do this. If it's obvious they're going to leave soon... well, All your armor are belong to us. Tales of Symphonia obviously saw that coming though.

Uilleand

Mar 20, 2009
Bahahah!!
So totally did this.
It does, however, make 'The Joining' scene a wee tad less ... dramatic. *snerk*

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
BTW what the hell is a mook? Sounds like some derogatory term you would call some Asian man.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
Hahahahahaha! Damn Shamus! It's nice to see that good old paranoia hasn't disappeared from modern rpgs. ^_^

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Oh yeah, I did that too. I also pickpocketed everyone I could in every damn city/castle/whatever, even the traveling merchant.

Cuz hey, if I'm saving their asses, they owe me some green. Am I wrong, fellas?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hahahahaha... best Stolen Pixels yet because it is so true. I do this in every game that allows me. Ever since Algus and Gafgarion betrayed my ass in FFT for the first time I've been wary of any temporary party member until they become permanent ones.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Poomanchu745 said:
BTW what the hell is a mook? Sounds like some derogatory term you would call some Asian man.
I thought the same thing for the longest time. I heard people say "mook" and for some reason I thought it was this awful racist slur against African-Americans. (I was confusing it with the now-archaic "spook".)

It was just a couple of months ago I Google'd around and found out "mook" is just a minion, henchmen, cannon-fodder, etc.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Dectilon said:
At one point I moved all of Sten's gear to another character, and every time I went to camp I just couldn't help but laugh at the guy, trying to look darkly intense while standing there in his underwear. Try it, it makes anything he says seem incredibly amusing.
Oh yeah, that idiot. We didn't see eye to eye until I beat him in a fight (next time I'll remove his gear to make it easir for me to trash him). Now we're back on cordial terms with each other. And he better not die or leave because he's got my Dragon Plate armour on and if I lose that I will scream.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
ROFL... I used to do that in other Bioware games. "Betray me, will ya?! " But in Dragon Age - as far as I can tell - you get everything back when they croak. Maybe just for this very reason ;-)

Now - that said - I do deny Jory and Daveth (da mooks) any healing and injury kits when I play through (hey, they're expensive at the start!). So, I'm pretty sure, if they didn't die according to the plot, they'd expire from the sheer number of broken bones and internal injuries they rack up along the way XD

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
That was one of the funnier ones you've done lately. Luckily, as people have said already, at least Dragon Age gives you their gear when they leave your party for one reason or another. It is definetely an immersion breaker though when you do it though.

Apr 28, 2008
hehe, I don't do this in Origin's since it gives you their items if they die/run off.

but in other RPG's I do this, all the time.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Neverwinter Nights 2 had an even more interesting take on this situation

Near the end of the game all your party members would decide to fight for you, against you or just flat out leave - based on your actions towards them throughout the game. Stripping those that were going to fight against you of their gear not only ensured you held on to it(although you could probably still loot it afterward), but it made the fights easier.

Excuse me mister evil ranger who hasn't agreed with a single thing I did all game despite me playing an self-centered lawful evil character as well - mind if I take a look at your +3 bow, fancy leather armor and all your magic jewelry? Thanks. Now commence with attempting to backstab me and see how that works out for you.

What could/would have been interesting it work magic items into the approval system similar to how henchmen or minions would work in some of the earlier editions of D&D. If you give them a magic item they are going to be less likely to leave your service, but they are going to consider that items theirs and will likely only part with it if you buy it off them or give them something better.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
dont know about you but when my party members die i end up with their gear in my inventory without even bothering to loot em.....even during cut scenes (in dragon age that is)

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Leifur said:
Damn, I never even thought about doing that, even on my second run through. funny as always :)
Me either. I will next time though lol. Thanks for the tip.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I did something similar to this in "Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin" for the Nintendo DS.

One of the final bosses in the game is a doppleganger that copies all the equipment and moves of the *first* character that enters the room. I walked in as Johnathon and got my butt handed to me by...well, my uber vampire killing character build.

So I got curious and went into Charlotte's equipment list (the female protagonist that tags along with Johnathon in the game) and took off everything from her and gave her the weakest weapon she could wield (which happens to be a plain book). I walked into the room as Charlotte and sure enough the Doppleganger copied her weak form, which I immediately switched to my Johnathon to...well, slap around his partner?

Fortunately Charlotte isn't entirely naked in the game as the henchmen are in Dragon Age. Though now that I think of it, I'm abusing the game by picking the female protagonist to be beaten on by the male protagonist.

Now I feel like a sexist. :(

GameGhost

Aug 15, 2006
I got Sten to join my party in Lothering just after having sold all my spare stuff. He comes with nothing but the peasant clothes on his back, so I stripped Alistair to clothe him. Then I left Lothering. It made for a very awkward campfire scene....

zBeeble

Doublethinker
Nov 19, 2008
I've certainly thought of it, but in Dragon's Age, it seems you get their stuff when they disappear/die. I played all the starting stories through (just to see) and in the first one or two I thought about the fact that I lost some party members stuff --- but then (maybe it was the dwarf common) I realized that I had it in my inventory --- that the game had given it to me.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Shamus, I can confirm that you are NOT the only person that does this. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WutaiTheft]

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Back when I played Dungeon Siege. I would free Merik the mage from the Ice Caves, accept him into my party, strip him of all his kick-ass gear and dump him again, laughing at his angry outburst at me. Then give his good gear to Andiemus further along the way, who is way better than Merik anyway.