Stolen Pixels #148: Dragon Aged

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #148: Dragon Aged

If it's wrong to find someone's grandmother hot, then Dragon Age doesn't want to be right.

Read Full Article

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
*Breaths a huge sigh of relief*

And I was afrad that I was the only one who thought Wynne was hot. I would definitely have preferred her over my other 3 options to unleash my toothpaste of love in.

New DLC idea, EA...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
"What have you done to grandma Wynne? You fiend, I'll have your head on a pike set on display in Denerim!!!111oneoneone" - A really angry mage

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
o.o

I gave her this outfit once, but it fucking ruined her, so I switched back to the senior enchanter robes. At least that way I can convince myself she is old!

Areck

Oct 23, 2009
Pararaptor said:
I remember seeing a Fallout 3 mod that made every woman in the game nude, but came with the option of putting bags over the heads of the old ones.
Laughed hard at that one.
Areck said:
funny. Screw logic, this is DnD people.
That was Dragon Age: Origins. Not Dungeons & Dragons.
[sub]Or am I just a massive noob?[/sub]
Dungeons and Dragons can be described as a type of rpg, no idea if Dragon age is using any rule sets but it was made by Bioware so it probably is.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I thought you were talking about the grandmother of Morrigan's. She was a lot hotter than Wynn from where I was standing.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Areck said:
Dungeons and Dragons can be described as a type of rpg, no idea if Dragon age is using any rule sets but it was made by Bioware so it probably is.
It's not. Like Mass Effect, it's their own unique property.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Dragonage borrows sooo hevily from fantasy novels (and not just tolkein) I figured they'd make it easy to do old mages. in WoT magic users barely age once they start using magic the biggest sign that they are old is grey hair. hence they imply this and make Wynne with white hair and an old voice on the same body as every other woman in the game.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
I also see that the game somewhat follows the train of thought that the less armour a female character wears, the more protected she is.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Nevyrmoore said:
I also see that the game somewhat follows the train of thought that the less armour a female character wears, the more protected she is.
To be fair, protection is usually reasonably matched to coverage. Mage robes usually don't offer any protection at all though.

The main exception I've seen is the female Daelish Elven armor, which isn't far off from a leather tube top and a skirt.

No chainmail bikini's though.

PiCroft

He who waits behind the wall
Mar 12, 2009
I just looked up the voice actor list

Holy shit, I had no idea Tim Curry was in it, nor Simon Templeman, nor Claudia Black.

I am going to buy it, play it, and wait till Loghain starts talking before allowing myself to be mesmerised by his awesome voice.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Virgil said:
Nevyrmoore said:
To be fair, protection is usually reasonably matched to coverage. Mage robes usually don't offer any protection at all though.

The main exception I've seen is the female Daelish Elven armor, which isn't far off from a leather tube top and a skirt.

No chainmail bikini's though.
Good to hear. It always annoys me when someone thinks that their idea of female armour is something stupidly skimpy.

Taellosse

Dec 4, 2009
PiCroft said:

Holy shit, I had no idea Tim Curry was in it, nor Simon Templeman, nor Claudia Black.

I am going to buy it, play it, and wait till Loghain starts talking before allowing myself to be mesmerised by his awesome voice.
Yeah, Tim Curry plays one of the supporting bad guys (if you're after maximum face-time for him, play the human noble background). Simon Templeman also does a number of other voices than Loghain's, mostly of minor supporting characters. He voices a couple of different nameless Tranquil in various locations, and a few others here and there. Only Loghain sounds very much like Kaine, though.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wynne is a clear case of "Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandmaWhatMassiveHotnessYouHave]. I for one regret not having her as one of the romance options. Granted, it's somewhat forgiven by having Claudia Black as a romance, but still...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Taellosse said:
PiCroft said:

Yeah, Tim Curry plays one of the supporting bad guys (if you're after maximum face-time for him, play the human noble background). Simon Templeman also does a number of other voices than Loghain's, mostly of minor supporting characters. He voices a couple of different nameless Tranquil in various locations, and a few others here and there. Only Loghain sounds very much like Kaine, though.
And when you see "very much", read that as "exactly like Kain", because I'm reasonably certain Templeman's Kain voice is just his normal one (or so all the various bit characters he's voiced in other Bioware RPGs would seem to indicate, given they also sounded exactly like Kain).

It made an excellent game just that much more awesome when I first noticed that (somehow I didn't pick it up via the trailers).