Stolen Pixels #148: Dragon Aged

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Ell Jay said:
Chalk that up as one more thing KOTOR 2 got right: an old-looking old woman. Of course, presentation as such was expedited by the fact you could NOT change her outfit no matter what...
KotoR 2 had issues when it came to the female bodies. I think there were only three body types that changed depending on the outfit they wore. The Exile which shared the same model as Mira, the Handmaiden who had the most "Babe"-like body, Visas whose outfit would change with Armors but not with Robes and Kriea who's outfit never changed but could only wear Robes and no armors.

Don't even get me started Bao-Dur and his "Unable to wear any force-sensitive armor or Robes due to his cybernetic arm" which made no sense.

I liked KotoR 2, I hated that it was so unpolished and half-finishied.

As a side note did you notice in Mass Effect all of the "Human" female bodies had exactly the same figure and a very slim one at that? Graned it also looked like everyone wore clothes and armor that looked spray painted on, but that's another rant.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
PiCroft said:
Jaranja said:
PiCroft said:
I just looked up the voice actor list

Holy shit, I had no idea Tim Curry was in it, nor Simon Templeman, nor Claudia Black.

I am going to buy it, play it, and wait till Loghain starts talking before allowing myself to be mesmerised by his awesome voice.
Too bad he's a massive dick.
That's okay. If I were gay, Simon Templeman would be the only man in the world I would hypothetically marry, besides Michael Bell.
If I was gay, I would slap fight duel you for their hand(s)...

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
Deathlyphil said:
quiet_samurai said:
Oh I totally wished Wynn could have been an achievable romance. I tried, but alas... not successful. It's cool though, I totally 2 timed Morrigen and Lilliana.

also

Did anyone right away pin Loghain as the bad guy when you met him in the beginning? Like the moment he showed his face.
Yes. Or at least I knew that something was going to happen and it wasn't going to be good...
Same here. He was presented as a villain from the get-go. Classic evil eyes and demeanor.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Most characters of any race and gender use a generic body type. If one plays First Enchanter Irving in the Fade, one might try taking off his robes to see the Kevin Sorbo as Hercules thing he has going on underneath them.

Why is it that only the 'Kents' and the barkeep in Redcliffe have unique bodies?
Elder Scrolls 4 has the exact same problem (if you see it as a problem). The only body in swords-and-sorcery games settings seems to be the 'fit/active' one. That seems like a horrible over-sight when gamemakers know that people like making fragile squishy wizards and other non-Doc Samson type thinking heroes in those very same settings.

It looks like that little over-the-top crime farce, Saint's Row 2, still holds the crown for best character customization of this console generation.

Oh well, maybe some PC modder will get this squared away.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
So Shamus would prefer the appropriate body of a...60 year-old to go along with that robe?
I'm glad it's the way it is.

thrubeingcool13

Sep 28, 2009
Russian_Assassin said:
o.o

I gave her this outfit once, but it fucking ruined her, so I switched back to the senior enchanter robes. At least that way I can convince myself she is old!
Yes! Same thing with me.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Games like this are all about illusion anyway.

- Make yourself 'believe' your teammates are as complex as real people.
- Make yourself believe Ferelden is a 'whole' world, not just a few locations with lines drawn between them.
- Make yourself believe your elf has a different character when he/she grew up in the woods than your dwarf who grew up as a prince in an underground city.

Of course, you can't make yourself really believe this kind of stuff, not when your mentally healthy that is, but when you're in the middle of the game you wíll 'forget' everything that gets you out of the game. That's what makes games like this fun.

Not that it's not funny to think about something like this when you're done with the game, of course.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
chickenlord said:
lols, yeah same story in oblivion as well =P, when will videogame designers realize that not every female charater in a game has to be a super model...just f-ing make a normal old lady for cryin out loud!
Really? I thought EVERYONE in oblivion was ugly. The hell is with elves and that stupid haircut? You know the one. They have their hair greased back so you can see as much of their forehead as possible. Is the size of your forehead some kind of sign of stature in Tamriel?

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
feather240 said:
chickenlord said:
lols, yeah same story in oblivion as well =P, when will videogame designers realize that not every female charater in a game has to be a super model...just f-ing make a normal old lady for cryin out loud!
Really? I thought EVERYONE in oblivion was ugly. The hell is with elves and that stupid haircut? You know the one. They have their hair greased back so you can see as much of their forehead as possible. Is the size of your forehead some kind of sign of stature in Tamriel?
possibly... =P yeah, if/when they make 5 i hope they make that people better looking...

OrionKurnous

Sep 5, 2009
Pretty much all of the females had, essentially, the same body. I think I saw, like, one over-weight woman.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Ah the hilariousness of being able to age the face but not the stock body...

Funny...she always complained about being old...then give her better armor and she's young again...

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
OrionKurnous said:
Pretty much all of the females had, essentially, the same body. I think I saw, like, one over-weight woman.
The males all have the same body as well. The Ferelden equivalents of Ma and Pa Kent, Lloyd and maybe the BroodMother if she even counts are the only chubby people that I saw in the game and all three of the humans in that group are bit parts while the other is a one-time deal monster.
Oblivion, the GodFather, Mass Effect and plenty other games with character customization do this, as pointed out previously.
Is this a good reason not to use the same random character generator on all of the characters to save on disk space or a minor gripe?

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
PiCroft said:
I just looked up the voice actor list

Holy shit, I had no idea Tim Curry was in it, nor Simon Templeman, nor Claudia Black.

I am going to buy it, play it, and wait till Loghain starts talking before allowing myself to be mesmerised by his awesome voice.
Seriously. The voice acting is excellent in Dragon Age. It's probably sad that I think it's the first RPG I've ever played that actually has authentic english dialect, over quite a few regions in fact.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Angerwing said:
Zevran the Assassin tends to agree with this.

Wynne: Zevran, I'm old enough to be your grandmother!
Zevran: You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Then 2 hours later he started hitting on my male dwarf.
Look at the achievments also, you can shag Alistar. EWWWW.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ah well, Must mean the ancient times had a better health program...sayung that she is a healer..

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Angerwing said:
Zevran the Assassin tends to agree with this.

Wynne: Zevran, I'm old enough to be your grandmother!
Zevran: You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Then 2 hours later he started hitting on my male dwarf.
Look at the achievments also, you can shag Alistar. EWWWW.
To be fair, you DO have to play as a female to get that achievement.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
too bad you cant throw morrigans robes on her xD
but that would just be horrible.. in a good way?

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Raithnor said:
I liked KotoR 2, I hated that it was so unpolished and half-finished.
I don't think I can put it any better than this (paraphrased) quote I once saw posted in another forum: "KOTOR 2 is like my ex-girlfriend. I just want to love it so much but it just keeps hurting me so badly."