Stolen Pixels #174: Better Than Aquaman

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
You fail to understand the importance of giving people rides.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
While Wayne and Stark have all the super powers of a bag of peanuts, at least stark decided to create a suit of armor that basically makes him Superman. batman's cool, but for him to pull the weight that other superheros do he has to be able to create gadgets that defy logic with the speed he makes them.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
pfloriani said:
paragon1 said:
Maybe if they went with God-level pre-Crisis Superman, but there would be at least some if they tone down his powers just a tad. Or maybe the challenge could be a "not shattering the earth into cosmic dust everytime you fart" time situation?
"Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex"-themed h-game?
Ha! No, like a "Game Over if your punch ever misses game".

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If they ever fought, I'd put my money on the Batman.

Kryptonite Batarangs. You KNOW he has them.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Fool!
Batman has the mighty power of precognition! He has exactly the right tools to deal with any given situation at any time. Who would win a fight between Batman and Superman? Batman of course! He would just so happen to be carrying kryptonite spray or perhaps a superhero repellent stick, or something else equally convienient.
Also, he can breathe in space.

Dec 14, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Daystar Clarion said:
sexylori33 said:
(Desperate spam attempt. With a male profile avatar, no less.)
My banhammer senses are tingling.
Don't you mean... (dramatic pause)... BAThammer?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
No, just... no.

You're bad and you should feel bad.
Go sit in the corner and think about how you have permanately damaged the internet with that horrible joke.

headbanger97

Mar 3, 2010
Batman is the better superhero. In a fight between the two Batman wins because he has a cryptonite ring.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hehehe... I wonder if Batman gets this a lot. I mean, no offense to the DK here but if I'm being attacked by a gang who wish to mug and kill me, I'd prefer Supes over Wayne any day.
paragon1 said:
And yet they still haven't made a good Superman game. Why do you suppose that is?
What about Superman 64? That game was great! It was a... a...

Okay, I can't say that with a straight face. My stepbrother owned that game and even though I was 10 and still enjoyed crappy kid-themed TV shows and movies, I still knew I was in the presence of crap!

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
What superman's creators with thinking:

"Hmm lets create a super hero. What powers should we give him? How 'bout super speed? Super flight? Super strength? Laser vision? Freeze breath? How bout we give him all of them and just call him Superman...But he needs a weakness. How about some really rare pieces of rock."

Personally i think superman is just lame. So lame. I mean freeze breath and heat/laser vision? all powered by the radiation of a red sun? WTF? I'm not saying that superheros should get their powers from realistic sources (spiderman bit by a spider during a radiation experiment and Fantastic 4 from cosmic radiation). But Superman is so LAME. I think the ratings of the last superman movie would agree with me too.

pfloriani

Jul 24, 2009
Actually, when Superman was created back in the 1930's, he was much less powerful. His powers were basically strength, speed, and toughness, all to a considerably smaller degree than he has now; no flight, no vision powers or super breath. The other powers (and the various power boosts he has received over the years), and the whole kryptonite thing, came later.

Also, remember that this was new territory that Siegel and Shuster were exploring; Superman was the first superhero, depending on how you define it. There's been a lot of evolution and traditions that have developed since then.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Cash, you're cruising for an artificial heart in addition to that hook hand.

(Cash = the guard, for the uninformed, go read "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth".)

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Well, I like what they've done with Batman (at least in terms of pitting his abilities against villains), giving him good planning skills, Charles Atlus' Superpower as well as a heap of weapons to fight crime.

I'm not quite as sold on making Superman more mortal though. What's wrong with being overpowered? I can type "~tgm" in Oblivion and still have heaps of fun.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Superman may have been a more powerful hero, but Batman had much better writing.

Seriously. I recently read a back issue of Supergirl. That was the most horrible thing I have ever read that wasn't good because it was horrible. The side stories about Prez (a kind of nerdy United States President) and others were even worse.

The message of the comic was very simple and not very demonstrative: the kid President, who wanted to restrict gun use by law, learned that love and peace "won't solve everything" (not very good in hindsight, because war and hatred have worked out SO well for the second-most powerful nation in the world). The anti-hippy sentiment was strong in the Prez story, as the DC comics of that era were very conservative in message... and Superman was probably the most obviously conservative.

At least Batman didn't avoid the fact that being a vigilante means that you may become as bad as the villains. I like that realist side to the comics.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
This got me thinking, seeing how all of batmans powers comes from his gear, wouldn't the dreaded aquaman (or submariner, theres 2 lame heroes who fights underwater crime) be stronge rthan batman, seeing as he could just get the same gadgets, and still have the added bonus of aquatic powers?

ldbmikey86

Feb 11, 2009
paragon1 said:
warbaloon said:
paragon1 said:
And yet they still haven't made a good Superman game. Why do you suppose that is?
No challenge
Maybe if they went with God-level pre-Crisis Superman, but there would be at least some if they tone down his powers just a tad. Or maybe the challenge could be a "not shattering the earth into cosmic dust everytime you fart" time situation?
no, because story drives games for most. The challenge should be made by the villains. And good villains make for good superheroes which, in turn, should make for a good game's foundation. Superman is already at a loss for that. His villains suckass. And don't gimme that kevin spacey lex luthor "wrong!" business either. Superman is just flat-out horrible, and nothing will save him.