Stolen Pixels #174: Better Than Aquaman

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
ldbmikey86 said:
paragon1 said:
warbaloon said:
paragon1 said:
And yet they still haven't made a good Superman game. Why do you suppose that is?
No challenge
Maybe if they went with God-level pre-Crisis Superman, but there would be at least some if they tone down his powers just a tad. Or maybe the challenge could be a "not shattering the earth into cosmic dust everytime you fart" time situation?
no, because story drives games for most. The challenge should be made by the villains. And good villains make for good superheroes which, in turn, should make for a good game's foundation. Superman is already at a loss for that. His villains suckass. And don't gimme that kevin spacey lex luthor "wrong!" business either. Superman is just flat-out horrible, and nothing will save him.
Whoah there guy. Calm the fuck down.
Two things: First, that movie sucked. Second, Superman doesn't suck, and I think the fact that he's one of the oldest characters in fiction still being made backs me up on that.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
AvsJoe said:
Hehehe... I wonder if Batman gets this a lot. I mean, no offense to the DK here but if I'm being attacked by a gang who wish to mug and kill me, I'd prefer Supes over Wayne any day.
paragon1 said:
And yet they still haven't made a good Superman game. Why do you suppose that is?
What about Superman 64? That game was great! It was a... a...

Okay, I can't say that with a straight face. My stepbrother owned that game and even though I was 10 and still enjoyed crappy kid-themed TV shows and movies, I still knew I was in the presence of crap!
Yeah, it takes an extra special kind of crap to dissatisfy a ten year old.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Of course, Batman wouldn't stand a chance.
But he's still infinitely more badass and relatable, so he's the number one superhero of Evar.
(for me)

Although I kinda wish Alex Mercer was just a superpowered guy with a nice jacket who wasn't a complete asshole and didn't eat people just for the hell of it.

RemoteControlRox

Aug 24, 2009
The Batman vs. Superman debate seems to be more of a platform for seeing which character you like opposed to the other.

But! Yeah. Batman is easier to relate to because he's more human and blah blah blah... this has been covered a few times at this point.

I do agree with the comment about Superman having bad villains, though. But maybe that's because I tend to not read superhero comics--the plots I've heard about are just ridiculous. With that in mind: the only villain Supes had that I ever had any interest in was Live Wire, which was probably because she was voiced by Lori Petty and had an episode with Harley Quinn. In the Batman animated series. Not to say that Batman didn't have some odd ones. Baby Doll? What on earth was that? Other than kinda creepy, I mean.

...Geez, I've been rambling on for way too long about this, huh?

Tunahead

May 29, 2009
I don't know what you're all talking about, Batman has the greatest superpower of all.

Money.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Ah... another Superman is better than Batman thread. ... Although to be fair, this is a balanced one. Really liked that video link someone posted above. I might disagree, but it was still funny.

For me, the quintessential difference is the worlds the two inhabit.
Superman is lovely sci-fi lite Utopian Metropolis, Gotham being the more brutally realistic, and yes, slightly dystopian, vision of the urban landscape. Superman cannot work as a story in Gotham, and Batman cannot work Metropolis.

For me, personally, the matter was settled in The Dark Knight Returns. Say what you like about Miller, or Batman, that show down rocked. I'd say more, but I'm conscious of spoilers.

Personally, I kind of dislike Superman. I don't hate the character, but it's not like he ever has to push himself, is it?
Batman planned, and planned, and planned that showdown in Crime Alley, whereas Supes just showed up expecting everyone to behave like gentlemen and for Batman to allow him to crush his skull/defeat him and incarcerate him. For me, he's extremely limited as a character, although occasionally something like Red Sun will come out and entertain and challenge me.

To be honest, Superman is way too much the poster boy of "The American way" (whatever that's supposed to really mean) whereas Batman's more grounded genuinely more interesting dark avenger character trait make him far more satisfying to read about than an omnipotent man in spandex.

Story and character are always more interesting than the ability to flash fry an egg by looking at it. Superman? Gimmickman would work better.