Stolen Pixels #180: Now Leaving City 17

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
It seems like just yesterday I was causing an unstable meltdown of the dark-matter transporter he was occupying and tearing him into itty-bitty sub-particles.

RIP.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
RIP Robert Culp/Dr. Breen

You will be missed. I was playying HL2 through for old times sake when I heard the news. I will get back to finishing it and pay more respect for Dr Breen when I face him. He was such a good character.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Aaaaaaaw, now I'm sad :(
R.I.P. Culp, we will never forget your great voice acting talent :'(

Ramen n' MaltLiquor

Jan 20, 2010
Chalk it up to the mid-morning beers I've indulged in, but I just shed a tear for a man I only know from one role. R.I.P. Dr Breen

On a related note I had seen that Looney Tunes print years ago and it elicited the same response.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I knew that Shamus was going to do something for the late Mr. Culp but this is more than I expected. RIP.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
damn he was the best in my opinion, even though most of the characters didn't have that much important dialouge.

illiterate

Sep 10, 2008
I was honestly a bit shocked that the "Steve" character in irregularwebcomic.net continued after we lost the real version. I think it's better to keep him in there.. Those who remember him fondly will be reminded, and those who don't care will probably continue not to care.

Me, I still haven't played those games. Need to find some time to do so.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Classy touch, Shamus. And I'm glad to see someone else who remembers that awesome show, to which Robert Culp made no small contribution. I know, though, that most of the people here will remember him primarily as Dr. Breen from Half-Life 2- and I'm okay with that, because Culp made Wallace Breen a nuanced, conflicted villain, ever striving to convince himself that he was doing the right thing by humanity even as he oversaw its decline towards extinction. I at once hated Breen outright, and understood just why he was doing what he was doing.

Half of that incredible character was Valve's excellent face-modeling technology; the other half was all Robert Culp. We'll not see his like again.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I still want one of those "Speechless" prints for Mel Blanc. The man was one of my heroes as a child, him among others. I've got a few memorials pictures around, like a print of the Penny Arcade "Rolling in His Grave" comic, for Gary Gygax. I can't say I knew enough of Culp to memorialize him, but I will say that he will be missed.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Very fitting Shamus. I tip my hat to you.
Lono Shrugged said:
Please don't retire After Curfew, If anything it is a mark of respect to keep it going.

Although a Glados hosted fill in show would be great for a few months....
I can just see her hanging down behind the desk, teasing guests with cake. That would be sweet. Dr. Breen does need some time to mourn.
Otterpoet said:
O_O I knew Culp passed away, but why did I never make the connection with Breen. Usually I'm great at recognizing voices :(
It took me a couple passes through Half Life 2 before I made the connection. It had been ages since I had heard his wonderful voice. Once I made the connection I felt it my duty to go out and get the first season of The Greatest American Hero. Good memories. I'd watch I Spy but I can't wrap my head around Bill Cosby playing a serious role.

RIP Mr. Culp. Your contributions are legendary.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot"

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
HL2 had some excellent voice acting, and Breen was one of the best acted characters. He's a character that feels surprisingly human despite destroying humanity. Robert Culp, you will be missed.