Stolen Pixels #180: Now Leaving City 17

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
He as gone to a better place, a host body.

Great men may die but their works are eternal, they never truely leave us, they just stop working.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
i am going to play half-life again just for this.

i salute you culp.for making such a fantastic voice and characer of breen.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Kalezian said:
Aurora219 said:
/Salute

/21 Guns
its fairly insulting to use a Green Day song as a /[anything].
Uh.. I wasn't quoting Green Day. I don't even really listen to them. It's just the standard military send off, with honours. No need to start playing association games with it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'd say something witty and funny but theres just no call for it, we lost a great actor/voice actor..... if Breen was ever to be in any future Half Life games/Half Life universe games well he isn't now, it's sad

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I know it's been said plenty of times, but there is no one else who could voice Dr. Breen and bring out the character that well.

Shame that the papers don't mention anything about that role.

mbourgon

Feb 11, 2010
Stunned that nobody mentioned I Spy, where he costarred with Bill Cosby. A groundbreaking TV show, since Cosby was the first African-American lead on TV, with Cosby's character being the smarter of the two. 80's kids remember him from Greatest American Hero; I actually didn't know he was Breen.

Well worth checking out if you haven't seen (or heard) of it. It's aged surprisingly well. Skip the movie with Eddie Murphy; it takes all the good points and stuffs them under a couch.

MotenaiRonin

Aug 28, 2009
Shamus, thank your lucky stars your last Breen comic wasn't The Best Webcomic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7279-Stolen-Pixels-176-The-Best-Webcomic]

and that your last Breen comic at least brought him comfortably back into his own universe (so long as a Portal Halflife cross-over is considered canonical universe mcguffin whatever)

Alls well that ends well.

May ye find the peaceful world ye thought you negotiated for with the Combine in the after life Breen / Culp.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Most gamers knew him as Dr. Breen, but I grew up thinking of him as "That Jerkface FBI Guy" on the early 80's show The Greatest American Hero. (I was 10 when it premiered, and I adored the show.)
I, too, first saw him in this show (I also was 10) and I remember learning the word "scenario" from him (I'll have to watch the series one of these days to see how often he actually said the word. I remember it being rather frequently.) Only later on in life would I discover the great mid-60's TV show "I, Spy" with Culp and Bill Cosby.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
A really powerful one, Shamus.
Oh, and it's nice to know that some people remember him for something other than being Doctor Breen.
R.I.P., Robert Culp.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
TheFacelessOne said:
R.I.P.

(Begins twenty Resonance Casacades in his honor)
Oh shi-

But still, it's a shame. Rest in peace, you magnificent man.

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
Dr. breen was my favorite charicter in HL2, sure he may have been doing some things pepole didint agree with, such as surpressing human reproduction, but he was just too loveable to hate!

i think it was mainly becuse of his beard. my dad has a beard like his (and Gordans) so i feel great respect for Breen and Gordan.

RIP Culp,

RIP Breen.

but theres still hope! perhaps he was allready done doing his voice-over parts for breens return in episode 3!