Stolen Pixels #203: While You Were Sleeping

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Doesn't halo 2 start with you getting out of cryogenic sleep only to have your space station under attack?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I don't recall Cerberus being a terrorist organization so the Mass Effect 2 panel is incorrect. they never do anything terrorist like except fight for humanity.

Kennian

Apr 20, 2009
Final fantasy 3/6 is the worst I can think of... Wake up brainwashed... Then 5 minutes later wake up again with amnisia and soldiers trying to kill you... Poor terra! Then mid game Celes wakes up from a coma after the end of the world.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Halo CE: woken from suspended animation because the Pillar of Autumn is under attack.
Halo 2: The Covenant interrupt your medal ceremony, which is ok because you didn't want to be there.
Halo 3: You fall from space and the UNSC find your body in the jungle. Which then wakes up.
Halo ODST: You crash your drop pod and wake up several hours AFTER everything in the story has already happened, and spend a few hours trying to figure out what went on while you were snoozing.

Presumably in Halo Reach you will crash your ship into the final boss during the opening cutscene, pass out for a thousand years, then wake up under a statue of yourself in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. When then blows up.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Dragon Age (human noble) - you wake up in your underwear during an attack. It doesn't have the amnesia issue, but it does cover the opening of chests and the equipping of armour and weapons...

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Well, this isn't a game but it predates most of those games-

The anime Blue Gender started off this way.
So did most of the Alien movies.
I think one could make the argument that FFX sortof started off this way. In the 'it was all a dream' sense. No underwear though.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
In "The Experiment," a little known game out of what i believe was a UK developer, the main char. awakes to a seriously messed up scientific installation. Of course, the player is monitoring the charachter from behind a security camera, but since you don't know what the hell is going on either, it is basically the same thing.

Poke_Freak

Paid for this custom title
Sep 14, 2008
Breath of Fire.
Even before you get to the first scene where you wake up to see that the shit has hit the fan your DREAMS are telling you to wake up because, well, because the shit has hit the fan.

The first thing you see after starting a new game, even before you see the main character are the words:
"Wake up warrior!
Disaster has struck!"

You don't get more "wake up to a calamity" than that.

oden636

Jun 15, 2009
probably already said but Morrowind, u wake up and... "Im on a boat!!!".
Halo: CE wake up and... "Im on a spaceship, Its under attack!!!".
Halo 3 wake up and... "Im in a crater!!!".
Halo: ODST wake up and... "Im in a sparcly decorated office apartment!!!".

I like that bungie stick to the same patern