Stolen Pixels #220: Guilt Wars 2

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Let's just hope that they can pull it off, eh?
We can but hope.

I did play Guild War factions, but I didn't really get into it that well.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
dfcrackhead said:
A MMO without grind is less likely than an honest lawyer turned politician in a sexless marriage(oh yeah, a decent analogy, finally!)

Also, I never played Guild Wars, I usually only play completely f2p mmos like Maplestory and Perfect World. But maybe if this one turns out to be good, I might check it out
Hmmmm... I'm not sure how I should put it other than you should definitely play Guild Wars. Any one will do, though Nightfall is the most beginner friendly and has a really decent story. Their are some quests in the beginning that are slightly grindy. Such as two where you have to kill 10 of a certain type of monster, but they are mostly for the player to get the hang of the game. After the beginning, most quests and missions have no grindy aspect to them.

Also, yes that analogy has granted me respect for you good sir.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hubilub said:
Poor Shamus, he's finally given in to the hype of something.

What a weak human bei-OMGANEWBIOSHOCKGAMEISCOMINGOUTIHAVETOPREORDERRIGHTNOW!
Bioshock Infinite looks fucking amazing, shame it's not due out until 2012. When we'll all be dead.
Indeed it looks good atm, but then again almost any game "looks" good with polished trailers etc.
That robotic big daddy thing looked, the small parts we got to see atleast, awesome.

PS: Now I know where your avatar is from Onyx, that Futurama episode was on TV today :D

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I used to play Guild Wars... Had a maxxed out Dervish and Elementalist. And there is just as much darn grind as anything else. Oh sure, they make a big deal out of not having a lot of quests where you have to kill/collect a certain number of X; but instead they have vendors who only sell items for a certain number of X. Six of one, half dozen of the other. All racks up the same. Plus, since in GW, everything that happens outside of a city is in your own little instanced version of the world... most of the social aspect of any game like this goes right out the window.

When I used to play WoW, I met most of my friends by randomly helping out in fights that I'd come across while exploring. Hmm, you seem pretty hurt, have a free heal. Drive by buffing, and much fun was had. But GW, you're either in your own instance, or in a city chock full of people, with so much spam chat you couldn't carry on a conversation outside of PMs if you tried.

Edit:

Not to mention that the end game content is entirely grind based. If you want to purchase any of the end-game items you have to run the missions dozens of times. Uggg. That's why I uninstalled the game.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hubilub said:
Poor Shamus, he's finally given in to the hype of something.

What a weak human bei-OMGANEWBIOSHOCKGAMEISCOMINGOUTIHAVETOPREORDERRIGHTNOW!
Bioshock Infinite looks fucking amazing, shame it's not due out until 2012. When we'll all be dead.
If it comes out in Q1 or 2, we might have a few months to savor it...
Anywhoozle, GW2 looks orgasmagical.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Guild Wars is and will always be my MMO.
Then would it surprise you to know that it's not an MMO?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/608/608675p1.html
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/guildwars/review.html
http://www.gamesxtreme.net/pc/game/guild-wars/review.html

It's creators dubbed it a "CORPG," or "Competitive Online Roleplaying Game." The distinciton is subtle, but it's there. Whether or not GW2 will be a true MMO, I don't know, I haven't been paying that much attention to it.

Doug said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
We can but hope.

Playing Factions was probably the problem; it's widely accepted as the worst GW had to offer.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
LitleWaffle said:
dfcrackhead said:
A MMO without grind is less likely than an honest lawyer turned politician in a sexless marriage(oh yeah, a decent analogy, finally!)

Also, I never played Guild Wars, I usually only play completely f2p mmos like Maplestory and Perfect World. But maybe if this one turns out to be good, I might check it out
Hmmmm... I'm not sure how I should put it other than you should definitely play Guild Wars. Any one will do, though Nightfall is the most beginner friendly and has a really decent story. Their are some quests in the beginning that are slightly grindy. Such as two where you have to kill 10 of a certain type of monster, but they are mostly for the player to get the hang of the game. After the beginning, most quests and missions have no grindy aspect to them.

Also, yes that analogy has granted me respect for you good sir.
You think killing 10 is grindy? I've done quests that required me to collect well over 1000 of one items that isn't always dropped when you kill a monster and I've recently been killing this one monster over and over again trying to grind my way to 10 million of the in game money(each kill gets >250, you do the math, I've made 2 mil already)

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
cursedseishi said:
KaiRai said:
That was awesome. "They will collect their dead in real time, and hold funeral comforting the widows, and swear vengance on YOU, the player!"

Imagine if a game did that? Be kind of crazy. I hope you've given game developers an idea that snowballs here Seamus.
Dude, that would be awesome... Hell it would encourage me just to go out and slaughter every male enemy I see. That way I'll feel warm and fuzzy inside each night, knowing some virtual lass is sobbing over her dead npc husband, and their kids swearing revenge. Then you know what I'll do? I'll run into the village next day, start /slap'ping and /flirt'ing the widow, and /laugh at the kid!
Or, alternatively, you could go and ruin a genuine funeral ceremony in an MMO:

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Isn't that exaclty what Tabula Rasa promise? And pretty much ever MMO out there says to achieve: less grind?

I'll believe it when I see it...

GW1 was pretty good though, imho.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Blackbird71 said:
Doug said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
We can but hope.

Playing Factions was probably the problem; it's widely accepted as the worst GW had to offer.
Possibly. Either way, I'm strongly tempted to buy GW2 - after all, even if it turns out to be a pile of horse droppings, its only a 1 time loss.

BarGamer

Jul 4, 2009
De Ronneman said:
Isn't that exaclty what Tabula Rasa promise?
Yeah, having played TR way back when, I do worry about "Dynamic Event Burnout." Then again, part of TR's problem was that you couldn't invest in skills without exploring every nook and cranny of the world, while some beasty was trying its best to bash your head in. Also, since the baddies took over towns, there was really no choice BUT to fight-fight-fight constantly. No story, no humor, no plot, no real tactics, it was basically a FPS masquerading as an RPG.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
WANT.

I mean, like really. There has never been a game I've wanted to succeed more than this.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I fucking love Daniel Dociu. That guy is awesome.

Also, Father Grigori's face was based on his.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
any sevs with this kind of attitude should make games that no matter what you prefer you will enjoy. I mean some of us hate middleage-based fiction and all of that fairytale/fantasy see as way too childish, but at least this game deserves a try after someone pirates it. I don't have cash to pay for games. I played few such amodern games as child, but this could be the one more I could bear.