Stolen Pixels #225: Public Service Announcement

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Brown and gray worlds? Fine, as long as it's used properly and the world is worth exploring, then the world color doesn't matter.

Enemies that blend into the gray and brown world? No excuses.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
hansari said:
Perhaps now is the time to tap our Fuchsia reserves...
Ooh. Then Bayonetta can have purple boobs!

No seriously, Bayonetta was far from brown, I just wanted to say that ^_^

I agree with the brown, there's more ways to make a world look post apocalyptic than making things look like they've been shit over.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I blame hippies. their rebelious free spirit atitude will games like mirrros edge, sonic colors, and jet set radio to be put in higher production
the horror THE HORROR

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I have heard that green and blue reserves are currently abundant, and the purple storages are simply overflowing! That means we should get more Earth-class forest/jungle and way more alien worlds if we want the game industry to survive this shortage of brown!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Queen Michael said:
What's wrong with using a lot of brown? Real is brown! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealIsBrown]
You utter prick. There goes my afternoon XD

challenger001

Apr 7, 2010
I admit I don't like it when there's too much brown/grey so it all goes muted, but after playing some of the more colourful tracks on WipEout HD, I do prefer the crisp white tracks with details on them. It's a fine line the developers need to make.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Lies! There is no such thing as "Brown deplation"! Its just like the global warming all lies!
[Sarcasm off]

Great comic as always and i think they have to stop with all "brown is real" thing.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It only makes sence for a realistic game to loose color IF the weather in the game is cloudy or raining, because usually in sunny days you can see more color but in cloudy days, when the sun isnt reflecting direticly in the surfaces it does affect the color. At least that is what I presume, rainy days are usually gray.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Daemascus said:
Brown... Brown never changes...
Is winner of this thread. Even if I wanted to say that.

Brown is the color of coffee, and must be purged with all the other heretics.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
PurePareidolia said:
The Original Fallout! Drink!
haha as soon as i read that i thought "drink!", then was gonna comment it :p buttt looks like not as original idea as i thought. lol

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
My favourite part is how the strip slowly got more and more surreal until we're left with glowing purple Breen... a face that seems to have been dragged from the depths of our darkest nightmares. Seriously, there is something wrong with acid-trip Breen.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Kollega said:
I have heard that green and blue reserves are currently abundant, and the purple storages are simply overflowing! That means we should get more Earth-class forest/jungle and way more alien worlds if we want the game industry to survive this shortage of brown!
Forge world in \reach used it all up.
I am sorry.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
But I like brown.
Not just brown games but brown ice cream, Brown's Brwery , Encyclopedia Brown, and Brown noise.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
Am I the only one who actually likes brown games? Brown games (Gears Of War, Fallout 1,2,3 (2D Fallouts were brown too!)) are much better looking than gray (Quake 1/2, Half-Life) games and magnitudes better than coloured nonsense (Uncharted 2 (oh god, it hurts my eyes!), Ratchet and Clank etc)!

Let it be more brown games! Personally I'd restrict game developers to use only murky colours and corresponding lighting! Oh, and obligatory pixel shading to wash out everything into single bland scene.

And I'm dead serious here - this stuff is really awesome! There are more to it than designers' tastes, of course - Gears Of War-like shading allows to hide lighting imperfections and use fewer textures (and not that high-res at that).
The second reason is that brown games aren't just brown - they are brown and dark and washed out because of their setting - such colour palette is perfect for post-nuclear or just plain dark/noir shooters (It's hard to argue that such games became very popular this generation).

I like post-nuclear setting, I like washed out palette and dim lighting, and I'm just happy that many games are like that these days. They won't be like that forever - remember Quake 1/2 age, when every shooter (and even some RPGs like Anachronox) had been trying to look like id's gray-green blockbusters. Have you seen something green and gray lately?

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
That's the first time I've lol'd in ages.

Yes, too much brown. I'm looking at you upcoming Rage. Why can't you be more like Enslaved?