Stolen Pixels #225: Public Service Announcement

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
PurePareidolia said:
The Original Fallout! Drink!

Seriously though, I do hope New Vegas fixes the brownness issue, without looking awful which is really a concern for that game.
Being a desert, there will likely be a lot of brown, but I have a feeling it will be more of the varied brown, look a bit more like an old Western in places. Though Vegas itself I should hope would be rather colourful. Either way, if there is another issue with the terrain, I imagine the mod community will step up to the plate once again.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The Fellout mod fixeds the brown in fallout:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

[image width="100%"]http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/2672-1-1233937184.jpg[/IMG]

And I can't but leave this, yet another reason PC games are superior.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Well, the games you're talking about -are- desolate wastelands. The visual style fits the mood and the setting of the game. I think we've just been having too many wastelands lately (with some still to come), and people are starting to get sick of the concept.

To alleviate the pixel problem, maybe developers should create more virtual reality, "Tron" -themed shooters for a while. You can have lots of bright, neat colors there, almost no brown at all and alot of undemanding black.
I don't think that's even really true. Have you looked around and seen all the different colors that rocks and dirt can come in? There are quite a few. I've seen some pretty amazing views with not much life in them.

It's like they're sacrificing realism to make their games uglier.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
It seems that hardly a single game in the industry looks realistic. Everyone is either brown-grey (the "hardcore" games) or way too colourful (Nintendo games).

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
ZephrC said:
I don't think that's even really true. Have you looked around and seen all the different colors that rocks and dirt can come in? There are quite a few. I've seen some pretty amazing views with not much life in them.

Yeah, but thus is the fate of fiction. Reality is always "sacrificed" in fiction to make it more interesting. Be it storywise or presentation-wise. Maybe the brown/yellowish landscapes of Fallout 3 aren't realistic, but it serves the purpose of providing a desolate, desperate atmosphere.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
ZephrC said:

Yeah, but thus is the fate of fiction. Reality is always "sacrificed" in fiction to make it more interesting. Be it storywise or presentation-wise. Maybe the brown/yellowish landscapes of Fallout 3 aren't realistic, but it serves the purpose of providing a desolate, desperate atmosphere.
True, realism is vastly overrated. These overly brown games are still ugly though.

Also, it wouldn't be so bad if it were just one or two games, but it's the big fad in the game industry right now, which is extremely irritating.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
i have an idea a game called SUPER TECHNO TIME: THE MELTING EYEBALL CRONICALS
EDIT: What do you think? will it sell?

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010

It is a terrible crime to spend so much on your graphics engine and then put so little care into what you build with it.

To this day I still make fun of Everquest 2 for doing this.

If people build an expensive, fancy rendering engine and skimp on the art direction, people will remember them for their mistakes and not for their game =p

Shroomhell

Apr 4, 2010
agreed and I have agreed for the past few years. While brown and gray are some of the most used colors they are however necessary. but damn Fallout III for being so damn like the rust on my bike. there needs to be more color! I think Fable was a good example, if only for that.

Ingenious idea for the comic with the, what is that, incrementally increasing contrast?

holographicman

Oct 6, 2009
gray/brown depletion is a SeriouS Problem!
Just think
when the last deposit of gray/brown dries up
uncreative developers will have to use the emergency stores of black
to color their fps's and tps's
and we wont be able to see ANYTHING!!!?!

on the other hand we might get some sweet sincity style games like the saboteur 0.o

Diablosinmusica

Oct 14, 2009
This is bullshit. How can you complain that camouflage plays too much a part in shooters? Go to a gallery shooter if you want bull's eyes on all of the enemies.

Maybe you have fantasies of shooting DOT workers.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
You may hate on brown, but I ask you this: Would Fallout New Vegas look better using only primary colours?

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
This reminds me of the day I discovered the contrast option is most games. Turning it to max often leads to flashbacks of Robot Unicorn Attack and that one scene from Tenacious D. "Juicy"