Stolen Pixels #229: The Tearful Goodbye

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
GOG.com pretends to disappear, doesn't really, causes Shamus to make this comic, which in turn leads to me to their website, where I bought Rainbow 6. Intriguing.

inscrutibob

Sep 27, 2010
I was mad at them, so I wrote to tell them that, and got back the weasliest "we're sorry if we upset you" (as opposed to "we're sorry we did something slimy"), so I'm still mad at them.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate them for that marketing stunt they pulled...

Just tell us that you're redesigning the fucking site!
No one would talk about it then tho. They are not a big scary publisher corporation that goes of ra swim in their cash pool every morning, they pretty much employ only ~20 people, so while the stunt was a bit of annoying i understand them. Polish gaming market is very poor compared to US/UK/Canda or even Germany.

Plus it showed how people mistake the whole idea of GOG with Steam. All the complains about "Omg i couldn't download the games i bought" is pretty silly, if you bought them you most likely downloaded them already and that's all you need to play them. You don't need to register every time you want to play, you don't need internet connection, you can copy the game on CD and go around the world with it and it still will be playable.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Keava said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate them for that marketing stunt they pulled...

Just tell us that you're redesigning the fucking site!
No one would talk about it then tho. They are not a big scary publisher corporation that goes of ra swim in their cash pool every morning, they pretty much employ only ~20 people, so while the stunt was a bit of annoying i understand them. Polish gaming market is very poor compared to US/UK/Canda or even Germany.

Plus it showed how people mistake the whole idea of GOG with Steam. All the complains about "Omg i couldn't download the games i bought" is pretty silly, if you bought them you most likely downloaded them already and that's all you need to play them. You don't need to register every time you want to play, you don't need internet connection, you can copy the game on CD and go around the world with it and it still will be playable.
I hate stem for that. I remember I bought a game I think about a year ago. I don't normally buy games for online play. I take the game home, install it, and then I'm told that I can't play it because I'm lacking an internet connection (was at my friend's apartment at the time). So I ask him neighbor if I could borrow their internet to complete the installatin and he's kind enough to allow me. I register the game, go to play it and Is till need internet.

It's why I hate steam games. Don't make me go out, buy a hard copy of the game, and then demand that I register and use an internet conenction to play the game on single player.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"Their work is akin to feeding the poor, helping the lame to walk, or punching Bobby Kotick in the happysack. I simply can't stay mad at them."

automatic medal awarded!

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
GOG already gained a fan today. I go check it out, sign up for an account and the first thing they do is give me 3 free games. Plus they have Redneck Rampage that my dad has been wanting again ever since we lost our original copy.

The only problem is now I'll have to get a credit card and go even deeper in debt.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
*go on GoG website*
*See Planescape: Torment for 10 bucks*

I LOVE THESE GUYS! I mean, I already own the game, and I still love them, just for the very fact they are making this gem of a game accessible to more people.

These are good people. You should give them your money.

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
I missed out on the event when it happened, and came back to a redesigned site layout.. not bad, not bad....

.... Give us System Shock 2, and I'll be even happier to pretend your 'whatever' was effective at gaining publicity. ;D