Stolen Pixels #231: The History of Civilization, Part 2

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I can only run DX9 (I think it's the fog of war that lags my video in DX10/11) and it hasn't crashed on me yet.

I'm in the I prefer Civ4 camp, though I'll continue to play 5 and hope for the best.

cdennett

Universal Constant
Jan 14, 2010
I changed my auto-save to every 2 turns (add keep 20) to counteract the somewhat frequent crashing. It's not enough to make me stop playing, but yeah, they should fix that.

And yes, the one-more-turn aspect of this games means I get far less sleep than I should...

cdennett

Universal Constant
Jan 14, 2010
Oh and I should say, these Civ5 vs. Civ4 arguments remind me very much of D&D 3rd edition vs. 4th edition. Very entertaining.

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
That was the best dis of internet bozos I've ever read.

Also, my crashing problems vanished entirely after updating my video card driver.

starlight2098

Jul 19, 2008
I'm going to go ahead and say that Civ 4 was probably the better game. That said, Civ 5 is still excellent and I've been playing it almost non stop for two weeks. The City states are a good gameplay driving force and the combat system seems pretty good.

Really should play Civ 3 at some point.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The Ambrosian said:
Slighty off topic, but would you say Civ is more engaging online?
I've never had the urge to play online on a civ game...
Its not for me, certainly. MP in civ seems like it just doesn't fit the spirit of the game. The most laughable was when I saw someone insult another player, and then say "well when you play a real game-- a duel on a mirrormap-- you'll see how much of a noob you are"

Well, playing civ games between two empires on mirror maps entirely eliminates whole facets of the game. If I want to have a well-defined multiplayer experience, I'll play starcraft or the like. If i want to play an empire management simulation, i'll play civ.

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
I'm so happy that the crashing happens to other people. Not because I enjoy other peoples dismay but because I thought my computer was dieing a slow death and couldn't handle the game for that long. My faith is restored!