Stolen Pixels #242: Welcome to Town!

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Kwil said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
fanklok said:
But why did you quote me with something I didn't say, and stop quoting glados.
LAWL, whoops....mistake on my part, that was meant to be to Kwil. *blush*

Kwil said:
Any game designers out there -- READ THAT STORY.. then get inspired to make something like it!
Play Portal
Oh please. Don't get me wrong, Portal's a fine game, but it doesn't have anywhere near that level of twist. It starts off with you vs. malevolence and ends that way. There's no point in the game where you think life is fine and dandy. No way you ever even have the option to ignore the evil. Not to mention it's nowhere near as dark. Burning a companion cube vs.
your only friend committing suicide to save you from his wife driven insane through cancer and this transformation who is now mutilating children to survive
just doesn't compare for levels of disturbing.
Portal doesn't start with you vs. malevolence. There is absolutely no reason to assume that GLaDOS is evil, unless you've been brainwashed by every other film and game before ever. GLaDOS helps you, gives hints, complements you, and slowly becomes more and more disjointed and disturbing up to the point that she shoves you into a fire. I for one didn't see it coming. The attempted murder, that is. It had become clear that all was not well, but the actual murder was still unexpected. Portal starts out as a quirky puzzle game and slowly becomes a fight to survive against an insane AI.

Xzienne

Nov 2, 2010
I have a problem with the assertion that Gary Oak is an asshole villain. Yeah, he's a bit of a dick for the first season, but even as early as season two he's a more level-headed, respectful and intelligent character than Ash is by miles.

Sorry about the fanboy rant, but I just marathoned 11 1/2 seasons of pokemon, I'm a little wired.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Swaki said:
how does "fool" rimes with "do", i have been trying to say it out loud in every accent i could imagine, and unless they pronounce it "dool" where samus lives i dont get it.

if someone got a audio file where someone gets it to rime i would greatly appreciate it.
Indirec rhymes are a staple of poetry.

To the topic, I never thought of him that way, but yeah. EVIL.

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
I see nothing wrong with Tom Nook. Hell, unlike the VGCats comic, he can't really come after you if you don't pay. Outside the first house, it's always your choice in the end to upgrade and the game itself is based solely on collecting things from your environment that are unowned. Consider that the other merchant, Red, will fraud you occasionally I'd say that Nook's rather upstanding.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Scrythe said:
I remember reading a story somewhere in the depths of the internet where it started out being a review of Animal Crossing and ended up turning into a horror story involving harvesting organs, transformations, and an undead antagonist.

Tom Nook ends up killing himself by the end. It was glorious

EDIT: I found it [http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/Update%201/index.html]!

Read it. Now.
I read everything....O__O

I'm never ever playing Animal Crossing....

Thank you. My innocence on the gamecube has been shattered to how sick and disturbing that story was XD

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Nightfalke said:
I must point you all to the Something Awful Let's Play of Animal Crossing.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal%20Crossing/

All the secrets will be revealed there.

And it's brilliant.
Damn that is some scary shit, read it all in one go. Only thing I didn't like was the wmv clip, kinda destroyed it :s

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Really? That tanuki must have some big balls to pull a stunt like that. Ba dum tish.

(Ha ha ha! Japanese culture joke.)

Racoons/Racoon Dogs aren't rodents FYI.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You bring back fond memories of grinding Mr. Young. Trying to pay off that debt, dollar by dollar, sea shell by sea shell. Only for Nook to say, "Nope. Your still in massive debt. Get over it and start fishing again jack!"

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Your list was already made a while ago, Nook got 72: http://www.ign.com/videogame-villains/72.html

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
nice poem

Nook pretty much does make you his b*tch throughout the whole entire game. And after you finally cough up three lungs, a kidney and your neighbours still beating heart he uses the money to build himself an even bigger store. Tom Nooke is a complete jerk.