Stolen Pixels #69: A Lost Cause

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #69: A Lost Cause

No matter where you go in Overlord, there you are.

Read Full Article

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Arf, arf, "You're a demon-man who's lost?" "....Alittle...."

KamikazeSailor

Jun 10, 2008
Funny one, but what's with the Overlord comics? Ain't that game a bit old at this point?

I don't really remember getting all that lost in Overlord. It wasn't that hard to find your way around even without a map or compass.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Very funny. "I am a complete bad ass, but don't know where the hell I am."

DaveMc

Jul 29, 2008
"Ain't that game a bit old at this point?"

You must be new here. :)

Shamus gets to games on a different time scale than other reviewers, I think it's fair to say. I find it refreshing, actually, to hear things about games outside their main launch blitz window, when the dust has had time to settle. Of course, I've hardly ever played any of the games, anyway, so when they came out makes little difference to me.

Also: Ha! Good comic. Bonus points for the Buckaroo Banzai reference at the top of this thread.

Teiran

Mar 3, 2009
Reminds me of the Venture brothers... where the Monarch and his minions executes a flawless attack for the first time, destroying everything in their path with efficiency rarely seen in the minions, only to discover they're at the wrong address.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Yup, this sounds really familiar...
I got the brown and the red slaves and I was searching for the blue buggers in this elven wood thingie and I think at that point I decided to evilly screw the game ^_^

jmpatt

Nov 25, 2008
First, I'm curious if there are in-game ways of detecting directionality... Does the time of day change? Is the sun visible in the sky? If it's morning, could you infer that the city to the East is towards the sun? Or is the overlord world set in a perpetually overcast noon, like the Pacific Northwest transported above the arctic circle?

As for "reviewing" old games, I'd be willing to bet that no one else is reviewing this game right now. Also, I'd bet the sales are also flat, and approximately zero. So if somehow the sales figures for an old game jump up to the high threes or low fours after the Shamus treatment, then maybe some of the developers should pay attention to what he's saying. Of course if they have the same jump after he ravages some piece of schlock, then they will correctly see that any publicity is good publicity, and blindly continue making games with less plot and more quicktime events... which they probably will anyhow.

*sigh*.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
KamikazeSailor said:
Funny one, but what's with the Overlord comics? Ain't that game a bit old at this point?

I don't really remember getting all that lost in Overlord. It wasn't that hard to find your way around even without a map or compass.
I got lost constantly. Drove me absolutely nuts. I'd be absolutely sure I was headed the right way, and wind up right back at the village I'd just sacked.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
KamikazeSailor said:

What is this 'old' you speak of?

I also did not get lost easily. After a little exploring I realized that the majority of the maps were giant circles.

Do love the punchline though, really didn't see where you were going (which seems ironic.)

johansan

Sep 13, 2007
" I understand that my avatar's moral compass is broken, but would it have killed the designers to give me a regular one?"
Brilliant :D.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
It's true, Overlord desperately needs a map. I'm getting lost all the time.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
KamikazeSailor said:

I got lost constantly. Drove me absolutely nuts. I'd be absolutely sure I was headed the right way, and wind up right back at the village I'd just sacked.
Even worse was trying to sack every house in Spree, then discovering that you can't find the ONE door left to bust down. ARGH it took me 15 minutes to find that ONE house up on the hill.

Helios_CM

Mar 4, 2009
Just so you know, Overlord II currently in development will definately be featuring a mini-map following OVERWHELMING community feedback regarding the lack of one in the original!

Dev Null

Jul 29, 2008
I'm playing it at the moment. The lack of a map was initially annoying, but the paper map from the box is actually very useful, and as someone mentioned almost all of the maps are essentially circles or straight lines - just keep walking til you either get somewhere familiar or to a dead end, and then you're done.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
lol.

There is in fact a minimap in the PS3 version of the game.

Look up screenshots of Overlord: Raising Hell.

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
Overlord had some great ideas but the linearity ruined it.
Same issue with the Overlord 2.