Stop. Hammer Time!

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That whole continuity stuff with long running comics is something that will always prevent me from actually getting into them.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Fuloqwam said:
I didn't see Thor flying. I know it's still early, but Thor needs to be able to fly. It'll add so much godliness to the character. The X-Men movies bugged me when they nerfed Magneto's powers (no flying, no magnetic shockwaves, no force shield).

Fully-powered Thor needs to stay like he is in the comics; Superman-level powerful.
I agree, but it will be hard to pull off. With Iron Man they can jut make him look like a missile and it seems realistic, superman style flight is going to look odd next to that.

Also; he can only fly when he wields Mjolnir, if he doesn't have it in his hands he's grounded.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
I have never been a comic fan.
I had never heard of Thor, prior to 2010 (Thanks Bob) but I'm having nerdchills from that trailer.
Sign me up.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Damn, I thought it was the song. D:

Still an interesting read though.

Edit: They better have Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth as the theme song.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
mykalwane said:
WolfThomas said:
mykalwane said:
So the fact that Thor refers to Earth as Earth rather then Midgard didn't bother anyone else? That is a real surprise to me.
It bothers me but we don't have the context, so maybe there's a reason.
Yea, since Thor tends to ask that whenever someone tells him this isn't Midgar but Earth. Still hearing Thor say Earth just stood out for being so odd.
Yeah it's unlikely but he might say something like "Cursed Midgard!", then she asked "what?" and then he asks if it's earth. It's a trailer so yeah stuff gets cut together, hell it may not even be in the movie, like the Iron Man 2 scene where she kisses his helmet and throws it.

Hijinx

Dec 3, 2010
Looks awesome - I'm going to have to see this.
And an Australian actor playing Thor? Even better!

I'm glad to see a more manly depiction of Thor here, as I recently read a comic that made him appear utterly camp. I was afraid that that would be the case before I watched the trailer, but he managed to pull off the rugged-yet-long-haired look incredibly well, so kudos to him.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Soooo, they explain Asgard as an interdimensional civilization that has achieved such a stunning level of technological advancement that its technology looks like magic?

Okay, I can accept that. I'm not American and the entire shared continuity of American comics was always weird to me, like a mashed-together fanfiction with no theme and genre. But this tries its best to fit neatly into Iron Man's campy sci-fi thing.

Abriel

Aug 4, 2010
alloneword said:
Vorocano said:
alloneword said:
Thor breaks the Marvel universe. Just look at the lineup that we have going into it: Fantastic Four, The Hulk, X-Men, Spider-man, Daredevil, Iron Man, Dr. Pym (Ant Man/Wasp), Hawkeye, Captain America, and many many more.

Every single hero on that list is either one of two things: A scientist who got caught up in an experiment gone wrong, or a regular (or irregular) guy who came across a strange set of circumstances and now chooses to deal with it by being a hero.

And then there is Thor. While he does technically fall into the second of the categories that I listed, the powers that he attains make him LITERALLY a god. It changes the entire mythology of the Marvel universe(s), in a way that, in my opinion, is not for the better.
But magic and myth exist in the Marvel universe outside of the Thor mythos. Dr Strange, for example, or Ghost Rider. You think they should ignore some of their iconic characters because they're not "science-y" enough for you?
I don't take objection to magic within the Marvel universe. I actually enjoy the most recent sub-storyline with Dr.Strange and the Sorcerer Supreme (re: The New Avenger). What I take objection with is the fact that, running around with all these (relatively) regular heroes is the literal incarnation of a Norse God. Two of them actually.
See I disagree. I don't see how having a Norse god (or alien) running around is any different from the dozens of other different types of characters running around the Marvel universe. We got cosmic-ray infused humans, mutants, cosmic-powered entities, the literal entity Death, demons, and others hopping around out there.

If you're concerned about it power-wise, I would point out that there are lots of characters in Marvel who are just as powerful if not moreso than Thor, and Thor has gotten his butt handed to him on dozens of occasions by those beings. The Hulk alone was able to give him a hard time on quite a few occasions.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
This is the dumbest thing I ever heard of.
Loki as Thors brother?

Why don't they just make a movie about God fighting Hitler!

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
Loki as Thors brother? !
Yeap. they really botched Loki in the comic book. He's actually soooo muh more interesting in actual norse mythology. But hey, he;s also too complex so they dumbed-him down a little.
The moovie is going to kick ass for sure. Actually the whole Avengers thing is, save from Captain America probably, not pretty sure how that;s going to fare outside the U.S. .
Oh, and this trailer break-down thing is just too much. Really. This whole attitude is just gong to generate a reaction from the public one day, I mean most people will get be fed-up and superheroes will return to the shelves of The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop right next to 80's action heroes and the buddy/cop movies.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I saw that this was directed by Kenneth Branagh, and for a moment my head wanted to explode, because I've always associated him with Shakespeare =) But I'm glad this movie seems to have good people behind it (and in it).

Also: I'm not surprised they let him have his Australian accent - what were they going to make him suppress it for - a fake nordic one? Or one of those 'I'm an ancient/god/historical figure so therefore I must be British? Or one of those 'we can't startle anyone' smoothed out north American accents? I have no problem with any of these accents in and of themselves, each just has its appropriate place. He's Thor. He can speak however he damn well pleases =P

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Eh, it doesn't look that interesting to me really. I love all these types of movies, but for some reason this one just looks "meh" to me. But I can't really judge it yet I suppose.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
I've seen the trailer myself, actually mere hours ago. I must say, looks promising. The whole whopee about Elba had me laughing and raging at the same time. I mean really?? White supremacists and other deluded idiots crying about a black man in a movie based on a comic book that's based on a mythology they have no connection to or any need to be proud of (safe a few that might have had a Norwegian great-great-great-great-grandfather)? And by this I'm referring solely to Americans. I don't know if any Swedish WP-groups have voiced their outrage but I'm pretty sure they haven't even heard of the movie.

EDIT: I will admit however that this was a rather odd decision. He'll probably do a great job of it (looked awesome in the trailer) and his skin color won't affect my enjoyment of the movie one bit.

But right there with the rumors of an African-American Spider-Man in the new reboot this is starting to look a bit like a trend for Marvel.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Good to see that Bob took a stance on the casting controversy. He didn't even mention it in his articles for The Last Airbender.

What I find the most ironic things that if you go on IMDB, you would find that some of the harshest critics of Heimdall or Nick Fury being played by black actors are also some of the most stubborn defenders for the casting behind 21, Speed Racer, Dragonball Evolution, Prince of Persia, and The Last Airbender. I guess to these same posters the "racebending" isn't bad as long as it supports white privilege and eurocentricism.

I admit I was a little peeved by Heimdall's casting since in Norse mythology he is supposed to be the whitest of the Aesir. However after a moment, I learned to appreciate the irony and tongue in cheek reference. And Stringer Bell as a Norse God? That was just awesome.

Early on there were reports that Idris Elba was actually playing Loki. And the same controversy followed.

Some IMDB Poster by the name of DrakeMadEyeWeasley said:
Loki is white in the movie. It is one of the warrior three that is black.
again why have a token black man there?

norse Mythology is white
That reaction was completely misinformed. Loki in Norse mythology was a character that represented duality and sitting on the fence. In both Norse myths and the Marvel Universe Loki is a shapeshifter. Loki is part man part woman and sometimes portrayed as a hermaphrodite. Loki is borne of both Gods and Giants, who are immortal enemies. Loki is both good and evil. The Marvel 616 Universe's look of a green and yellow leotard wearing humanoid, is only one of his/her physical manifestations, or "avatars" if you will. Even in that portrayal he is shown to transform into different creatures, genders, and races. There is no real consistent look or portrayal to the character.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Checked out this thread because of my profile pic. Decided to reread Bob's awesome analysis.

Worked out pretty well, actually.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Never been big on Marvel, I think their superheroes are absolutely ridiculous, and I think the same about this trailer. Also Thor seems like a giant douchebag, although that might just be the trailer. Hopefully.

Flame shield active.