Stop. Hammer Time!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stop. Hammer Time!

Behold, mortals! MovieBob doth verily breaketh down yonder Thor trailer!

Read Full Article

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
This is a re-cut version of the trailer shown at Comic-Con (I believe). In that, we have a shot of Odin sick and/or dying, and Frigga handing Gungnir (Odin's spear) to Loki: "The line of succession falls to you."

I don't know if this will make the final cut of the film, but it's interesting, to say the least.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
I'm intrigued, knowing basically nothing about Thor myself. Bob, I'm really loving these trailer breakdowns. Your insane knowledge of comics really helps get more appreciation from the crafting of these movies in seeing how faithful (or not) they are.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Oh yes, I'm even more excited now! Kind of a cliched plot, but that's okay, because Thor is awesome. I wonder what the average Joe knows about Norse mythology, anyway? True to fashion for Joe and his fellows, I'd wager, "less than I'd think."

Also: Ancient Astronauts? Nonsense!

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
So,
in the Thor canon, Norse gods are actually aliens/interdimensional beings?
Man, that's heavy.

Overall, great trailer. I just wanna see more.

alloneword

Jul 9, 2008
Alright so here's the thing: I love Marvel comics. Love. Love. Love. Love. Right now even, I have an unread copy of this week's Avengers Academy sitting there staring at me, begging to love it. That being said, I should make one thing very clear:

Of all the Marvel heroes, Thor is the one who should not exist. (and Valkyrie but she's basically a female Thor)

Here is my reason why.

Thor breaks the Marvel universe. Just look at the lineup that we have going into it: Fantastic Four, The Hulk, X-Men, Spider-man, Daredevil, Iron Man, Dr. Pym (Ant Man/Wasp), Hawkeye, Captain America, and many many more.

Every single hero on that list is either one of two things: A scientist who got caught up in an experiment gone wrong, or a regular (or irregular) guy who came across a strange set of circumstances and now chooses to deal with it by being a hero.

And then there is Thor. While he does technically fall into the second of the categories that I listed, the powers that he attains make him LITERALLY a god. It changes the entire mythology of the Marvel universe(s), in a way that, in my opinion, is not for the better.

Up until the point of Thor, Marvel had a really real theme going with their works (or as reals as you can in the comic book world). All of the places that are shown, with the exception of specific structures and alternate timelines are actually real world places that evolve and change around the heroes depending on the time that the comic was released.

I like Thor as a character, and love him as an Avenger. But I don't like what his presence does to the universe as a whole.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
If you will, some extraneous digression:
Am I the only one who's already thinking about the obligatory post-credits tease to the Avengers/Captain America in this movie? Here are my guesses:
-Black Widow, Nick Fury and/or Iron Man showing up to meet Thor talking about needing help to find "someone"
-A tease of the new Hulk, probably about to rumble with Thor.
-Footage of an avalanche in Antartica, with a glimpse at a frozen Steve Rogers. For obvious reasons, the first thing you notice is the shield.
-Iron Man and/or Thor find the frozen Steve Rogers in the middle of the ocean. The structure of the scene would be similar to the reveal of Mjolnir in Iron Man 2.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
o baby baby its coming together. Just love how insignificant Mjolnir looks. Epic for a hammer of godly power to be well understated XD

Man if thats how they look like in the comic, they really do look silly IRL XD (still glad they chose to be faithful)

Now time to make plans to see TRON. And i have a company party to go too booo >.<

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I just know people no familiar with the comics or unwilling to suspend their disbelief are going to complain about this, but I just think it's all so awesome.

Also, thanks for showing me Clarke's three laws.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Thor is definitely the biggest obstacle in the Avengers agenda. He's a good hero and character, but the movie-going public might be sceptical. This is the one that will rely more on the comic fans more than any other one. And Marvel is doing a good job appealing to that crowd.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
I'll probably go see this when it comes out, although I suppose it would be wise to do like a norseman and drink myself silly, in the hopes of forgetting all Norse mythology, so I won't scream and yell at the movie about fucking it up so much.

pearsmb06

Nov 11, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks that step-by-stepping the trailer is more or less pointless? Most of the stuff mentioned isn't that hard to surmise and most of the comic minutia mentioned seems more or less irrelevant. It was a good article cop-out once, but it's getting tiring. I'd be much happier with a more solid analysis/prediction rather than telling me what I've already seen.

As for the movie, still skeptical. As long as he spends a decent amount of time smashing in Giants faces and not too much time as a mortal (who does a lot of ridiculous double-footed kicks, apparently) I'll likely be happy. I'm hoping there's a lot of crazy Norse monsters that the trailer just hasn't shown because I already don't care about him beating up marines in the desert.

Shaping up to be a mediocre-to-decent action flick. Hope they don't turn it into a preview for the avengers movie like they did with Iron Man 2, though.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
For the most part, I could actually care less about most of these comic book films, but I got a kick out of Iron Man and this one looks quite good as well now. Being a fan of things based on mythology (even when I'm not actually familiar with it, such as God of War or the Ulduar stuff in WoW) this has an interesting attraction as a weird alternate take on such things. I like it and will probably see it.

But, probably not in 3D.

Bonus: Did anyone else not comic savvy mistake Jack Kirby (mentioned on the second page) for Josh Kirby (the person responsible for a lot of Discworld art)? For a second there I was thinking, woah, that guy did comic books? That can't be right! And of course it wasn't.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
I didn't see Thor flying. I know it's still early, but Thor needs to be able to fly. It'll add so much godliness to the character. The X-Men movies bugged me when they nerfed Magneto's powers (no flying, no magnetic shockwaves, no force shield).

Fully-powered Thor needs to stay like he is in the comics; Superman-level powerful.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
In the Daredevil movie, Kingpin was played by a black actor. In Ironman, Fury is black too. So I say, who really cares? If someone can act and do a really good job at playing the part, then why should they cast someone who looks like the comic counterpart over someone who can make it believable?

If there are no 3D versions of this movie, I will have to wait till the DVD release.