RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
opening your console
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaxIB6cXTYM&feature=related
Fixing your console
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsz0lNJ6JrQ&feature=related

This does work and I have fixed mine this way
Stop sending microsoft all your money it takes about 10 bucks to fix.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Doesn't that void the warranty? Where you can get you're XBOX fixed for free?

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
You know, more often than not Microsoft just sends you a new 360 with your HDD on it. they've done that with me 6x.

EDIT: complete with the 'new product' smell that is oh so sweet.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
...or just get it fixed for free by professional. which doesn't void your warranty so you don't have to pay loads when you fuck it up doing something like that.

ellimist337

Sep 30, 2008
Those solutions are not only not permanent fixes, but they don't always work anyway, just like the towel technique. Oh yeah, and like everybody else has said, it voids your warranty. The same warranty that gets renewed every time you have to send it in to get it repaired.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Bah! they've screwed me out of 400 dollars, 100 for a box, 200 for them losing my system, and then another 100 a year and a half later when the refurbished system they sent me failed. Besides mine hasnt broken yet since I did this and I didnt have to wait 3 weeks to get it back.

Vires Vox

Oct 16, 2008
I assume he means once the warranty has expired, or if you purchased your x-box second hand say from ebay.

chunkynut

Feb 3, 2009
If it red rings (3 red bars or more) and it was purchased within 3 years - they fix it for free. I don't know if the warrenty renews tho, I hope so!

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
chunkynut said:
If it red rings (3 red bars or more) and it was purchased within 3 years - they fix it for free. I don't know if the warrenty renews tho, I hope so!
You have to pay for the 3 year waranty, otherwise its only a year. The refurbished system is only a year also

Vires Vox said:
I assume he means once the warranty has expired, or if you purchased your x-box second hand say from ebay.
Thats exactly why I posted it.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
RRoD is a free fix because it was their fault it happens. Anything else is more than likely your fault, so you should have to pay for it. Fixing it yourself unless you're licensed to do so voids your warranty, and if it doesn't work you're fucked.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
My xbox360 got hit with a RROD after 3 years and five months. My warranty was clearly expired.
Yet I was still able to get a completely free repair and a new one year warranty.

I wouldn't mess with it, since $10 isn't much for me. Since I'm a noob, I'd probably break my system and end up buying another anyway.

Ferinus Goo

Feb 9, 2009
It should be free to fix if it's within its two year manufacturers warrenty (that's on top of any additional warrenty you might get from the place you bought it), also Xbox engineers get specially trained on how to open 360s because there were a number of peeps sent to A&E with injuries from trying to open em haha
Opening it would void your warrenty.

chunkynut

Feb 3, 2009
RavingPenguin said:
chunkynut said:
You have to pay for the 3 year waranty, otherwise its only a year. The refurbished system is only a year also
That is not the case (in the UK at least), I did all my repair contacting online through the website, I put my serial number in and it said my warrenty had expired but scrolling further down the page there was a tick box for '3 red ring'. When that was ticked the warrenty was in fact 3 years - i had read about MS pumping 1.5 Billion (think it was $s) into Xbox repairs and had basically admitted major hardware faults were occuring.

Most of my friends have Xboxs, we've pretty much all had red rings and none (except 1) have paid for repairs. The 1 who did had a disk drive fault which was not covered by the 3 year warrenty.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
"How To Fix the Red Ring of Death PERMENANTLY!!!!"

It's very simple, open up your X-Box, remove the light bulbs at the front.
Ta da! No more red ring.