Storage chest only in DLC in many games

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
Lots of games only give you storage chests if you buy DLC, such as borderlands and dragon age origins.
Having storage chests in games with items is the most obvious thing in the world but why is it usually not released in the original? Do they want more money or do they not think it is necessary until they get a lot of complaints?

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
The same reason anyone does anything.

It's not because they want to spread their message.

It's not because they want to spread their experience.

It's because they want the fucking money.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
You don't need a storage chest in Dragon Age.

Stop hoarding shit.

Also, there are reasons why. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
A basic thing like a storage chest ought not to be DLC. That's like denying you a compass or a map or the ability to run or having hotkeys without forking over extra cash.

DLC should be extra stuff, like weapons or areas or characters or spells. But a storage chest? Oy.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

Also, there are reasons why. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]
while that thread is very right... I think they have a bit more of a point with the storage chests.. I mean, part of the allure of these games is finding mighty treasures and keeping them as trophies...

I really don't have an answer to the primary question of "why they thought it would be better as DLC". Wish I did, heh.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Veylon said:
A basic thing like a storage chest ought not to be DLC. That's like denying you a compass or a map or the ability to run or having hotkeys without forking over extra cash.

DLC should be extra stuff, like weapons or areas or characters or spells. But a storage chest? Oy.
I played through the ENTIRE game without the use of either a storage chest, or actually collecting my DLC companion, Shale. The removal of these pieces do not detract from the experience of the game. For example, with the item limit, I found that after completing a major quest and doling out the loot, simply selling the unnecessary bits, giving away the gifts, making the traps and poisons and health packs and whatnot left me with sufficient free space to journey through an entire additional major quest without being forced to discard items or not loot certain things. Even when the box WAS added, I couldn't really be bothered to exploit it.

With respect to the Character, Shale, I'd point out that it does absolutely nothing not better handled by existing characters. The story and quest bits related do little to actually expand the central components to the game, other than adding a few additional minutes of amusing dialogue as you talk to your giant rock-friend. The last piece of DLC, the Blood Dragon armor, is hardly necessary. Significantly better armor options already exist in the game such that all party members can be equipped with high quality late game gear with excellent bonuses without resorting to using the DLC addition.

More importantly, the latter pieces of DLC are free with a new copy of the game and only cost money if one wants them when they bought a used copy. I see no problem with such a plan. The content is hardly necessary for a fulfilling game experience and represents more than a mild garnish to the game. Considering neither the developer nor the publisher make any money off a used game sale, the purpose of the latter portions of DLC seem to be a way of gently pursuading the consumer to purchase the version new. If they choose not to, they can still get the full experience if they desperately want to have a talking rock friend, and at least the developer and publisher actually make money in the end.

I will of course, be among the first to procliam my righteous indignation about DLC when it is literally an integral part of the experience that has been sold seperately and has no excuse to NOT be on the disc. Thus far, I have never seen such a situation and thus my nerd rage is firmly held in check. Besides, I am fully capable of realizing that a company much prefers to make some money rather than no money and as such will not begrudge them for thinking up strategies that encourage consumers to purchase a new version of the game rather than a used copy.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

Then how are you supposed to collect all the sets? 125 inventory slots is just not enough. Especially for the price gouging on backpacks going on in Ferelden. 7 gold a pop? They practically force you to buy the storage chest.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

Then how are you supposed to collect all the sets? 125 inventory slots is just not enough. Especially for the price gouging on backpacks going on in Ferelden. 7 gold a pop? They practically force you to buy the storage chest.
Why're you collecting all the sets? If you're going to be a hoarder, you reap what you sow. Point is that if you're playing smart you'll never need a storage chest. And by "smart" I mean "don't hold on to excess crap you'll never need."

Edit: Also, 7g is fuck all. Stop being so tight fisted. Maybe if you sold some of those sets you're clinging to like an obsessive you'd have the money.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

Why're you collecting all the sets? If you're going to be a hoarder, you reap what you sow. Point is that if you're playing smart you'll never need a storage chest. And by "smart" I mean "don't hold on to excess crap you'll never need."

Edit: Also, 7g is fuck all. Stop being so tight fisted. Maybe if you sold some of those sets you're clinging to like an obsessive you'd have the money.
For the bonuses having a full set gives you. Which brings us right back to why would they scatter armor sets all over the world and not give you anywhere to hang on to them? If not to charge you for a storage chest later.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

For the bonuses having a full set gives you. Which brings us right back to why would they scatter armor sets all over the world and not give you anywhere to hang on to them? If not to charge you for a storage chest later.
...right, but why do you need more than one or two sets per character? And since you're likely only using three NPCs throughout the majority of the game, that's...what, 40 item slots not counting the stuff you're already wearing?

Leaving you with 85 spare.

However will you live?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

I had missed out on that thread. That was fun to read.

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
In oblivion I have a collection of about 2000 items.
Im just glad you have unlimited chest storage

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I hate Bioware's attitude to DLC.

Dragon Age was the only game I have ever played where DLC was conspicuous in its absence.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:
squid5580 said:
Amnestic said:

Stop hoarding shit.

...right, but why do you need more than one or two sets per character? And since you're likely only using three NPCs throughout the majority of the game, that's...what, 40 item slots not counting the stuff you're already wearing?

Leaving you with 85 spare.

However will you live?
By using the storage chest and ignoring fucking idiots online who think they know how I should enjoy the game I paid for.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
squid5580 said:
By using the storage chest and ignoring fucking idiots online who think they know how I should enjoy the game I paid for.
In other words, choosing a certain gamepath. Glad we've established that the storage chest isn't a necessity but rather a luxury.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
The Kangaroo said:
I'd almost say for anti piracy but it's probably for monies... ALL TEH MONIEZ
How would it be anti-piracy? Since when has DLC started to evade pirating?

You're prolly right with the money part. Why let people enjoy the original game and dismiss the DLC, when you can pull something out of the original which the players will need they have to get teh DLC... especially if you release it on day 1.