Straight Guy in Wafflehouse beat down for homophobic slur

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
The big question here is why a group of gay men were eating at a Waffle House. Has anyone ever been to one of those? They're like the least-gay places on Earth.

Mar 5, 2011
Leadfinger said:
In my view, the beat down was totally warranted. You could look at it as a kind of "manners coaching." Perhaps the fellow will think before he speaks in the future.
No one deserves to be beat up by a crowd of people for defending himself AFTER being hit by someone else. Sure he said "******" but that doesn't warrant beating the shit out of him. All the crowd did was prove to him that he's right.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Yay for mob mentality. It's a fact that you can beat bigotry out of people.

SpectacularWebHead said:
Fuck yeah. It's about time frankly, all these people beating up guys for being gay, I'm glad to see a little karma coming round. That guy deserved everything he got and more.
So you know this guy has beat up on gays before?

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
Clearly the woman struck the offender first. He's still a hateful, callous asshole, but he was backed into a corner and was hit by the woman. So no, he didn't deserve an ass-kicking. Violence doesn't change minds, in fact if anything he'll be even more hateful towards gay people. Violence begets more violence, after all.
Actually, if you look at his left hand you'll see him slap her first which started the beat down. Also she yells at him which kind of hard to hear but she yells at him not to touch her as she slaps him.

twistedmic said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Snip.
Have to correct another person... he wasn't being held back at the throat it was the upper part of his chest. If you look you can also see another person holding him back by placing their hands on his stomach. The two guys were trying to defuse the situation but as soon as they let go he slaps the woman.

This guy deserved the beat down but not because he said the wrong thing or that he got slapped. He deserved it because he could have walked away but instead lost his restraint and hit the woman he was arguing with.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I don't know why he called them fags, and I'm not saying they were right to gang up and kick his ass, but I mean... what did he expect would happen? He had to know that they might react poorly... right?

If he's so stupid that he thought they'd just be okay with it, then, well... then I'd feel bad for him.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
fighting over stuff like that is stupid. the guy is an asshole. the woman shouldnt have hit him. she really started this (it seems most of the time stuff like this happens a woman takes the first swing)

the only thing i really have to say is.... that fight was super gay. swarm of fat men in pink pants slapping the crap out of the fat guy on the ground.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Master_Fubar23 said:
Have to correct another person... he wasn't being held back at the throat it was the upper part of his chest. If you look you can also see another person holding him back by placing their hands on his stomach. The two guys were trying to defuse the situation but as soon as they let go he slaps the woman.

This guy deserved the beat down but not because he said the wrong thing or that he got slapped. He deserved it because he could have walked away but instead lost his restraint and hit the woman he was arguing with.
the woman hit him first. im not saying its justified but your missing a ridiculously important part. the guys were holding him, they let go, the woman hit him, then he went after her, and thus they went after him

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
LetalisK said:

SpectacularWebHead said:
Fuck yeah. It's about time frankly, all these people beating up guys for being gay, I'm glad to see a little karma coming round. That guy deserved everything he got and more.
Let's be honest, if someone is willing to shout that sort of stuff in public it's likely he's done it before. And when I said karma, I didn't mean that one guy specifically, more him as a representation of the people who HAVE beat up gay guys regularly for stupid reasons. I should have made it clearer, I was talking more in a wider sense than just this incident.

Xonlic

Apr 16, 2009
twistedmic said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yeah....this is uncommon to hear about. A straight guy in a Wafflehouse was in a conflict with a group of gay men for using the word "******". After a bit of yelling a he reaches out to slap a woman and proceeds to get beaten up:[link]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh3070esatamMh4A1b[/link]

With 'mob justice' and equal rights being kind of popular on the forums recently, I'd like to know your thoughts on the manner.

In my opinion this is weird to comment on. You almost never hear of a person being confronted much less beat up for homophobic remarks.
You forgot to mention the part where he was pressed up against a wall with an arm across his throat and the part where he was hit first. The guy didn't just reach out to randomly slap the woman, and he was already being physically threatened so he was acting in self-defense.
And, to be fair, we don't know how the incident got started. For all we know the gay people started it by picking on or otherwise harassing the straight guy.
I may be a bit biased, I admit that, but it's been my experience the on average its not the gay folk who start these fights. Let's be honest here, the vast majority of homophobic slurs and insults are throw around without being really provoked.

The more common defense for the use of such language on the homophobes side is "He was acting like a fag" or "He was hitting on me".

Let's not go doing the "poor victim" treatment for ignorant people. It's a pity that this is even coming up on these posts. I acknowledge that they're response was too forceful and they might have jumped the gun, however I also have a feeling that they probably have also been involved in a bashing commited against themselves or had it happen to a loved one. That alone can make you pretty fast on draw to stop it again.

Call me Baz

Nov 26, 2011
For everyone saying "she clearly hit him first" I'm not so sure .. he definitely moves his left arm to her, but it looks like he's going for her tit before she slaps him, there's a chance she struck first thinking she was about to get smacked.

He wasn't properly beaten up either, just taught some humility in a painful, stereotypical slapping way. No (external) bleeding or severe impact (aside from those last few slaps on the head perhaps) which everyone seems to take from time to time.

As long as there's no lasting physical harm, I'm rather uncaring about the situation. I'm not condoning the beating he got, but not about to condemn it either. We've heard too many far sadder stories about Homophobe-on-homosexual violence with no form of reprieve.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
shameduser said:
Leadfinger said:
In my view, the beat down was totally warranted. You could look at it as a kind of "manners coaching." Perhaps the fellow will think before he speaks in the future.
No one deserves to be beat up by a crowd of people for defending himself AFTER being hit by someone else. Sure he said "******" but that doesn't warrant beating the shit out of him. All the crowd did was prove to him that he's right.
I disagree.It's unfortunate that the guy is a homophobe, but it's intolerable for him to abuse people in public with hate speech. He deserved the kicking he got. If tolerance and understanding are not in the cards for this fellow, maybe a lesson in stfu is just what he needed.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
SpectacularWebHead said:
LetalisK said:

SpectacularWebHead said:
Let's be honest, if someone is willing to shout that sort of stuff in public it's likely he's done it before. And when I said karma, I didn't mean that one guy specifically, more him as a representation of the people who HAVE beat up gay guys regularly for stupid reasons. I should have made it clearer, I was talking more in a wider sense than just this incident.
If that were even remotely true, I would expect the homosexual population to be dead by now considering roughly half of the country is anti-gay. No, they're going to be quite comfortable in the safety of their little free speech bubble where they're protected by the law. Also, even if he had, why is he suddenly the representation paying for the sins of everyone else? It's great for the founding of a religion, but that's not just at all. And do you think that's the message all the anti-gay people are going to take away from this? Or is it going to just further justify their hate in their own warped minds? No, there is no kernel of good in this pile of shit situation. We should be better than this or supporting this.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
LetalisK said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
LetalisK said:

SpectacularWebHead said:
If that were even remotely true, I would expect the homosexual population to be dead by now considering roughly half of the country is anti-gay. No, they're going to be quite comfortable in the safety of their little free speech bubble where they're protected by the law. Also, even if he had, why is he suddenly the representation paying for the sins of everyone else? It's great for the founding of a religion, but that's not just at all. And do you think that's the message all the anti-gay people are going to take away from this? Or is it going to just further justify their hate in their own warped minds? No, there is no kernel of good in this pile of shit situation. We should be better than this or supporting this.
The free speech bubble bit came off a little homophobic, but you haven't said anything to suggest it so benefit of the doubt, just watch the phrasing a bit. With wider relevance, anyone who's been deeply engrained into believing gay people are scum of the earth aren't going to change. It's harsh but true. Allowing them to justify their hatred isn't a problem, because they already have, be it through religion or simply prejudice. They believe that wha they are doing is fully justified. Incidents like this don't make anyone MORE homophobic, they simply allow the homophobes to go ***** in their corner about "Fags" whilst having learnt that maybe messing with these guys is a bad idea. Supporting what happened here is fully logical if you believe LGBT people are equal to everyone else, because it signifies a very clear message; "We are becoming intolerant of your intolerance." I'm not expecting anything big to come from this, but if more instances like this pop up, with gays defending themselves against intolerant slurs from fuckwits instead of just taking it, It would over all be a good thing.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
On one hand, he was being a bell-end and deserved some kind of something in return. But as has been pointed out, the woman hit him first and he was within his rights to defend himself. The group of guys are definitely in the wrong here. Pummeling a guy to the floor when you easily outnumber him is neither big nor clever.

The best thing to do would have been to be the bigger man, ignore the edjit and walk off.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Keoul said:
He was an ass for calling out the racial slurs but damn he didn't deserve to be beaten that badly. And then there's the whole she hit first thing, he's an ass but didn't deserve that bad of a beatdown, maybe just thrown out.
That badly? He was effectively "slapped to death". I've seen more violent beatings in minecraft involving a hand and a pig.

I think he deserved it frankly, maybe it'll teach him a lesson that you can't be a open hateful bigot and not expected repercussions for your actions. At the very least, now he gets to be forever remembered was the homophobic bigot who got beat up by a group of "fags"...thats some major bruising his manhood right there.