Strange food habits

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You got any unconventional methods that you implement with your eatification? Something that other people look at and say "you're weird, weirdo...why you eat so weird?"

I put cheese on as much food as I can. It's not an addiction. Really. But if there's cheese, and there's food that don't have no cheese on it, that food is gonna get cheesed up for realsies. I'm not an addict, ok.

Apr 17, 2009
Less of a food craving an more of an OCD thing, but I need to eat equal amounts on the left and right sides of my mouth. So everything I eat is either already in twos or gets divided in half so my brain doesn't spend the day screeching at me.

On a less psychological note, when I make my own mash I leave the skins on the potatoes. I quite like the added taste and texture this gives the mash (and frankly have better things to do than peel potatoes) but both my housemates thinks its odd

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Lots and lots of things.

I'm a picky eater. Very picky. Don't eat most any vegetables/jams/marmalade/soups, and more (much more).
I take a very long time to finish a meal. Mostly around an hour or so.
My main concerns are that it's fast to make and tastes ok.
I go through phases where I eat almost exclusively one meal (or slight variation of) during a variable period.
I'm left-handed but uses fork in left hand and knife in right hand.
I try to avoid drinking from the same place on the glass/mug if I can.
I divide up the meal on the plate by having every kind of item in their own group.
I pre-slice everything to minimize time it takes to eat and continued effort.

There is probably some other stuff I forgot as well.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Palindromemordnilap said:
Less of a food craving an more of an OCD thing, but I need to eat equal amounts on the left and right sides of my mouth. So everything I eat is either already in twos or gets divided in half so my brain doesn't spend the day screeching at me.
You apply half-life to mastication? Does that work out consistently or is it more of a general guideline?
On a less psychological note, when I make my own mash I leave the skins on the potatoes. I quite like the added taste and texture this gives the mash (and frankly have better things to do than peel potatoes) but both my housemates thinks its odd
That is good eats. Extra texture is a bonus in such context. Your housemates are ignorant fools!

Apr 17, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
You apply half-life to mastication? Does that work out consistently or is it more of a general guideline?
Can sometimes depend on what I'm eating. I'll eat biscuits in twos, straight up one for the left one for the right. Something like sausages will get cut into halves or quarters. If its something less visibly divisible I can settle for rough estimates (eg, I'm not going to count out every single pea, but it will have to be similar sized scoops)

Xsjadoblayde said:
That is good eats. Extra texture is a bonus in such context. Your housemates are ignorant fools!
Thats what I keep telling them!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Can sometimes depend on what I'm eating. I'll eat biscuits in twos, straight up one for the left one for the right. Something like sausages will get cut into halves or quarters. If its something less visibly divisible I can settle for rough estimates (eg, I'm not going to count out every single pea, but it will have to be similar sized scoops)
Is it something that had a specific moment of occurrence or just a habit embraced over time?
Thats what I keep telling them!
They will learn. Eventually. They know not of their obliviousness.
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Lots and lots of things.

I'm a picky eater. Very picky. Don't eat most any vegetables/jams/marmalade/soups, and more (much more).
I take a very long time to finish a meal. Mostly around an hour or so.
My main concerns are that it's fast to make and tastes ok.
I go through phases where I eat almost exclusively one meal (or slight variation of) during a variable period.
I divide up the meal on the plate by having every kind of item in their own group.
I pre-slice everything to minimize time it takes to eat and continued effort.

There is probably some other stuff I forgot as well.
That's quite a bit of a tendency towards the OCD there by the sounds of it. Does it get in the way of daily plans at all?

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
That's quite a bit of a tendency towards the OCD there by the sounds of it. Does it get in the way of daily plans at all?
Not usually.
My current workplace offers free lunch, but they have no shown menu that I know of.
So I always prepare something to take with me in case I don't like it.
Otherwise it's only on such occasions as having dinner at someone else?s place that could become..awkward.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I don't really have any odd habits except if I have like, a bag of candy or whatever, I like to take them all out and group them according to all the colours. So basically, each group has one of each colour in it and the groups with every color get eaten last.

Apr 17, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Is it something that had a specific moment of occurrence or just a habit embraced over time?
It started out about two decades ago when I was tiny, I had a mouth ulcer where I'd bitten my lip so was chewing things only on one side. Which is when my brain kicked in and went "Well thats not very fair, we're going to have to balance that out later" and it got more developed over time since then. Especially once I realised I was doing it, when it went from a subconscious action to something I have to deliberately do now

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
L
i think it's the basic method for left handed. i'm left handed and i do that as well, and seeing how i avoid to eat on a table with someone to my left, becausei use my left hand to eat, and the other person use the right hand, so we end up bumping elbows...

anyway, i eat regular chips and pour ketchup and salt on them. also when i'm eating a steak, i eat the borders first, so i end up with a square or a rectangle, and then eat a slice of each sides until i'm left with only the middle bite to eat...

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Food habits are weird in general.

Monks and nuns are not supposed to be delicious.

Seriously though? I guess it's less what I eat than when I eat it - I generally eat when the fancy strikes me (so long as it's not too late), so I'll often skip breakfast and I don't keep regular eating hours.
I like to experiment a bit when I'm cooking too, I've gotten green lentils pretty cheap recently, gonna stew them in tomato sauce with veggies and hotdogs soon...
Oh and I'm way picky about my meat, I always make sure to pick out any bones, cartilage, veins, tubes, blobs of fat, membranes, anything - I've basically given up on chicken wings and legs for that reason, I only really eat breasts.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ugicywapih said:
gonna stew them in tomato sauce with veggies and hotdogs soon...
Oh and I'm way picky about my meat, I always make sure to pick out any bones, cartilage, veins, tubes, blobs of fat, membranes
I'm so tired I can't tell if you're joking. Please be joking :(.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Tuna with mayo is normal.

Tuna with mayo mixed with raw ramen (the kind you can break in two) is apparently not?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I have very specific preferences when it comes to flavours and what starchy product I add. For instance, with spicy peanut sauce I want rice, with sweet peanut sauce I want noodles. With tomato sauce for pasta I want macaroni, but with for instance a mushroom sauce I want penne. And so on.

Also, I refuse to eat "hutspot" (an onion and carrot hotpot here in the Netherlands) without butter to go with it, as I want a little bit of butter to go with every bite. My dad, on the other hand, did the same but with sambal.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Baffle2 said:
Ugicywapih said:
Oh and I'm way picky about my meat, I always make sure to pick out any bones, cartilage, veins, tubes, blobs of fat, membranes
I'm sorry, I'm actually quite serious. I guess it does come off as a bit of a contradiction, but the truth is I'm aware people put weird stuff into hotdogs, but between the mincing, the flavouring and whatnot, I don't feel that weird stuff in my mouth, I don't have it crumble between my teeth with the easily recognizable bit of resistance, I don't feel a bit of meat suddenly tasting off, I don't see the considerably darker meat around the veins with a ghoulish gray tube protruding from it... Sure, it's made with funny meats, but they're well concealed and it's all good protein in the end.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
cathou said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
L
i think it's the basic method for left handed. i'm left handed and i do that as well, and seeing how i avoid to eat on a table with someone to my left, becausei use my left hand to eat, and the other person use the right hand, so we end up bumping elbows...
Did a quick search. Managed to wade through tons of stuff. Tons.
Anyway, there seems to be a European style and an American style.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette

So, we are both left-handed, but eat like right-handed folks.
(my sister does the opposite, heh)
Bumping elbows do indeed happen from time to time. I tend to swing mine quite vigorously.

Ugicywapih said:
Baffle2 said:
Ugicywapih said:
I'm sorry, I'm actually quite serious. I guess it does come off as a bit of a contradiction, but the truth is I'm aware people put weird stuff into hotdogs, but between the mincing, the flavouring and whatnot, I don't feel that weird stuff in my mouth, I don't have it crumble between my teeth with the easily recognizable bit of resistance, I don't feel a bit of meat suddenly tasting off, I don't see the considerably darker meat around the veins with a ghoulish gray tube protruding from it... Sure, it's made with funny meats, but they're well concealed and it's all good protein in the end.
I do the same, mostly.
No problem eating hot dogs or other "misc" meat, but when it's visible or felt it turns my stomach.
There are some misc meats like store-bought hamburgers that have what looks and feels like tiny bone chips or cartilage that I avoid.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ugicywapih said:
they're well concealed and it's all good protein in the end.
Not really it isn't - it's more fat than protein, most of which was scrapped off the floor. Plus tons of salt. Quite a bit of bone too. They give my dog the shits (that's not saying much though, loads of things give him the shits).

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Also a super picky eater, I hate it, I wish I could just order whatever and enjoy it.

I also eat basically the same thing all the time. And whenever I go out to eat, it is always the same thing, to the point where I just have it memorized exactly how I order it (mostly cause of all the weird mistakes that have happened over the years)

I just use my hands whenever I can, I never eat anything that requires both hands use utensils, and it is hard to wrap my head around that.

Me too! Though it depends more on the drink and how obvious it is I drank from a spot, but even a glass of water, I try to avoid the same spot.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
Saelune said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Also a super picky eater, I hate it, I wish I could just order whatever and enjoy it.

I also eat basically the same thing all the time. And whenever I go out to eat, it is always the same thing, to the point where I just have it memorized exactly how I order it (mostly cause of all the weird mistakes that have happened over the years)

I just use my hands whenever I can, I never eat anything that requires both hands use utensils, and it is hard to wrap my head around that.

Me too! Though it depends more on the drink and how obvious it is I drank from a spot, but even a glass of water, I try to avoid the same spot.
It would be nice to be able to eat properly at dinner invitations or any place really.
Being a picky eater..or Super Taster maybe ,) ..can be really inconvenient sometimes.

And after you've gotten your fill of that particular product, you have to wait quite a while until you feel like eating it again, right?
Right now, I'm eating fried eggs on toasted sourdough bread for breakfast/lunch and hamburgers with mustard and American dressing between toasted sourdough bread for dinner.
before that it was meatballs and mustard rolled into a soft flat-bread. Don't feel like eating that again anytime soon.
I too have got my standard menu orders already prepared and used in rote.
Cheeseburger, without greens. (Hold the cucumber,tomato and salad)
Vesuvio Pizza, no pizza salad.
Kebab with rice, no (red)tomato sauce only (garlic)white sauce.
Etc.

Huh, mostly just hands. Really? Couldn't that get quite messy?
Do you use bread or something to mop up liquids or to place fiddly items on?

Indeed, same. Which liquid it is does matter when it comes to amount of turnings required. ^^
It just looks so unappetizing when you can see "dregs" and such where you are supposed to put your mouth.
The one exception being coca-cola cans. Which I wipe after each use if it's noticeable.
One could also mark it down to a form of bacillophobia. I would never share with anyone else.
Not utensils, nor drinking item or eating someones left-over.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Hrm, might be beause of the TBI but I'm absolutely smitten with food that is crunchy.

I must admit that I really don't like cooking. Loathe it. When it comes to food, I'm not much of a foodie. And despite how much I actually drink (averaging a bottle or two of wine each day) ... most of the stuff I drink averages out to about 6-7 dollars per bottle.

Basically I probably spend more money on My Little Pony and board game stuff than I do so-called 'essentials'. If it takes more than three steps to prepare, utterly disinterested. And the fastidious penny pincher in me was inculcated from my time being a gutter rat and recognizing food is merely to keep you alive and healthy.

90% of my meals, if it requires more than three steps to actually consume ... really not worth my time. I live in a decent studo apartment with a decent kitchen, and don't own a saucepan. I have a fridge, but that is for white wine or rose predominantly. Haven't turned on the stove in at least 8 months. I'm not sure if you can call it a 'food habit', but I often eat raw fruit and vegetables, as well as uncooked rolled oats and dehydrated fruit & oats breakfast mixes ... particularly if they're crunchy.

Crunchy food > what it tastes like. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. I do love mangoes, for instance. But you'll more often see me biting into an apple. Raw capsicum is also nice and crispy.

Occasionally I eat hot chips at the university pub, but that's because I don't like drinking without a full stomach.

It's kind of funny, because friends who know my eating habits ask me whether I consier being a vegetarian. I don't really think of it, but then again I often go for a week or morewithout eating meat, regardless. For starters you have to cook it. Which is, you know, a bit of a turn off.

But then again, I like prawns ... and I probably like prawns all too much to turn them down if offered.

Basically the only take out I regularly eat is Indian food. Indian food is best food.