Strange insecurities

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I am insecure about myself as a boyfriend (should say potential boyfriend what with being single since August)... I don't worry that I'm not a good person or that I am not attractive or anything like that. And I don't worry that I'm not a good friend, but the second I'm in a relationship I am constantly worried that I am somehow messing up or doing stuff wrong...

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
its totally random but but closets and cupboards always need to be closed. if ones open or ajar i need to close it. i dont know why i feel so insecure when cupboards are open though. everything is organized and in its place so nothing would fall out and break.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I always think people are looking at me and judging me. It makes me really uncomfortable.

My nose is also very, very upturned. You can basically see straight up it. So I always think I've got a booger or something in there people can see. I've been paranoid since I was a child about it, so I'm always rubbing my nose or checking it in my phone's reflection or doing those weird hiding gestures that are an attempt at masking the fact that I'm touching the inside of my nose to check and see if it's clean (yes, I wash my hands often). I also blow my nose a lot because of this. Then have to really, well, wipe out all of the inside just to make sure there's nothing left in there. I blow really hard too, so it's quite loud Yay nose issues. :p

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
I have to double-check that I have locked my door every time I leave my house. I can't just check it while I'm there either, I have to walk a few steps away, then walk back and check it. I have checked my door 3 and 4 times on some occasions.
I do that a lot too.

I think it's because closing and locking the door is such a quick, almost subconscious action, that it barely registers and sometimes I doubt that I did it, thinking instead I could just be remembering a previous time I locked the door.

In fact, I do it so often when I leave the house that I go through a bit of a public pantomime before I turn around and walk back to my door after only a few yards. I make a exaggerated act of patting my pockets and pretending I've forgotten something, just in case the people who may be observing me when I leave my house will think I'm strange for going back so soon and checking whether I've locked the door, again.

I think my insecurity about locking the door started in a previous house which just closed and locked on a latch, so all you had to do was pull the door shut behind you, but sometime the door would swell slightly because of the weather and could catch in the frame, which could potentially cause the latch not to catch (even though it never did).

It's funny that I have an acute awareness of the potential of not shutting or locking my front door properly, even though I have never actually failed to do so.

Still, it doesn't hurt to go back and check, better to add another couple of yards to my journey than get complacent and leave my door unlocked.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have a hard time looking people in the eye. I think I look naturally pissed or angry, and that I have a very intense stare, so if I stare at someone while they're talking to me they'll eventually stop talking and go "Are you angry? What happened? Did I say something?".

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
I'll go to almost any length to avoid eating where strangers might see me. I'm not a sloppy eater at all and eating with family and friends in private is fine, but for some reason having anyone I don't know glance my way while I'm eating makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Sep 13, 2009
Talking to people one on one. I am fine in groups, actually usually I'm one of the more active people in the conversation, but for some reason the second it's just me and someone else that all breaks down. I kind of panic and end up spending all of my attention figuring out how to end the conversation as quickly and cleanly as possible. It's a large part of the reason why in my first two years of University I didn't meet a single new person, and now that I have met people who I'm on speaking terms with I can't help but want to bail when they catch me alone, or I catch them alone.

It's seriously weird, because even if the third person is saying almost nothing I'm much more comfortable with there being an extra person

Zinjin44

Aug 21, 2010
I have distinct problem with giving and taking complements. Logically, I know that it is simply an effort to be nice and to show some awareness of my existence. But always in the back of my mind, especially in the case of complementing someones features, I just feel as though you sound like a big game hunter describing what would look good on their wall or a psycho murderer with a strange fetish. Totally irrational, I know, but nonetheless prevalent. Also I have grown averse to hugs. It might have had something to do with a friend of mine who freaks out when one gave her one and I adopted her manner out of respect, but now its internalized. This perfect storm of phobias makes it that much harder to get along with people, let alone work towards getting a girlfriend. =p
I also agree with almighty aardvark, I become unusually uncomfortable in one on one conversations, as though I feel that I will run out of content in such a way that they resent me, or that something is expected of me. As a result, I think I come off cold and curt, making excuses not to greet my friends, and when I do break the ice, I try to be as brief as possible.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
All my insecurities are strange. See, as everybody that knows me is aware, I'm a perfect human being, so me feeling any kind of insecurity about anything at all is a bizarre thing to say the least.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Occasionally, I'll become utterly terrified that I'll need to display a skill when I can't, so I go on a learning frenzy.

I'm learning how to paint and draw now, just in case.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
Other than the general "I don't think I'm attractive even though it's easy to find women that are interested in me for some strange reason"?
I hate being in groups of more than 4-5 people. Once it gets above that, it feels more like a crowd and I dislike crowds.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
JoshGod said:
Most men have some kind of insecurities about their genitals, whether it be length, girth or the surrounding hair. Those of us who are severally overweight have it even worse due to all the fat, and unfortunately the groin area is the last place it comes of and as someone who has lost most of his weight, I still have a fair amount more there than I would like.

Not sure if this would qualify as strange though.
I'm more or less on that boat slightly myself, though I don't think we can lose it that easily unless there's an operation for it.
FalloutJack said:

Sorry, had to for the analogy.

I feel I've gotta do some things, go and do something fun, myself...or it was never MY thing.
Best episode yet, though now I feel like binging on some snacks while rewatching some good old Dwarf.
I have to double-check that I have locked my door every time I leave my house. I can't just check it while I'm there either, I have to walk a few steps away, then walk back and check it. I have checked my door 3 and 4 times on some occasions.
I used to do that a lot but these days when I lock the door I leave a small sample of blue tack on the edge so all I have to do is turn my head to remind myself that my door is still locked to prevent me from checking it in case I'd forgotten.

It's a bit weird I know but it's how I cope with making sure since down my street during weekends can get a little violent and noisy.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
You know that thing that girls do with each other when they go in for the side kiss. I don't know how to do that. It's far too close for me to see what's going on and it's also totally unexpected and awkward when it happens.

I also hate unexpectedly seeing people I know in the streets because I'm always concerned I was doing something embarrassing the moment they saw me (Did I trip just a moment ago? What expression is on my face? That kind of thing). I used to run into this really good friend from work all the time at Uni. It legitimately would have been nearly everyday. Anytime I tripped or realised I had been deep in thought without concentrating on what I was doing, I'd have a little fright if I happened to see anyone that even vaguely resembled him around.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jamash said:
I do that a lot too.

I think it's because closing and locking the door is such a quick, almost subconscious action, that it barely registers and sometimes I doubt that I did it, thinking instead I could just be remembering a previous time I locked the door.
Heh, me too. Gets really annoying at time, but before checked too many than too few, I guess.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Yes, sometimes I'll rush back to check even if I'm 100 meters away already. I suppose it works like, the further you are from the door, the less confident you are about whether you locked it or not, or something.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Snowbell said:
EeveeElectro said:
People always look confused when I tell them this and insist I'm fine but it's ingrained into my head that I look like Quasimodo. ;;
I know that feel, I've got body dismorphia, so although I can objectively tell you that I am a size 8 with a nice rack, a somewhat plain face but good bone structure I will then continue to tell you how physically repulsive I am

It's so automatic to call myself a whale or use myself as the butt of an ugly joke, and I get told off a lot for it u_u Thankfully, I'm now aware of the problem and although I still see myself as grossly overweight and unattractive I have stopped trying to lose weight in an attempt to rectify said presumed problem.

Captcha: 'ding a ling' Why thank you, Captcha!
I'm on the same boat, lost quiet a bit of weight past one and a half year, people say that I'm slim and yet I fail to see it myself. Became worse enough that I got an eating disorder.

Every time I pack my bag I have to check it twice -or even more- to see if I got everything and if everything still in it. Happend a few times that I forgot stuff and such which is why I do it.