strangest RTS tactics

Protagonist

Feb 23, 2008
I was playing Stronghold maybe a year ago, I was playing my friend via LAN. He had this awesome castle, that seemed almost impentrable. But part of his moat was open, so I distracted all his units with a lone knight, he followed it with almost half his army. I sneaked like 30 assassins in the back of his base, waited till he had turned his volume off, which ment he didn't want me to hear something he was doing. Then I killed his king, and won. It was funny.

stevesan

Oct 31, 2006
How could I forget: Scouting with Terran buildings.

Professional Starcraft Terran players often build an Engineering Bay, lift it off, and hover it to the enemy's base. They make pretty good early scouts since they can hover and have a ton of HP. EBays are also often unnecessary in the early game, so it's OK if you lose it. You can get a good few minutes of solid scouting done with one Ebay at a critical time, and retreat it before it dies (and repair it for another run).

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Company of heroes, opposing fronts.

Using the 'scorched earth tactic' with the panzer Elite and disabling all the stategic points directly next to a American base, so he can't expand at all.

Another: As aformentioned, but using british commandos to booby-trap

Bridges
Buildings
Road Junctions
Wrecks
Your own trenches
Trees
Own buildings.

In conjunction:

randomly firing artillery into random enemy map areas

Destroying every house in Lyon map with creeping barrage.

NickyT

Mar 22, 2008
On Command and Conquer:Generals Zero Hour I will make the merc that shoots guys out of vehicles and some rebels and stick them in a truck. I then find a hole in thier defenses while I get a giant mob to distract them. Go in and find thier construction Dozer. I get my merc to snipe out the driver and get one of my rebels to take the wheel. I then drive for my life because by then they have caught on, but if I'm lucky I get away. I then build a replica of thier base beside mine and destroy them with thier own super weapon. And as I laugh my opponent cries in disbilief.

BlackOps

Mar 23, 2008
blizzardwolf said:
I like to call this one the Way of the Turret, or How I Worked an Offense, Out of Defense

Game: Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

Faction: Nod

Mission: Kane's Tower

Difficulty: Hard

I actually had quite a lot of fun with this one. Playing as Nod in this mission, you find yourself under considerable pressure on all sides, particularly pressure to act quickly in order to salvage the mission objectives.

GDI was launching a massive assault against the phase generators I was supposed to be protecting, and unfortunately keeping enough pressure on my base that I couldn't spare the forces needed to fend them off. I had just enough base defenses and time to build enough units to protect my own base, but every time I tried to move those units to the generators, they ran into GDI and got overwhelmed. And I couldn't demolish GDI's forces nearly fast enough to keep up with their production. In essence, they had me pinned right where they wanted me; so busy fighting them off at home, I couldn't do so abroad.

And then a stroke of sheer, desperate creativity hit me. I immediately started throwing all of my money into Obelisks of Light, eventually producing about 17 of them and instead of seating them at the borders of my base, I dispersed them all within it, next to my structures and beside turret guns and SAM's. (Obelisks are the Nod's best base defense against vehicles, and in multiple numbers can hold a position for quite a while)

I then made the move that would either save my campaign or murder it: I killed ALL power to my base. Everything got shut down, Obelisks, turrets, production facilities, airport, everything. The only thing I retained power for was my radar, so I could guide my small force of Avatars and Vertigo bombers.

I began moving that force towards GDI's southeast base, only this time using a route that went AROUND the one normally taken by GDI to my base. And sure enough, within only a few moments the southeast base had mobilized all of its Mammoth tanks, Pitbulls, and infantry, and was moving hard and fast towards my buildings, completely ignoring my forces marching toward them.

When I reached their base I was already squirming quite a bit. Those Mammoths were making short work of my buildings, and I figured I had maybe 30 seconds before they trashed everything beyond repair. I used my Vertigos to take out their Sonic Turrets, and just like I'd hoped, they had no vehicles left to defend the base. My Avatars quickly wiped out their 2 War Factories, and as soon as I set them to attack the Construction Yard, I immediately started restoring power to the Obelisks, of which there were only 10 now, but which also surrounded GDI's attack force.

The Obelisks of Light quickly wiped the floor with GDI, taking out their Mammoth tanks and Pitbulls before they could retreat or destroy more than two of them. Meanwhile, my Avatars had finished with the Construction Yard, and along with my Vertigo bombers, having been set to the "Aggressive" stance, were finishing up with the rest of GDI's southeast base.

I lost a total of 7 Obelisks of Light, 2 SAM turrets, 4 Laser Turrets, a Barracks, an Air Tower, two Generators, and some Avatars and Vertigos. GDI lost its entire southeastern offensive capability. After that, I marched my Avatars, Vertigos, and Venoms I was back to producing to the phase generators, and easily pushed GDI back. From there, it was just a matter of rebuilding, rearming, and sweeping GDI from the battlefield.

I felt really awesome after this one for a long time.
you sir, are a lucky man. either that, or extremely skilled. that is an awesome gamble, respect for that.

Malic The Great

Mar 5, 2008
Aww. Meshakhad beat me to Petard spamming. Other than that I sometimes like to rush the enemy comander in Supreme Commander with my commander.

FrazzleMcV

Mar 23, 2008
I remember once messing about on single player skirmishes on C&C Zero Hour
Making loads of demo trucks and sending them to an enemy base, except they had to pass through a tight gap that only one truck can go through at a time, so the first one gets to the enemy base and explodes blowing up a huge line of them all the way to my base where there's about 5 that have just be built but not ordered to do anything.
Those trucks were really effective...

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
On RA2 if I had a bit of time on my hands playing versus cpu I would lay siege their base, gradually as they run out of funds they start selling off buildings to pay for units and in the end are left with practically nothing.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
NickyT said:
On Command and Conquer:Generals Zero Hour I will make the merc that shoots guys out of vehicles and some rebels and stick them in a truck. I then find a hole in thier defenses while I get a giant mob to distract them. Go in and find thier construction Dozer. I get my merc to snipe out the driver and get one of my rebels to take the wheel. I then drive for my life because by then they have caught on, but if I'm lucky I get away. I then build a replica of thier base beside mine and destroy them with thier own super weapon. And as I laugh my opponent cries in disbilief.
I love doing that, especially since the SCUD Storm is a rather unreliable superweapon on its own (can't target all the random missiles).

In Axis and Allies (yes, someone actually DID play that game) I always liked to play as Montgomery and entrench a bunch of Heavy Infantry around my base, backed up with enough defenses that I couldn't be hurt. Then I'd build a bunch of airfields, and send 8-12 air strikes on the enemy base while throwing carpet bombs at it. After their base was in ruins, I'd send all my Heavy Infantry in and use fighting spirit to obliterate them.

Edit: Hey blizzardwolf, massive props for that. I applaud the sheer immensity of your balls.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
In Rome Total War I used to build up and develop a spy and assassin with some awesome subterfuge stats and use them in tandem. I'd infiltrate an major city with my spy, which allowed my assassin higher percentages of success in sabotage and assassination. Before my army even approached Rome, I'd destroyed the high-tier barracks, temples, and other assortments of structures in Capua and Tarentum. I steamrolled through southern Italy as the Carthaginians and slowly dissolved Rome into my empire through a long, long siege. By the time I was done with the Romans I had a domain that extended over North Africa, the mediterranean islands, and the Italian Peninsula. I employed the same tactic with the Greeks and Seleucids, who similarly could not reinforce their armies due to my sabotage method.

blizzardwolf

Nov 24, 2007
BlackOps said:
blizzardwolf said:
I like to call this one the Way of the Turret, or How I Worked an Offense, Out of Defense

Game: Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

Faction: Nod

Mission: Kane's Tower

Difficulty: Hard

I actually had quite a lot of fun with this one. Playing as Nod in this mission, you find yourself under considerable pressure on all sides, particularly pressure to act quickly in order to salvage the mission objectives.

GDI was launching a massive assault against the phase generators I was supposed to be protecting, and unfortunately keeping enough pressure on my base that I couldn't spare the forces needed to fend them off. I had just enough base defenses and time to build enough units to protect my own base, but every time I tried to move those units to the generators, they ran into GDI and got overwhelmed. And I couldn't demolish GDI's forces nearly fast enough to keep up with their production. In essence, they had me pinned right where they wanted me; so busy fighting them off at home, I couldn't do so abroad.

And then a stroke of sheer, desperate creativity hit me. I immediately started throwing all of my money into Obelisks of Light, eventually producing about 17 of them and instead of seating them at the borders of my base, I dispersed them all within it, next to my structures and beside turret guns and SAM's. (Obelisks are the Nod's best base defense against vehicles, and in multiple numbers can hold a position for quite a while)

I then made the move that would either save my campaign or murder it: I killed ALL power to my base. Everything got shut down, Obelisks, turrets, production facilities, airport, everything. The only thing I retained power for was my radar, so I could guide my small force of Avatars and Vertigo bombers.

I began moving that force towards GDI's southeast base, only this time using a route that went AROUND the one normally taken by GDI to my base. And sure enough, within only a few moments the southeast base had mobilized all of its Mammoth tanks, Pitbulls, and infantry, and was moving hard and fast towards my buildings, completely ignoring my forces marching toward them.

When I reached their base I was already squirming quite a bit. Those Mammoths were making short work of my buildings, and I figured I had maybe 30 seconds before they trashed everything beyond repair. I used my Vertigos to take out their Sonic Turrets, and just like I'd hoped, they had no vehicles left to defend the base. My Avatars quickly wiped out their 2 War Factories, and as soon as I set them to attack the Construction Yard, I immediately started restoring power to the Obelisks, of which there were only 10 now, but which also surrounded GDI's attack force.

The Obelisks of Light quickly wiped the floor with GDI, taking out their Mammoth tanks and Pitbulls before they could retreat or destroy more than two of them. Meanwhile, my Avatars had finished with the Construction Yard, and along with my Vertigo bombers, having been set to the "Aggressive" stance, were finishing up with the rest of GDI's southeast base.

I lost a total of 7 Obelisks of Light, 2 SAM turrets, 4 Laser Turrets, a Barracks, an Air Tower, two Generators, and some Avatars and Vertigos. GDI lost its entire southeastern offensive capability. After that, I marched my Avatars, Vertigos, and Venoms I was back to producing to the phase generators, and easily pushed GDI back. From there, it was just a matter of rebuilding, rearming, and sweeping GDI from the battlefield.

I felt really awesome after this one for a long time.
you sir, are a lucky man. either that, or extremely skilled. that is an awesome gamble, respect for that.
Well I was pretty sure I was gonna bite soon anyways, so this was one of those "Well... shit, I'm just desperate enough." moves. :p

AsbestosKidney

Dec 5, 2007
Protagonist said:
I was playing Stronghold maybe a year ago, I was playing my friend via LAN. He had this awesome castle, that seemed almost impentrable. But part of his moat was open, so I distracted all his units with a lone knight, he followed it with almost half his army. I sneaked like 30 assassins in the back of his base, waited till he had turned his volume off, which ment he didn't want me to hear something he was doing. Then I killed his king, and won. It was funny.
Damn I loved that game, awesome strategy there :-D

In an older game, Dungeon Keeper, on the very last level one of my enemies had some level 10 vampires that repeatedly teleported into my dungeon... and for some reason they always teleported to the same location. So I built a prison there... two of them teleported right into the prison and were stuck there until I converted them in the torture chamber. I figured it was a bug, but I was a kid without a sense of honour.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
OneHP said:
On RA2 if I had a bit of time on my hands playing versus cpu I would lay siege their base, gradually as they run out of funds they start selling off buildings to pay for units and in the end are left with practically nothing.
I loved RA2. My tactic was the French in "Bay of Pigs". All i did was make my base deffensive with the grand cannon (BTW its a 3 vs 3 match). My allies would take the grunt of the enemy, while i build a Harrier Fleet. Then its just take out the enemies superweapons when they build them, and key buildings they need.

HizerKyte

Feb 15, 2008
StarCraft: Terran Mission 9.

It's the RTS standard of defending an area for 30 minutes, and there are extreme Zerg rushes at 10 and 5 minutes before the end. However, somebody told me that with proper forward planning you could hold the base, get all the upgrades and build a massive invasion force in under 18 minutes. You then sent every single one of them off to the Zerg base, and promptly levelled it. Consequently, you could just amble back to your base and hang around for the end of the clock. Totally inappropriate for the mission but satisfying as hell.

It did get a bit strange however that the mission ends with being overrun by Zerg, when you've spent all your time committing genocide on them. THEY JUST COME OUT NOWHERE!

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
BlackOps said:
mine has to be the time where I placed Snipers, Heavy Machine Gun Teams, mines and Anti Tank guns throughout the entire map (Custom City map in Company of Heroes) and a single Engineer Squad to constantly plant Demolition Charges on his buildings. sure way to lose (all defensive, no offense), but funny as hell as you opponent gets really frustrated (enable voice chat to hear every reaction! after a while he'll cry out in frustation when his infantry is getting sniped again!)
That's great until he builds tanks...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Almightyjoe said:
imperial guard turtle... my solution?

Necron suicide charges en-masse, then, as my necron lord teleports in, the expression on my friends face as he realizes just how many guys i am going to resurrect in his lines... priceless.
That was pretty much the necron strategy pre-1.2. Doesn't work so well any more.

Also, for shits & giggles, if a necron player has been making a nice field-o-corpses, send a builder over to it and cover it in minefields. Necron Lord polls up, raises his army, and BOOM!

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
In original DoW, my RTS-maniac mate had a 3 vs 3 on Kasur Lutien. Unfortunately the dumb bastard he is, he forgot to turn team change off and the skirmish soon changed to a 5 vs 1 with everybody against him.

Since he was playing Eldars, he built about 30 webways and layed out at least 4 bases.And surprisingly enough, using relocate and hit&run tactics he managed to win.

As for my own tactics: Back in DoW, there wasn't an Eldar Support Platform limit so I used to build 20 of them D-cannons and rush the enemy base.They crushed buildings within seconds while I flanked the base with my infantry.

The Strangest Tactic: Eldar again(as the most tactical DoW race). We once had an Eldar player requesting resources and ,once he got 5k from every one of us(It's was an 4vs4 on that round map), he built 20 Bonesingers and begun to fill the Relic(in the center) with turrets and web ways.I doubt ANYTHING could get past that defence.

It's a shame that the game only lasted about 5 minutes before host disconnected us.

BlackOps

Mar 23, 2008
wilsonscrazybed said:
BlackOps said:
mine has to be the time where I placed Snipers, Heavy Machine Gun Teams, mines and Anti Tank guns throughout the entire map (Custom City map in Company of Heroes) and a single Engineer Squad to constantly plant Demolition Charges on his buildings. sure way to lose (all defensive, no offense), but funny as hell as you opponent gets really frustrated (enable voice chat to hear every reaction! after a while he'll cry out in frustation when his infantry is getting sniped again!)
That's great until he builds tanks...
would you be so kind as to read the bit again where i said that i laid MINES (throughout the entire map) and build ANTI TANK CANNONS? trust me, he eventually defeated me (with 4 tanks), but not before suiciding plenty of units into the minefields outside my base.