strongly considering getting a MAC. help me.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
Let me be clear. I am not an apple fanboy by any means. I have never owned an apple product before, but am thinking that it might be time to start.

I write a pen and paper RPG that is available for sale online in PDF format. I also want it to be available for print on demand services. but in order to make a PDF and cover that work in that format, i would need new software. Something about imbedding fonts in the PDF. MACs have been recommended to me because of their usefulness in desktop publishing and all that stuff. Really all the work has already been done in Micrsoft word, i just need to convert it to a PDF with imbedded fonts on the MAC. I am not sure it it would be worth my time and energy learning new hardware and software to get the MAC, but i want to put out a professional looking product. Is a MAC worth it.

Next, i need to make a website for my game. Not much, but it needs to look professional. Again, i understand that MACs are good at this stuff. I can code HTML a bit. But not to the level i need to create a professional looking website.

Lastly. My Dell desktop just crashed hard. very hard. i need a new computer anyway. My PC laptop still seems to have some time left, so i am just needing a replacement desktop. I figured this is as good a time to get a MAC as any.

Help? comments? Questions? opinions?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'd only recommend Macs to high-output artistic users. If you're going to be writing a LOT, then go for it.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Invest in software instead. The days where Apple computers were faster for graphic design and desktop publishing are long gone.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
I'd recommend going to this website first before making any decisions.

http://www.newegg.com/

I have a Mac, and I love how it runs, but you don't need a Mac just to create PDFs or make a professional looking website. I'm not dissing Apple, but their stuff is really expensive. :/

Jimmy Sylvers

Aug 30, 2011
There is nothing that a mac can do that a PC can't. The whole 'macs are better for design' thin is said by people who don't understand why. Mac used a graphical user interface first but seeing as both mac and windows are using them now it makes no difference.

Also as far as I'm aware macs have lower res. monitors.

I use both macs and PC's but a mac is really just the same computer with an expensive case.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
There is no point in getting a Mac unless you really, really need to use Mac only software for your work. Even then there is always the hackintosh route if you are sufficiently tech savvy.

Graphic design people still favour them largely out of a desire not to change to a Windows machine, they want to avoid worrying about technical details and the hassle that comes with ensuring that they buy a PC right for them. The only real advantage Mac has today for creative professionals is that they get higher quality IPS monitors by default, allowing for better colour reproduction which does help for the graphic design/video/photo editing applications. IPS displays are also available for PC, but you have to actively seek them out, to keep costs down most PC monitors don't use IPS, you usually have to look for the $500 and up monitors if you want an IPS panel on PC.

Really, just get some software on Windows to modify your PDFs. I doubt the ability to embed fonts on a PDF only exists as part of Mac only software.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I'd recommend using a Linux distro instead. I can see where you're coming from with Windows being deficient in so, so many ways, but I don't think it's worth shelling out for a Mac if all you need to do is create PDF's. Linux has a pretty nice range of software, much of which is a lot better than the Windows equivalent. Mac is probably better, but Linux is free.

Acaroid

Aug 11, 2008
THAC0 said:
Let me be clear. I am not an apple fanboy by any means. I have never owned an apple product before, but am thinking that it might be time to start.

I write a pen and paper RPG that is available for sale online in PDF format. I also want it to be available for print on demand services. but in order to make a PDF and cover that work in that format, i would need new software. Something about imbedding fonts in the PDF. MACs have been recommended to me because of their usefulness in desktop publishing and all that stuff. Really all the work has already been done in Micrsoft word, i just need to convert it to a PDF with imbedded fonts on the MAC. I am not sure it it would be worth my time and energy learning new hardware and software to get the MAC, but i want to put out a professional looking product. Is a MAC worth it.

Next, i need to make a website for my game. Not much, but it needs to look professional. Again, i understand that MACs are good at this stuff. I can code HTML a bit. But not to the level i need to create a professional looking website.

Lastly. My Dell desktop just crashed hard. very hard. i need a new computer anyway. My PC laptop still seems to have some time left, so i am just needing a replacement desktop. I figured this is as good a time to get a MAC as any.

Help? comments? Questions? opinions?
You could use a PDF printer?

I have this one http://www.novapdf.com/ I paid $20 and ANY program that has a print function I can turn into a PDF.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Supernova1138 said:
IPS displays are also available for PC, but you have to actively seek them out, to keep costs down most PC monitors don't use IPS, you usually have to look for the $500 and up monitors if you want an IPS panel on PC.

Really, just get some software on Windows to modify your PDFs. I doubt the ability to embed fonts on a PDF only exists as part of Mac only software.
Even with the 500+$ Display, a PC will likely be cheaper than an equivalent Mac.

About that PDF software: You (THAC0) mentioned that you wrote the text in Word. Word can export PDFs with embedded fonts since Office 2007, so I don't really understand the problem, to be honest.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
OP, this should help you.

Copy the image URL and read it if you can't see it.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
bahumat42 said:
similar.squirrel said:
I'd recommend using a Linux distro instead. I can see where you're coming from with Windows being deficient in so, so many ways, but I don't think it's worth shelling out for a Mac if all you need to do is create PDF's. Linux has a pretty nice range of software, much of which is a lot better than the Windows equivalent. Mac is probably better, but Linux is free.

yeah theres good reasons why the free ones are free, you spend more time trying to make them work properly than using them.
But once they work..

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I love my Macbook. It's a smooth machine with hardware that's not incredible, but more than functional (even now, and it's a couple years old), and I still think OSX is far and away better than anything Windows has put out.

As for your specific needs, yeah, it's certainly better for artistic and publishing ventures in general. Some great freeware to that effect as well, and viruses really aren't an issue (I know they exist, they're just hardly as common and I haven't come across any in my extensive freeware searching). So I highly recommend it.

Also, I love this touch pad. It's a relatively small thing, sure, but everything about using this computer, from the smoothly-running OS to the mutli-touch pad is a beautiful experience.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
As a Mac user (bought it second-hand), I have a few words of advice:
Don't buy one.
As much as people might SAY it's better for artistic requirements, I've found that nearly all WIndows computers seem to work better. Mind you, the Macbook I have is about 5 years old (the late 2006 model) and runs fairly slowly, but even when it was still considered good, it wasn't as good as it was supposed to be.
Also, the graph/diagram/thingy that Lyri posted is spot-on.
EDIT: Also, if you're spending $2000+ on a Mac, you could get a better quality Windows laptop for the same price, or maybe cheaper.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
So you want to make PDF's from word documents. Use Open Office. No need to thank me http://www.openoffice.org/ you don't even need Microsoft Office anymore. Go fourth be strong.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Supernova1138 said:
There is no point in getting a Mac unless you really, really need to use Mac only software for your work. Even then there is always the hackintosh route if you are sufficiently tech savvy.

Graphic design people still favour them largely out of a desire not to change to a Windows machine, they want to avoid worrying about technical details and the hassle that comes with ensuring that they buy a PC right for them. The only real advantage Mac has today for creative professionals is that they get higher quality IPS monitors by default, allowing for better colour reproduction which does help for the graphic design/video/photo editing applications. IPS displays are also available for PC, but you have to actively seek them out, to keep costs down most PC monitors don't use IPS, you usually have to look for the $500 and up monitors if you want an IPS panel on PC.

As opposed to paying Apple $800 for one of their monitors? They aren't value for money under any consideration.