Student Protest

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
lacktheknack said:
dex-dex said:
lacktheknack said:
FoAmY99 said:
9000 pounds a year? at the current exchange rate between the USD and BPS that totals to $14,553.80 I pay the equivalent of 13,900.20 British pounds PER SEMESTER. Thats 27,800.40 per year in British pounds.

And last i checked the consensus is that the quality of higher education in the UK is better than here in the US. Still think you guys are getting a raw deal?
I think you need to come to Canada. I'm at one of the top five universities here for $6000 a year.
wait where do you go to school then?
I know i am not at the best college but everyone comes for the animation. (can YOU guess where i am going? if so you can get a cookie!)
Gah... I should know that, but I don't.

And I go to University of Alberta.
NICE! yeah I want to move out west so pretty! :D a lot better than Ontario.
I go to Sheridan college in Oakville,Ontario.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, quite frankly...they asked for it. This is what happens when people feel they ain't being listened to during peaceful protest, and this government never listens. Though seriously, high youth unemployment figures and support for said unemployed is cut, higher uni fees, EMA being cut, as well as general youth services being cut (for one thing, a local youth counselling centre has had to lower their maximum age limit, as they can no longer afford to treat as many people)...it seems to me this coalition government has it's sights set on "sacrificing" the younger generation to pay for their and the bank's mistakes.

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
It's good with some protest but what really annoys me is the media, who try to sell it as an anarchist rebellion (or something similar)

look at this picture series http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11728003 especially the one with a guy kicking in a window. Most of the onseers are photographers and media crew, there's even a police officer wathcing!

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Huh. I remember when in Holland the middle schools (that's ages from 12 to 18, right?) protested about some thing or another. point is, I walked in the 'procession', and when I saw some idiots smashing shit, stelaing, and throwing eggs, I just left. I didn't want to be part of a crowd that had no goal other than destruction.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Another idiotic decision from Britain, the Con-Dem-nation.
A little number cruncher:
Potential money saved from all of the cuts (Yes all of them) over the next 4 years: £81 Billion

Potential money saved from scrapping Trident, a useless and outdated system: £97 Billion

Now you see why you shouldnt vote for the Tories (or the Lib-Dems, those backstabbing bastards)

Hoodsie

Oct 9, 2010
Some wanker voted the fucking tories into power.. this is what happenes, they're trying to make uni's exactly like private schools, only the rich can go there... now isnt that a CHANGE from their usual policy

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
T0RD said:
It's good with some protest but what really annoys me is the media, who try to sell it as an anarchist rebellion (or something similar)

look at this picture series http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11728003 especially the one with a guy kicking in a window. Most of the onseers are photographers and media crew, there's even a police officer wathcing!
Actually, I wouldn't say the media have been doing that at all, the bbc have spent a lot of time saying that this is just a minority of the protesters and most were peaceful.

As for that photo, of course there are a lot of photographers there, they stormed a government building, that's quite newsworthy.

WildCards

Dec 3, 2009
Ha. My friends went to this protest, us being college students and are going to be going to university soon. [I couldn't go as I had to go on an art trip. :(]
I am for this protest, University fees are expensive enough as they are and most people are in debt at the moment when they leave, so why raise them higher? It's because our country is screwed, we are in a lot of debt that people aren't really aware about.
I do believe that some people did go a bit too far with the destruction thing though. Yet, annoyingly to say, it made the government pay more attention to the issue, yet they aren't now going to be happy to keep the fees as they are, because some people at that protest have seriously pissed them off.

Hoodsie

Oct 9, 2010
HankMan said:
ANARCHY IN THE UK >D
Seriously though, I'm for anybody standing up for themselves! STAY STRONG! Don't let them get away with it guys!
yep. happened last time we had a torie leader, mrs thatcher aka wicked witch of the west, now we've got cockschops again, i really hope we get some anarchy! :p

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
As soon as objects were thrown it devolved from a 'protest' into a 'riot', which essentially destroyed the point of the gathering and damaged their position for the future.

Honestly, pelting the Tory headquarters with eggs and rocks was not the way to go here, and I rightly agree with the head of UCAS in condemning it.

The_Fuzz22

Feb 11, 2010
On the one hand, getting violent at a peaceful protest achieves nothing.
On the other hand, I've always found the whole protest march thing to be ultimately pointless. Can't think of a single important situation where it's ever solved anything or changed a governmental decision significantly. We're allowed to have our little protest and then we get hushed and sent back to bed.

On a related note I heard one interviewee on the radio today saying he thought "damn right the students should pay more. We all work for a living and make do so they should just get on with it, not drink so much and stop complaining". I mean first of all, I doubt absolving from alcohol would bring up the cheeky £6000 I needed on top of what I was originally paying, and second of all I bet he was singing a different tune back when he got an education.
Twat.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Hoodsie said:
Some wanker voted the fucking tories into power.. this is what happenes, they're trying to make uni's exactly like private schools, only the rich can go there... now isnt that a CHANGE from their usual policy
Some wanker? You're aware that more than one person voted right?

Hoodsie

Oct 9, 2010
Bobic said:
Hoodsie said:
Lol its the english democtatic system.. nobody votes :p

(yea was a typo :p )

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
Doclector said:
Well, quite frankly...they asked for it. This is what happens when people feel they ain't being listened to during peaceful protest, and this government never listens. Though seriously, high youth unemployment figures and support for said unemployed is cut, higher uni fees, EMA being cut, as well as general youth services being cut (for one thing, a local youth counselling centre has had to lower their maximum age limit, as they can no longer afford to treat as many people)...it seems to me this coalition government has it's sights set on "sacrificing" the younger generation to pay for their and the bank's mistakes.
Couldn't agree more! There has been three protests that i know of about exactly the same thing and its only now that any of them get media coverage? In Britain today peaceful protests dont work, if the government keeps ignoring them its bound to only get worse

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
Kirkby said:
Hey everyone, to catch up none UK residents and people not watching the news....

First of all in the UK the government is raising the annual fee of £3000 to £9000 for university students, this has caused a lot of anger and today a protest turned a little violent today.

Students stormed the Millbank tower and began protesting there. Windows were smashed and bonfires lit but no one was seriously hurt. The media is up in arms about it and everyone is calling it a disgrace. But is it?

I mean as far as i know no ones been hurt and the most violent thing i saw was window smashing and its gotten the nations attention, unlike every other "peaceful" protest so maybe something will now be done.

So topic for discussion.. If youv been following this on the news are you for or against this protest? If you dont live in the UK/dont know wtf is going on, do you think peaceful protests are effective? Or is it sometimes good to cause a stir to raise awareness for an important cause

p.s just to state its important to remember there have been no serious injuries, obviously very violent protests are always wrong
I would like to register my support for the protesters although you might want to add that this is almost entirely "south of the border" in England/Wales just now.

Yet another reason I am glad to be Scottish first, British second.

Regarding the effectiveness violence gets attention, I'm not saying its right I'm saying it works (see also terrorism) Also "everyone is calling it a disgrace" makes me laugh. France dissolves into chaos at a threat of raising the retirement age but a bunch of students making a protest where some cause a bit of trouble is a disgrace?

Different people different lives I guess.

Hoodsie

Oct 9, 2010
The_Fuzz22 said:
On the one hand, getting violent at a peaceful protest achieves nothing.
On the other hand, I've always found the whole protest march thing to be ultimately pointless. Can't think of a single important situation where it's ever solved anything or changed a governmental decision significantly. We're allowed to have our little protest and then we get hushed and sent back to bed.

On a related note I heard one interviewee on the radio today saying he thought "damn right the students should pay more. We all work for a living and make do so they should just get on with it, not drink so much and stop complaining". I mean first of all, I doubt absolving from alcohol would bring up the cheeky £6000 I needed on top of what I was originally paying, and second of all I bet he was singing a different tune back when he got an education.
Twat.
He probably didn't have the shitty torie laws in either at the time hehe, england need to realise that leaving our country in the hands of rich twats is a bad idea :p

Aug 25, 2009
I am a third year British university student who opposes the cuts because they expose the Conservatives for the elitist pricks that they arr.

I am from a Middle Class family, and since the Student Loan (for living expenses) is calculated based on household income, I get the lowest amount of £3,000. Meaning I will leave university with £18,000 of debt. If a working class family gets the full amount of Student Loan and a £9,000 loan or grant for tuition, they will leave with approximately £54,000 in debt. This is not fair. Even the Middle Class kids will leave with £27,000 now.

It's not fair and it's probably not possible for them to pay this back. Do you know who can pay that sort of money back? Rick people, the upper class, the so-called 'Social Elite.' In other words, the people who the Conservative favour and support and want to help. This is not going to help the universities, what it's going to do is confine higher education to the rich people, which is of course something the Conservatives whole-heartedly support. Probably a lot of universities will shut down or become Polytechnical colleges. What's a polytechnical college? Well it was a joke institution the Conservatives put in the last time they were in power to try and appease the lower classes.

No protest will change their mind because the Conservatives are single-minded in their determination to return us to the 80s, when they had their last hey-day. You remember, when England went through one of the worst recessions in its history? I agree there weren't many other options but it seems perverse to replace a government who aided (though it was largely America's affect on the world economy) getting us into a recession with a government who last time managed to get us into a crippling recession all by themselves.

Do you know what they'll do next? They have plans to privatise the institution of the Student Loan. That means that Student Loans will be controlled by private firms, like getting a bank loan, interest will kick in immediately after you finish, or even while you're still at university, and will be at a rate set by the private company, not the government. There will only be two kinds of student in the future, those who are from rich families and go to university, and everyone else, who doesn't.

Holy_Handgrenade

Feb 16, 2009
Not really, most of the time you will be percieved as a brutish thug.

Lets have Al Capones response to this bit of news.
"You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
--- Al Capone

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Hoodsie said:
Bobic said:
Hoodsie said:
Lol its the english democtatic system.. nobody votes :p

(yea was a typo :p )
Well still, I don't think you can blame people for voting tory. Labour did a pretty good job of messing stuff up over the past almost decade and the lib dems are seen as rather pitiful.