Studio Seeks Female Directors For Wonder Woman

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Dont know what they think a female director will add. Wouldnt a female script writer be better? Personally i dont give a shit about the director, just get someone who is the best fit for the job instead of gaining PC points. Looking at directors the guy that did Salt was good and Angelina Jolie was awesome in it.
The person portraying Salt also had more acting chops than "token female in male power fantasy franchise with cars."

OT: This project will fail solely if Warner/DC sticks to its guns and makes this, like all projects in a post-Nolan Batman world, grimdark/super-serious/"grounded in reality"/no laughs. Not because of what's between the director's legs and the only lesson Hollywood will learn from it is that female superheroes just can't hold their own solo movies... Bunch of idiots.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Aiddon said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
I almost get the feeling WB are INTENTIONALLY trying to fuck-over any chances this movie has of being good.

An minuscule proportion of directors are female. What is to be gained by severely cutting-down the available pool of directing talent/experience/etc by so much?
Maybe sending a message that the film industry needs to diversify itself? At the very least it's a bold move in an industry that severely needs to branch out
Diversification should NEVER be forced like this because it only sends a wrong message. Gender should NEVER take priority over talent, capability, vision and experience.

marscentral said:
Hiring a woman to direct seems pretty much the most right, most character savvy thing that the DCCU has done. Wonder Woman was created to be an inspirational figure for girls in the way Superman was for boys. The fact is, while we all like to think of Hollywood as a bastion of leftist hippy liberalism, that's mostly in front of the camera not behind it. The business side is a giant sausage-fest boys club, like most other businesses. Very few women ever get the opportunity to direct films for the major studios and the only way to change that is to give them more of a chance. Only one woman has ever won a director Academy Award, in 2009 after 80 years! Frankly, it's nice to see Warner Bros. do right by Wonder Woman on this instead of handing another major film to another dude.

All those crying "sexism" can go watch Green Lantern, Catwoman and Batman and Robin and see what destruction and misery the "best man for the job" has wrought in the director's chair!
How about keeping their options open and seeing which director is the most eager/keen, with some decent experience, good history, powerful vision, inspiration, etc to direct this kind of movie? Why even bring gender into it?

Movies range from good to bad, directors also range from good to bad. What do those things have ANYTHING to do with the goddamn genders involved? Why even make that a thing, why even bring it up?

Seems incredibly stupid.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
[facepalm]
You know, if studio just came and said that this and this director was chosen for XYZ it would be ok.
But specifically saying that they want a female director...
This is exactly how NOT do this.

Aaron Sylvester said:
Aiddon said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
I almost get the feeling WB are INTENTIONALLY trying to fuck-over any chances this movie has of being good.

An minuscule proportion of directors are female. What is to be gained by severely cutting-down the available pool of directing talent/experience/etc by so much?
Maybe sending a message that the film industry needs to diversify itself? At the very least it's a bold move in an industry that severely needs to branch out
Diversification should NEVER be forced like this because it only sends a wrong message. Gender should NEVER take priority over talent, capability, vision and experience.
SILENCE!
How dare you imply that merit is more important than genitals!

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
You know something?

As much as this is using someone's gender when judging their appropriateness for a role, and as much as this does greatly limit their selection; I can't help but think that when dealing with a major female character, a female being in charge isn't a bad idea. Wasn't this a criticism of the Jen movie adaptation (a series that was created by a woman, yet had three guys working on the movie)? If someone was making a movie about black people, or Jewish people, wouldn't they prefer to have a black or Jewish director respectively to make sure there weren't any major missteps or criticisms?

Now that I think about it, maybe this move is to protect the movie about criticism over depiction of females, since such criticism has been gaining a lot of attention in the last while, and it's hard to avoid with a Wonder Woman movie from the outset.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Fox12 said:
I suppose she could do for Wonder Woman what Nolan did for batman.
Why the fuck would any Wonder Woman fans want that?

I'm not sure if this counts as truly sexist since they aren't advertising the job with a 'No Cock's' clause but are rather assembling a list of the well known women directors and are approaching them directly, but it is narrow and bound to fuck up. Don't forget two of the character's most celebrated writers were George Perez and Greg Rucka.

I understand the symbolic nature of the gesture, but I suspect it's going to come around stick a pick-axe in their arse.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Fox12 said:

I'm not sure if this counts as truly sexist since they aren't advertising the job with a 'No Cock's' clause but are rather assembling a list of the well known women directors and are approaching them directly, but it is narrow and bound to fuck up. Don't forget two of the character's most celebrated writers were George Perez and Greg Rucka.

I understand the symbolic nature of the gesture, but I suspect it's going to come around stick a pick-axe in their arse.
I'm not particularly fond of her either. I don't care to see the see the scene where Wonder Woman tortures someone for information, then goes all "'merica, fuck yeah" on us. That said, she's clearly the most qualified individual on that very short list. Either way, I probably won't watch it.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Good. I might worry a bit about unrealistic expectations of whoever they pick as a result, but even if it were my place to worry about that, I wouldn't ponder it too much.

...it probably says something about how monumentally DC has been screwing things up recently that I'm kind of suspicious why they're doing this, but it doesn't matter either way. If they're genuinely trying to get some female director a leg up in an industry where they're the minority, for a movie where it makes total and perfect sense to do that, good on them. If they have some more cynical motive...well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Fox12 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Fox12 said:

I'm not particularly fond of her either. I don't care to see the see the scene where Wonder Woman tortures someone for information, then goes all "'merica, fuck yeah" on us. That said, she's clearly the most qualified individual on that very short list. Either way, I probably won't watch it.
I like Kathryn Bigelow well enough; she also directed Point Break which is as different to her more recent output as night is to day. I just don't see the appeal of dark knighting Wonder Woman. What's especially odd is that scene you mentioned, actually happened in that fucking disastrous (but thankfully cancelled) pilot episode of what was to be her TV show. Seriously, look it up on YouTube or watch the review with Linkara, Film Brain and Nash. Just skip ahead if you don't like their hammy acting to the start of the commentary.

http://blip.tv/radio-dead-air/wonder-woman-2011-a-review-5888251

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Nurb said:
You'd think they'd want a big fan of the source material to ensure the best outcome.
Hear that? That's every fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender giving a short, hollow laugh and restoking the perpetual fires under their M. Night Shyamalan effigies.

A director being a fan of the source material is no guarantee for something even watchable. And for Wonder Woman specifically, I doubt I'd trust anyone short of Gail Simone herself on "fan potential" alone.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
NeutralDrow said:
Nurb said:
You'd think they'd want a big fan of the source material to ensure the best outcome.
Hear that? That's every fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender giving a short, hollow laugh and restoking the perpetual fires under their M. Night Shyamalan effigies.

A director being a fan of the source material is no guarantee for something even watchable. And for Wonder Woman specifically, I doubt I'd trust anyone short of Gail Simone herself on "fan potential" alone.
To be fair Shitmalan calling himself a "fan" of the show was purely his own claim and not even REMOTELY close to believable.

Actually I'm having trouble trying to think what was more insulting, the movie itself or the director calling himself a fan...urgh why did you even bring that up, now I'm all angry -_-

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Fox12 said:
Gordon_4 said:
Fox12 said:

I like Kathryn Bigelow well enough; she also directed Point Break which is as different to her more recent output as night is to day. I just don't see the appeal of dark knighting Wonder Woman. What's especially odd is that scene you mentioned, actually happened in that fucking disastrous (but thankfully cancelled) pilot episode of what was to be her TV show. Seriously, look it up on YouTube or watch the review with Linkara, Film Brain and Nash. Just skip ahead if you don't like their hammy acting to the start of the commentary.

http://blip.tv/radio-dead-air/wonder-woman-2011-a-review-5888251
Oh, wow... this was much worse than I could have imagined, even in a parody. Very disappointing.

I was surprised to see Jesuotaku in that video. I haven't seen her in ears, it's nice to see she's moved on to bigger and better things.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
NeutralDrow said:
Nurb said:

To be fair Shitmalan calling himself a "fan" of the show was purely his own claim and not even REMOTELY close to believable.
The man knew enough of the story to try desperately to pack what felt like half of the entire first season into a single feature-length movie, and foreshadowed Azula's involvement. Based on that and my own assumptions of ATLA's quality, I have no doubts at all that he loved the show. Even with the race lifts and name pronunciation changes, none of it could be blamed on lack of familiarity, so I'd consider the movie itself to be the greater insult.

Either way, still ties into this discussion.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Sigh...

Female Director does not guarantee movie about most well-known female figure in comics will be good. That's like saying only a man can make a Superman movie good. I want to TRY and applaud Warner for the idea of diversifying their director's pool for these films... but this just comes off so... bad that I can't. I really can't. Just find a director that fits the tone your going for and believes in the story you're wanting to make. That's all you need. They can be male, female, or trans and that wouldn't change anything unless they give a shit about the film their going to be making.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I have no expectations for Wonder Woman. Therefore, I cannot be dis-

Well, I hope I'm not.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nghtgnt said:
Gender politics aside, I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty of Hurt Locker - could someone who has please comment on whether Kathryn Bigelow would be a good choice here?

That there is one of Bigelow's first films, see also Blue Steel, Point Break and Strange Days. Great action chops.

Bigelow would be an awesome choice.

Lana and Andy Wachowski could be even better.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Nghtgnt said:
Gender politics aside, I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty of Hurt Locker - could someone who has please comment on whether Kathryn Bigelow would be a good choice here?
Her last movie was a CIA-backed propaganda piece that misrepresented real war crimes that the CIA committed and still hasn't been punished for.

If I was the producer for this movie and wanted to convince people it wasn't going to pull the same BS as the series pilot from a few years back and turn Wonder Woman into a villain with good publicity, she'd be at the bottom of my list.