Study About 'Sexist Games' is Severely Flawed

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:
Okay, I'm going to sidestep the whole study and just ask one question that I think is a fair one to ask - why make an article attempting to criticize a study while not reporting on the original study itself? Its not like its an old study whose credibility has suddenly fallen into question. I just don't see the point. Its like making a long-winded response video to a Youtube video with 12 views - who gives a shit? If one doesn't care to report on it when it was published why does one care about a response to it? I don't understand any logic behind it besides "because clickbait".
When bad information goes unopposed it often gets confused for the truth. That youtube video may have only 12 views, but thats 12 people who wanted that video to be made. That being said, if one does not care about a report on the study why does one comment on such report?
The point is that you a site is devoting page space to a subject that probably doesn't deserve the attention it is being given. If a newspaper's front page story was "This Youtuber's theory about aeroplane chem trails are inaccurate", people might come away thinking that such a negligible story is actually much more important than it really is. Any media outlet has to figure out what gets prominence (they only have so many journalists and headline space), and it raises an eyebrow if it goes after something so paltry. There is a danger that it is also straying into nut picking [http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nutpicking] territory for the purposes of indulging a particular political view of its readership.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
maninahat said:
Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:
Okay, I'm going to sidestep the whole study and just ask one question that I think is a fair one to ask - why make an article attempting to criticize a study while not reporting on the original study itself? Its not like its an old study whose credibility has suddenly fallen into question. I just don't see the point. Its like making a long-winded response video to a Youtube video with 12 views - who gives a shit? If one doesn't care to report on it when it was published why does one care about a response to it? I don't understand any logic behind it besides "because clickbait".
When bad information goes unopposed it often gets confused for the truth. That youtube video may have only 12 views, but thats 12 people who wanted that video to be made. That being said, if one does not care about a report on the study why does one comment on such report?
The point is that you a site is devoting page space to a subject that probably doesn't deserve the attention it is being given. If a newspaper's front page story was "This Youtuber's theory about aeroplane chem trails are inaccurate", people might come away thinking that such a negligible story is actually much more important than it really is. Any media outlet has to figure out what gets prominence (they only have so many journalists and headline space), and it raises an eyebrow if it goes after something so paltry. There is a danger that it is also straying into nut picking [http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Nutpicking] territory for the purposes of indulging a particular political view of its readership.
A study that is attacking gaming and was reported as truth by multiple news website is not worthy of attention of a gaming website? Also unlike physical paper, Online publications dont run out of "headline space". In fact more articles are better for them because that means more clicks.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
There was no attempt to gauge the opinions of the participants prior to exposing them to the games - so there was no baseline on how empathetic they were prior to being exposed to the game, nor was there any way to determine their beliefs on the "masculine behaviors" prior to playing the games. Each participant was given a specific objective in the game, which is not uncommon for a controlled study - however, there was no comparison between the short-term objective-based play (do this mission right here) and the player's ability to play without any sort of mission.
Exposing them to the question beforehand would influence the results. This is correct when you have objective measurements such as a blood sample since you need a baseline. For monitoring your personality however whenever you get a repeated question you will try to answer in a similar way as your initial answer.

The fact that people universally deemed too immature to play a particular game may have concerning reactions to playing aforementioned game is not particularly groundbreaking - otherwise all games would be recommended for all players.
Neurobiology (or actual science) has shown that neural plasticity decreases with age making younger participants more suited for studying behaviour as they are more prone to change. The mechanisms for this are clear and how to increase plasticity has been demonstrated in rats. Older individuals form less new synapses and make fewer connections. Also let's face it, we all know plenty of people too young to play games will play them.
only 48 participants were included in the small group who played these "violent sexist" games, and half of them were female. Of the "violent sexist" game participants, only 4 were over the age of 16
Do we actually have enough information to know whether or not this is a small sample size or not? If they did a power analysis and figured that including more participants was unnecessary then it's fine. If they did not do that or figured they would need more to reduce the standard deviation (although I am guessing if they used deviation of some sort they were using SEM rather than SD) then we should discredit it completely. Simply saying that their sample size is too small shows lack of understanding of statistics. I know enough statistics to say I don't know if that is enough or not. Maybe some of the brighter members of the site can chime in?

I've spent plenty of time talking about that one small group, though. Now, let's take a look at the "neutral" and "violent non-sexist" games. To begin, not a single 15-year-old was assigned either of these titles - every single 15-year-old participant was assigned one of the "sexist" games. The "neutral" games, rated 10+, were played by mostly of 18-year-olds, while the pair of Half Life titles, rated 16+, were played by mostly 17-year-olds. Both of these categories were made up 100% of people in the recommended age group for the games, whereas only one participant in the "sexist" group met the criteria for playing the game in the first place.
This however is a solid point. I would also have added that Half-Life as the violent game is a bad pick. It's not personal like GTA, nor are you the agressor, the majority of the enemies aren't even humans. Manhunt would have been better and maybe one group with Spec Ops: The Line would be interesting.

I haven't read the study myself, but I distrust any research based on subjective data by default. We should probably isolate kids from birth and have them play these games 8 hours a day for a few years then release them back in the wild and see if they start catcalling women and beat up prostitutes to get their money back after sleeping with them.

Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:
Did you know that 50% of the articles published in Nature in neurobiology has been shown to be incorrect in their analysis and should be retracted? That one third of publications in life science in general can not be replicated by independent laboratories? Why aren't there articles on that? Shoddy science happens in every field, it's a huge problem, but every single article doesn't require a long article which (poorly) picks it apart. The peer review system needs to improve and all journals need to agree on certain standards.

Why are we so set on debunking this study? Because we disagree with it. Sadly that's what science is facing across the board. Studies showing that homeopathy doesn't work in double blind trials is met with the same type of arguments as come up whenever someone says anything bad about video games.

Damir Halilovic said:
They asked teenage boys whose hormones are turning their brains into a supernova if "It is OK for a guy to use any and all means to 'convince' a girl to have sex" and expected rational mature answers?

These KIDS are 15 years old. Holy fucking shit.

Into the trash it goes.
This is greatly exaggerated, our hormones aren't really that different during puberty as most think, but coupled with immaturity and lack of experience it does have some funny effects. This would have been fine if the average (or median) age of the groups were similar. They really did inavlidate their study on that one though.

Also because I know this is necessary I DO NOT PERSONALLY THINK GAMES CAUSE SEXISM, OR VILENCE, BUT I DO NOT HAVE PROOF ONE WAY OR THE OTHER AND I DO NOT THINK WE SHOULD LEND TO MUCH WEIGHT TO STUDIES THAT DO NOT SHOW ADVANCED BEUROBIOLOGICAL MECHANISMS THAT CAN VALIDATE THEIR CLAIM

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Stewie Plisken said:
?It is OK for a guy to use any and all means to ?convince? a girl to have sex
How about you make that a little more vague? Next time, answer the question yourselves whydontcha?
Yeah that part is really weird. Someone answering "Yes" to that question can go from:
"Yes, I will buy her chocolate and flowers and take her on fancy dates to get her to want to have sex with me."
over
"Yes, It's totally ok if a girl is drunk out of her mind when she decides to have sex with me."
to
"Yes, I can just point this gun at her head to convince her that she absolutly wants to have sex with me right now."

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Yopaz said:
Strazdas said:
Did you know that 50% of the articles published in Nature in neurobiology has been shown to be incorrect in their analysis and should be retracted? That one third of publications in life science in general can not be replicated by independent laboratories? Why aren't there articles on that? Shoddy science happens in every field, it's a huge problem, but every single article doesn't require a long article which (poorly) picks it apart. The peer review system needs to improve and all journals need to agree on certain standards.

Why are we so set on debunking this study? Because we disagree with it. Sadly that's what science is facing across the board. Studies showing that homeopathy doesn't work in double blind trials is met with the same type of arguments as come up whenever someone says anything bad about video games.
Because Escapist isnt Neurobiology or life science (whatever that is, im guessing a magazine name?) site, but it is a gaming site. Its not like its unprecedented, escapist has reported on at least a dozen of studies related to gaming in the last that i remmeber of.

Im not aware of anyone in the medical field that actually supports these homeopathy studies. heck, most of the studies used by homeopaths themselves claim that the author did not found a link between homeopathy and medicine.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
maninahat said:
* So what if the study shows only pictures of violence against women? The object of the test was to see if empathy levels were effected by sexist games, not to see who the participants empathise with more.
Which makes the conclusion absolutely unreliable, because the researchers assumed instantly that the subjects didn't empathize because of and not despite the fact that a woman was portrayed as a victim (by the by, the picture they showed them seems to have been fairly tame as well). All the while it ignores upraising, family environment, values, pre-conceived notions on social issues, education, peer & group mentality and other things that would factor in any kind of response to a matter as complicated as this.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
This started as a complaint that maybe female characters shouldn't be sexualized so oftenly because it's awkward, because it paints "gamers" as the group that "wants this" and because it's a tired cliche and we would please like something new.
That's where we were when femfreq did the tropes vs women kickstarter and that's how it got funded.

And now? Now it's "games cause violence" all over again. What the fuck.

I'm done.
That whole "games cause violence" thing was my childhood and I lost enough braincells arguing against that wall of stupidity already.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Strazdas said:
maninahat said:
Strazdas said:
MarsAtlas said:
A study that is attacking gaming and was reported as truth by multiple news website is not worthy of attention of a gaming website? Also unlike physical paper, Online publications dont run out of "headline space". In fact more articles are better for them because that means more clicks.
There are a million shitty game studies quoted by a million misguided newspaper stories. This one isn't even notable compared to those. As to web space, whilst it is true that you can have an infinite number of articles, for practical and aesthetic reasons you only put so many on a website's front page. The Escapist has a scrolling headline thing, four main stories on display, and a small list below. I only found this story through the comment page.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
maninahat said:
There are a million shitty game studies quoted by a million misguided newspaper stories. This one isn't even notable compared to those. As to web space, whilst it is true that you can have an infinite number of articles, for practical and aesthetic reasons you only put so many on a website's front page. The Escapist has a scrolling headline thing, four main stories on display, and a small list below. I only found this story through the comment page.
Escapist has actually reported on quite a lot of gaming studies in the past. Also the webiste gets less than 10 new content items per day nowadays, one extra isnt really going to push anything out of the front page.

Also if its the same scrolling headline i think your talking about, mine has 7 stories? could it be just related to screen size?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Someone paid a lot of money to have this study conducted. I can only imagine that with results as skewed as this, whoever that person was got exactly what they wanted.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Strazdas said:
Because Escapist isnt Neurobiology or life science (whatever that is, im guessing a magazine name?) site, but it is a gaming site. Its not like its unprecedented, escapist has reported on at least a dozen of studies related to gaming in the last that i remmeber of.
Life science = science about life. So cancer research, immunology, neurobiology just to mention a few examples. These articles are reported in the media (not understood, but reported). It's rarely reported even by science journals. This is article exists out of a personal bias which is as unscientific as the original article. That's why I am criticiszing it. If the criticism had been good and well thought out it would at least have been entertaining, but this is basically a circle jerk. Write a biased article and present it to a biased audience. Anti-vaccine sites do the same and they sometimes make more good points than this article.

Im not aware of anyone in the medical field that actually supports these homeopathy studies. heck, most of the studies used by homeopaths themselves claim that the author did not found a link between homeopathy and medicine.
So you are claiming to be an expert in behavioural studies now? I never claimed medical experts disasgree on homeopathy, although plenty of them do in fact believe in homeopathy and some doctors also have homeopathic background and offer homeopathic treatment and claims it's better than conventional medicine. I said people. As in non-experts. That includes the author of this article who clearly doesn't grasp the statistics behind choosing a sample size and it includes me as I am mainly concerned about inflammation.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah, since there was no baseline (as any good scientist knows, there has to be one), then the results of this study are automatically invalidated.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, it's kind of hackneyed. There are a couple of things wrong with the study that are pointed out by the author here (nice job, Lizzy). I have read some interesting comments here about how there is not baseline, but that isn't true, that is what the non-violent game is supposed to be in this case. That said, even if you could consider this a strictly good study, good use of scientific method does not automatically make for "good science".

We know for a fact (as shown by other studies) there is a short term change in emotional attitudes after various types of stimulus. We also know that shortly after, the people return to their default state (regression towards the means). Unless someone lived in a state that enforced unsympathetic attitudes towards women constantly, there is no actual danger of ill effects of video game violence being permanent.

Lets also face the fact here that even GTA is not about violence towards women exclusively. Yeah, you could beat some women to show you are "manly" (which is hilarious because the idea that being sexually aggressive or violent towards women is not going to be considered "manly" by everyone, it's going to change from person to person), but that will make for a boring game very quickly and it's more than likely most people would just stop out of boredom. It's also not about driving badly, gunning down cops, committing robberies.... no studies are trying to enforce the idea that video games increases the number of these things or the likelihood of someone committing these types of crimes. No, it's an aimed study made to prove a specific point.

It does do that in the short term... but as I stated earlier, a good study =/= good science.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Stewie Plisken said:
maninahat said:
* So what if the study shows only pictures of violence against women? The object of the test was to see if empathy levels were effected by sexist games, not to see who the participants empathise with more.
Which makes the conclusion absolutely unreliable, because the researchers assumed instantly that the subjects didn't empathize because of and not despite the fact that a woman was portrayed as a victim (by the by, the picture they showed them seems to have been fairly tame as well). All the while it ignores upraising, family environment, values, pre-conceived notions on social issues, education, peer & group mentality and other things that would factor in any kind of response to a matter as complicated as this.
But that's why you try to work with randomly selected groups of a sufficient size; to control the confounding variables created by the things you listed. If all of those factors had a strong enough influence that it creates nothing but sprawling, uncorrelated data, the test would be completely unreliable. But if among big enough random groups, there is still a reasonable correlation forming, then those outside influences aren't having too negative an influence to throw off the results.

Cekil1

Aug 22, 2008
Holy Hell, I can not wait for the media to grab onto the next "thing" and leave my hobby alone. Art, Books, Films, Television and now Video Games. Does everything someone else finds interesting have to be responsible for the fall of Mankind?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
008Zulu said:
Yeah, since there was no baseline (as any good scientist knows, there has to be one), then the results of this study are automatically invalidated.
Yah, among other things. This at its best is a qualitative study with all the hallmarks of being lead. That's said, missed potential. This could be another showing of the temporary effects in thinking playing games have on you, currently known to make you a bad driver after you play Mario Kart.

Of course that would have been in the call for further research in a good study. Which this is not.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
So, is it safe to assume that based on the results of this study, Silvio Berlusconi must have played a hell of a lot of GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas to have turned out the way he is?

Damn Rockstar, turning Italian men into sexists with their misogynistic games.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
crimson5pheonix said:
What if it was being reported uncritically as fact in a bunch of other publications like Cnet, Time, The Daily Telegraph, and The Daily Beast? There are a lot of publications just taking the study at face value while this is one of only three that actually look into the study.
Are they reporting the findings as unquestioned fact or are they reporting that a study has claimed to have certain findings? Because there's a difference. The former is not acceptable, the latter is barring it passes a few certain conditions.
While there is actually very little difference between the two, they are just assuming it is factual and leading their audiences to believe it is factual. So yeah, modern terrible reporting. From multiple major outlets.