Study Declares Dead Space 2 "Scariest 360 Game"

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
AwesomeFerret said:
I notice they didn't include Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which probably skewed the results a bit, because from what I hear, that game is way scarier then Dead Space 2 is.

EDIT: Sorry, a typo was bugging me.
Haven't played Dead Space 2 yet, but the first one didn't have crap on Amnesia.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
The same people will have different opinions if Amnesia The Dark Descent is ever released on XBLA. Christ, Demon's Souls was way more scary than Dead Space.

I stand corrected.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Out of those games, Alan wake is the only one I haven't played. I have to agree with them though, I found Dead Space 2 scarier than Condemned and RE5.

Although there results aren't really well done. For instance, I found Dead Space scarier than Dead Space 2, but they haven't included that game in testing. Another thing is that they have only tested it on 6 people, which obviously isn't good enough to "Declare Dead Space 2 Scariest 360 Game.

They need to include MANY more people and A LOT more games before I can take this seriously.

EDIT: Also, why are loads of people bringing up Amnesia? It isn't a 360 game, and the title clearly says "Scariest 360 Game".

EDIT 2: Looking at my games list, I have F.E.A.R 2 on the PS3 (but you can get it for the Xbox 360), and in my opinion, that was much scarier than all those other games on the list combined.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Well there goes rule one of statistics... not just label your axies but also give values... for all we knw DS2 is the least scary and has been scaled to make it higher.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Cool study, I really like the graphs. We should see more of this sort of thing in game development. Namely, monitoring subject's autonomic responses to specific events in games to maximize our fear/adrenaline. The study doesn't look like it's published, but this kind of preliminary stuff is definitely enough to get the attention of companies like Valve and Bungie.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
They forgot Amnesia. Whoops, maybe they should have included what most of the gaming community thought was the scariest game this year.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
ShadowsofHope said:
..Also, the Seekers always scared the living fuck out of me (or whatever they are called again, the zig-zag-charge dinosaur-like necromorphs) playing Dead Space 2. Hear the screaming, hear the footsteps, and then.. BAM! Right in the fucking gut..
Due to Helloween4545 LP, they are forever know has Turkey Demon, at least in my head.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
id say this test was a failure because dead space 2 isnt scary at all >_>

My vote based on what iv played is one of the Condemned games

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Phase_9 said:
They forgot Amnesia. Whoops, maybe they should have included what most of the gaming community thought was the scariest game this year.
Not a 360 game so cant be adding it read fully thank you

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Erm...I'd say 'Condemned' was far more frightening than DS2, largely because Dead Space falls into the 'Doom 3' pitfall of letting you pack an armory into your trousers against which even Satan can't help but fall to pieces.

In 'Condemned,' the first person perspective helped a good deal, but it was also how you're basically down to your own two fists to deal with enemies, and maybe whatever you can pull off the environment. If you do get a gun, the experience is fleeting when you discover that 'Condemned' has taken the realistic route of slain enemies not dropping ammo when they die. What a shocker! That crackhead I just shot didn't drop any 9mm bullets! All he had was a pipe...which he had been swinging at me before I shot him.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
This is fascinating. The application of scientific principles to game design is...beautiful.

Of course there is something that is worth pointing out: People are wondering to themselves why Dead Space 2 got so high, when it really isn't that scary. Well, remember that they were measuring physical responses to the game: Really, this is measuring moments of shock, being startled, that sort of thing, not the deep, rising dread of a scarier game like Amnesia. I think this is an excellent way to look at tension building, shock, and frustration versus fear, and shows the strengths of Dead Space in particular, as a startling action game. This could be excellent data for making a startle-filled action game like Dead Space, and could give a little insight into making a game that is properly scary.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
That is unfair to all those horror games that are far better/scary than the Dead Space series. Not saying Dead Space is bad, but it's not the best the genre has to offer.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Dead Space 2? Scary? Hahaha! You just made my morning. That's a pretty good joke right th-
Oh... You're being serious.
Don't get me wrong, I love Dead Space, it's just not that scary. Sure, there were a few bizzare moments, such as the Lovecraftian final boss fight, but nothing really horrified me.
You want scary? Amnesia: The Dark Descent is what you've been looking for.
EDIT: Derp, I almost forgot that it was 360 games only. If that's the case, I guess Dead Space is a pretty good option for being scariest, but is this mainstream big developer titles only? That's strange, because I remember a certain very popular stark black and white indie game featuring innocent children dying at the hands (Legs?) of a giant spider that had me recoiling in dread quite a few times.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
As a point, while we might not be scared by dead space, the majority of the world doesn't see that stuff.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
dead space 2 scary, BULL FUCKING SHIT it only managed to startle me like twice amnesia was 10,000 times as scary, I approach dead space with the same level of fear as I do call of duty