Study: Don't Use Wi-Fi Near Your Junk

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
I doubt that the use of laptops and WiFi actually would have a lasting effect on the testes, perhaps a period of lesser fertility, but not permanent sterility. At least, I hope.

Orks da best said:
CosmicCommander said:
My router is a foot behind me.

Fuck.
lols, but really, how does it this even work? wi-fi makes sperm lazy?
the radio waves would probably interferes with the genetic structure of the cells, causing them to mutate a bit and die.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
Greg Tito said:
So it is with great skepticism that I present to you a study from Argentina that proves sperm cells - one half of the necessary ingredients to make tiny baby humans - were never meant to browse the internet.
you're contradicting yourself there: you say that they proved it, while the scientists, whom you quote only a few sentences later, say that it MAY decrese fertility.

You might not see it as a problem, but it's these exagurations that make the Escapist an unreliable news source.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Surely they would have, but where does it say that the control group was exposed to a laptop without wi-fi on?

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
Does nobody think that maybe it may have to do with the fact that they apparently had the container UNDERNEATH the laptop?

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Really?

Ok, lets do the math here.

29 men. With a control group: 14 or 15 people in each group. 25% of the test group: 3.75. 9% of the test group: 1.35. 14% of the control group: 1.96. 3% of the control group: 0.42.

What we're looking at here is noise. And thats assuming theres even any relationship between collected samples and internal sperm, and assuming that the control was properly done (was it put under a laptop that was producing the same heat but with WiFi turned off?)

WiFi is non-ionising radiation. It is orders of magnitude less powerful than visible light. This is nowhere near a significant enough result to even bother reporting, given that there is no plausible mechanism and significant contradictory research.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Laptops get pretty hot, especially after continuous use. Isn't it possible that the heat from them is what killed the extra sperm?

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Well my labtop's on my lap right now, and i carry around my ipod all day in school where there is a constent wi-fi conection fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I thought they did this study a thousand times already and came to the conclusion it was the heat the laptops put off that cause the sperm to die off. This really is a useless experiment and proves nothing about wifi. Electro magnetism maybe but it's just heat causing it i'd guess, also it's far more important to know if it affects reproductive organs. You can replace all of the sperm in a couple days the balls... less so.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I assume the control group was a bunch of sperm next to non-wifi laptops, not just a bunch of sperm sitting on a table?

Also, what's up with the tiny sample sizes? All the studies I read about on the internet seem to be content to study under the standard minimal sample size of 30 people :\ (and imo 30 is really small)