Study Says Gamers Are Bad Drivers

Inmate13

May 5, 2009
This entire study was built on the blatant misconception that all gamers play racing video games... Really ask yourself that question: How many gamers, Overall, actually play racing games? Personally, I haven't played a racing game since San Francisco Rush on the 64 which, even in my pre-pubescent mind, I treated more as skillful, gravity-based, ramp-launcher game with cars and streets rather than an actual simulation of automobile piloting.

Tear down this fucking article and all the crocked-up, pseudo-scientific research behind it

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Since the study was done in the UK, I doubt it applies to me.
The UK Government and several enviromentalists have united opinions on gaming and driving. That is to say its bad. Pressures already on from the EU to cut the carbon footprint and old people are quick to blame the digital age for any problem including:
Bad driving.
Obesity.
Antisocial behavior.
Degredation of pro-social behavior.
Bank bonuses.
Unemployment.
Inflation.
Terrorism.
Gang violence.
And so on.

Given that about half of the population are people that grew up in the 50's you would see where this support comes from. Though some of them are actually justified and some are plain BS.

I have no idea why i wrote this.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
That study can kiss the deepest part of my crevice.

Honestly I think the majority of people are able to differentiate between GTA / GT and the real world. Not as if they're all driving around thinking "I'll take him on the next corner, might be able to get away with a P.I.T maneuver to speed it up if noone's looking."

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Well I guess that officially makes me a freak because I recently celebrated 10 years of driving with hardly a stain on my character. My licence is clean and the only time I hit someone the damage was limited to my own car (cracked headlights) and so my insurance claims bonus is also undamaged.

I can remember the first time I hit a patch of Diesel on the road when driving a friends car. The back kicked out as it was on a bend and I caught it instinctively. He put it down to the fact that I was spending an unhealthy amount of time playing GT2 and Driver 2...I put it down to instinct.

Let's go through the list...

?Stopped by police: 22 percent to 13 percent - Actually yes. Twice. This frist time was at 3am on a very cold morning. My handbrake kept sticking on and when I tried to pull away from lights, it took some time. The copper behind me pulled me to make sure I was awake (a reasonable suspicion considering the time!) and not so tired I was unfit to drive. It was all good...

The second time I hold my hands up to. My fault - fair cop. Peeling away from lights when angry and I didn't see the rozzers were behind me. Took the bollocking / patronising lecture with good grace and utter (and sincere!) shame, which was all I got, thank fuck!

?Used a phone while driving: 19 percent to 12 percent - Only complete dickheads do this.

?Made a claim for an accident: 30 percent to 15 percent - Yeah on someone else's insurance when he smashed into the back of, and thus destroying, my first car at high speed.

?Ran a red light in past 12 months: 31 percent to 14 percent - Not that I know of...

?Driven wrong way down one-way street: 13 percent to 10 percent - Just once and I blame still blame that taxi driver in Hackney for it.

?Hit stationary object while parking: 22 percent to 13 percent - Guilty - it was a toilet. Don't ask...

?Kept quiet about banging into another car: 19 percent to 11 percent - Nope. Only ever hit another vehicle once and I couldn't really get out of it, even if I wanted to!

?Taken risks (accelerating too quickly, passing, etc.): 44 percent to 21 percent - Sometimes you have to stick your neck out. I'd also debate the use of the word "passing" ("overtaking", presumably) as if it were risky no matter what the situation!

?Suffered road rage: 45 percent to 22 percent - Do you know what causes most incidents of road rage? Other drivers' blithering stupidity. If someone does something that could have potentially risked your life and. more importantly, your car wouldn't you get very cross?

?Speeding: 25 percent to 13 percent - My licence is clean, that's all I'm gonna say!

?Scaring passengers: 26 percent to 11 percent - Well it's not my fault my passenger was such a boring old fart that they consider 25mph to be an acceptable speed on a dual-carrigeway!

?Attempts to pass driver's test: 2 to 3 - *cough*Four*cough*

?"Prangs" in the past 12 months: 1 to 2 - None, thank fark. Although some shite has whacked my front wing with their door (presumably in a car park) and creased it. Knobend...

Oh...

It seems that I was wrong judging on some of my answers. I guess my clean record is some kinda fluke altough I'm still very proud (and protective!) of it!

Drive safe!

Wardy
(Who has just started playing GTA IV again, funnily enough!)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
and yet they pass the test more quickly. this study shows nothing about driving skill, it only really pertains to driving habits, and it basically says that guys who play racing games drive like their in a racing game.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Funny thing this study.
When i was learning my instructor noted that i pick up driving really quick and also said that usually teens who practice with him and play racing games are better drivers than non-gamers.
I dont know if its true but i am a great driver. . . . sometimes i drive with a finger...or witheout hands lol :D but i dont take risks...im super duper lazy n polite. I couldnt care less if i have to stop n give way to someone....
I have scrathed my car 3 times during parking but thats simply cuz my car is alot bigger than the tiny toyota i used to learn so the view was different....i just take my time now and its all good :D

EDIT:
P.P: What is that Road Rage thing that ppl reffer to? :O

Gamers FTW!!!! Need For Speed FTW!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This shocks me. The stupidity I see others exhibiting behind the wheel of a car is abominable. I don't believe this study for a second.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I would have to see a larger amount of people over more than one continent take this quiz before coming to any conclusions. 1,000 gamers may be a number with one too many zeros, but that's nothing compared to millions upon millions that play racing games at least once as a whole. Also, what game system did they play? Any specific games, or is it just ANY racing game? Would I get worse in driving from playing F-Zero on my gameboy color than Saints Row?

I play games, yet I drive well. In fact, I'm all out paranoid in how I drive. The only fender bender I had was when a truck ran into the back of me at a red light (then the driver yelled at me, because I did not... uh... Move or something.) I passed my drivers test with one try. I have never received a ticket, and the only time I speed at all is when I'm driving a car I'm unfamiliar with that has monstrous acceleration.

The only times I make bad decisions while driving are when I'm in the express lane of a mall parking lot full of stupid people.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I'm 20, been driving for 2 years and all my friends joke about me being a bad driver. Actually the only ones who joke are the ones who can't drive...
I reckon I'm a cracking driver which probably means I'm not

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Gamers keep swerving off the road to hit hookers and get their money back.

Jokes aside, does that only apply to racing gamers or all gamers?

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Stopped by police: 22 percent to 13 percent
I haven't been stopped [sub]yet[/sub].
Used a phone while driving: 19 percent to 12 percent
No. I park by the road/in a bus pocket if I need to use my phone.
Made a claim for an accident: 30 percent to 15 percent
Nope, no accidents.
Ran a red light in past 12 months: 31 percent to 14 percent
No, that's just dumb and dangerous
Driven wrong way down one-way street: 13 percent to 10 percent
Again, no. Dumb and dangerous D:
Hit stationary object while parking: 22 percent to 13 percent
No. I practiced on cones for three weeks straight when I was training for my certificate
Kept quiet about banging into another car: 19 percent to 11 percent
No cars hit, see above.
Taken risks (accelerating too quickly, passing, etc.): 44 percent to 21 percent
Yes. What? I got 455 Horsepower in my Chrysler Neon, and now you're saying I can't put it to use?
Suffered road rage: 45 percent to 22 percent
Maybe. Does being stuck behind a tractor doing 30 km/h for 30 minutes while swearing like no tomorrow count?
Speeding: 25 percent to 13 percent
I may have gone double (or triple) the speed-limit on more occasions than I can count on my hands and toes...
Scaring passengers: 26 percent to 11 percent
No. If I got passengers driving with me, I drive with the utmost care.
Attempts to pass driver's test: 2 to 3
Two tries indeed. I'm not fond of city drivin' so I was a nerve-wreck that first day.
"Prangs" in the past 12 months: 1 to 2
What is a "prang", and do I need antibiotics to remove it?

And also, I'm gonna blame this on Gran Turismo if I gotta blame a game for it... Which I shouldn't, I'm the one responsible, not a game.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
This is an outrage! When I play GTA and Saints Row I make sure to only run over the pimps and crack-whores.

Sep 14, 2009
Wieke said:
And have they excluded other variables (like age, gender etc)?

Also, it appears we crash less, and get our drivers test quicker, so not all is bad.
the two that we do win in, i would consider above all the other statistics

we crash less...isn't that the whole fucking point of driving?

and we get our drivers license in a less amount of time..doesn't that mean we are better drivers?

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
I'm probably one of the most careful drivers in my group of friends, which has most likely annoyed countless folks on the highways (and a couple friends on some occasions). Sure, the first three games I got were racing games, but that was back in N64 times. Diddy Kong Racing has killed any fun that was to be had in racing, for me. So most (if not all) of that stuff at the end didn't really apply to me.

Although, now that I think about it, I do get frequent dreams where I'll be driving a car and I'll crash into someone or something and start to freak out about it...

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
My guess is gamers have a higher aggression rate due to the reality of driving not being as stimulating as driving in the real world.

Just my hypothesis... I've never had a problem, but I can see how this is true.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Zayren said:
What is a prang? It sounds like a disease.
dakorok said:
Considering that Racing games are all about speed, I'm not surprised by this. Also, what the fuck is a "prang"?
NeutralDrow said:
Um...what's a prang, again?
Wolfram01 said:
?"Prangs" in the past 12 months: 1 to 2 (...What??)
dakorok said:
Considering that Racing games are all about speed, I'm not surprised by this. Also, what the fuck is a "prang"?
dancinginfernal said:
What in good God's name is a prang?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+prang

Any other questions?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I been playing racing games, all the way back to commodore 64, started with test drive and formula 1 games on the commodore, had racing games for nes, etc, played most every gt game on playstation, played rfactor on pc.

do i accelerate faster and tend to drive over the speed limit? hells yea, have i gotten many tickets? got pulled over a few times mostly for not having my seatbelt on rather than speeding.

But i do notice when i play alot of gt5 for instance, i am driving much harder than say if i am in non racing gaming cycle. but also have to say that i generally drive harder than most people, i late break, i accelerate thru turns, i get up to speed fast, and i loathe the 25 and 35 mph speed limits in quiet back streets that have loads of visibility and a wide road to drive on, cetp during school hours when kids are being dropped off or picked up.

never been in an accident but a elk crossing the road in front of my car at 3 am, beyond that my skills have often saved me form getting into accidents rather than causing them since i tend to look for the quickest way out of a sticky situation, rather than slam on the brakes and hope things turn out alright, can think of 2 or 3 incidents where speeding up saved an accident where breaking would have caused one. but i do not drive super crazy anymore lest not since my teens and early 20s when i would max out a car speed when on the interstate from time to time. now days i pretty much accelerate quickly 5 to 10 mph over the limit and cruise.

so i can see where this study does have some correlation to speeding tickets and the like but the fact that us "race" drivers get into fewer accidents, also means we are safer drivers rather than dangerous.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This would be why I choose racing games with physics that actually resemble this universe. I'm not suprised Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed has created quite a few bad drivers. When you can powerslide a car for 4 or 5 miles at 250 miles per hour. Its just stupid. Not fun, stupid! On the other side, don't be shocked when some teenager thinks that its actually possible in the family car.